The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Poke him... no, YOU poke him...
Please Father... we need you. 20 25.32%
Chew on that, Rat Finks! 10 12.66%
Dude, check out the nose nuggets... 11 13.92%
Everything you know, I have taught you... but I have not taught you Everything I know.. 38 48.10%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Machias Banshee
The Ravishing Reptile

Official Ep Discussion #13 "I, Monster"

So, we have a part Two to our Leatherhead Adventure from a few weeks back!

When we last saw the turtles, they'd taken a trip to the twilight zone inside an old subway car to what looked like a sewage plant, leaving Leatherhead in the hands of the Kraang.

Now, "I, Monster" is the same title that was used in the 2003 Series that introduced a Rat King that lived in the ruins of an abandoned industrial park. He was originally a prototype of a super soldier designed with DNA from both Splinter and Agent Bishop. Thus, the whole rat control thing... but things didn't go well, and he ended up getting eaten by his own rat minions in an old brick silo.

Rumor is, we are going to get a first look at our strange new Rat King - nowhere near as muscular, and a lot more rotten looking, like an old corpse - which kinda freaks me out. And this time, the Realm of the Rat King is very different...

The question now is, how will this Rat King be different? Sure, he'll have his mental abilities with the local rodent population. As the above clip shows, he's gonna get his claws into Splinter's brain at some point (poor bugger...) - but for him to appear in the leatherhead storyline... is there some strange sort of correlation, or is this simply the beginning of a longer, more complex storyline for the season? And HOW does he get his abilities in the first place?

We've just passed halfway this season, and if the quality of what we've seen already is a hint of what's to come... we're in for a hell of a ride.

More to come as we find more information!

STAY TUNED!
"Stories are relics, part of an undiscovered pre-existing world. The writer's job is to use the tools in [their] toolbox to get as much of each one out of the ground intact as possible." ~Stephen King, On Writing
FanFiction
DeviantArt
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Machias Banshee
The Ravishing Reptile

We're Open!
"Stories are relics, part of an undiscovered pre-existing world. The writer's job is to use the tools in [their] toolbox to get as much of each one out of the ground intact as possible." ~Stephen King, On Writing
FanFiction
DeviantArt
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
cryan
Stone Warrior

Just saw it. Nice episode. I won't spoil it but the Rat King is someone to guys fought before.
cryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee View Post
We're Open!
'bout time!

I thought this was a solid remake of "Enter the Rat King."

Quote:
So, we have a part Two to our Leatherhead Adventure from a few weeks back!

When we last saw the turtles, they'd taken a trip to the twilight zone inside an old subway car to what looked like a sewage plant, leaving Leatherhead in the hands of the Kraang.

Now, "I, Monster" is the same title that was used in the 2003 Series that introduced a Rat King that lived in the ruins of an abandoned industrial park. He was originally a prototype of a super soldier designed with DNA from both Splinter and Agent Bishop. Thus, the whole rat control thing... but things didn't go well, and he ended up getting eaten by his own rat minions in an old brick silo.

But I guess this episode really wasn't a "Part 2" of the Leatherhead episode; which means that episode really did have a weird ending.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Lethal Lullaby
Foot Elite

This episode was too amazing for words. And when that one scene between Leo and splinter. I was on the edge of my seat. I give this show 5 stars.

Last edited by Lethal Lullaby; 01-26-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Lethal Lullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Zany Orange Dude
The Little Nerdy Teacher

That was an awesome episode! I truly loved it. Probably one of my favorites yet!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I'm watching it now
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
Machias Banshee
The Ravishing Reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
But I guess this episode really wasn't a "Part 2" of the Leatherhead episode; which means that episode really did have a weird ending.
The way it ended, I'm thinking the episodes were put out of order. It's too odd of an ending to stop like that, there Has to be more to it.
FanFiction
DeviantArt
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
The way it ended, I'm thinking the episodes were put out of order. It's too odd of an ending to stop like that, there Has to be more to it.
I was thinking that too. "It Came from the Depths" ended on a double cliffhanger with Leatherhead fighting in the sewer and the turtles stranded in the subway car by the factory. Most episodes have ended with a brief little epilogue scene back in the lair with Splinter, but that one was the exception.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
pannoni1
Foot Elite

Good episode; Splinter's spell against the Rat King was definitely taken a lot further than he did in the OT, and this Rat King sure looks scarier compared to the others, and I enjoyed all of those horror gags and jokes. I also thought that April was going to get kidnapped before Don saved her, and I like her ringtone when she alerted the Turtles after Splinter was under the Rat King's control. It also showed the Turtles' fighting development proving that they are just as strong as Splinter, meaning that when Shredder comes back, they will be ready for him. We got another Channel 6 appearance, even if the font/graphics feel retro '70s/'80s.

Overall: 8/10

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Best episode yet (IMO). I thought it was really cool that
Spoiler:
The Rat King was Falco, I thought they wouldn't ever bring him back.
Anyway, I love how they showed the patrol buggies, Carlos Chang O Brian Gambe, Mr. Murakami, and more.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Awesome episode. Rat King was so creepy. My favorite parts are seeing the turtles in the daytime, Splinter with Rat King, Splinter attacking April, and Splinter vs Turtles. Also love how Splinter took out Rat King.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
tmntfan4ever
Foot Soldier

this was a great episode and a great debut for Nick's version of the Rat King tho I still do not like how Nick is kinda lacking in a continuation episode from the episode "It Came From the Depths". Nick shoulda made this the 14th episode with a part 2 for a Leatherhead episode being the 13th episode.
I loved it when the rat bit Mikey on the head and then he said "They got the taste for turtle now"
tmntfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
snake
Noided

That was a great episode, the turtles vs splinter was amazing. One of the episodes best yet. Still hoping they would continue leatherheads episode by making rat king live in the abandon sewer plant they landed in at the end of the ep. Still great!
But does rat king disappearing cross out any chance of seeing him again?

Last edited by snake; 01-25-2013 at 06:11 PM.
snake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
Coola Yagami
Emperor

I love how they went deep into Splinter's mind. Falco even used his memories of his burning house against him.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
DonatelloRules
Random Punk

I really liked the new episode- it appears the graphics have improved drastically. My favorite episode so far.
DonatelloRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
meta ray mek
Random Punk

My only minor complaint with this episode was that the 'Mikey is buttmad over the Rat King's name (or the fact he didn't get to name him)' joke went on a little longer than it should have.

That said, this episode did not disappoint.

I'm a complete sucker for psychological-oriented plots (either exploration and/or horror), and this episode delivered it in spades. I think what really got my heart wrenched was in two spots:

Spoiler:
When Leo used the picture to try and snap Splinter out of it, and when he called Splinter "father". Which, if I'm not mistaken, was the first time they've called Splinter that in the series thus far.

So yes. This was definitely worth the wait (moreso for a die-hard Splinter fan like me).

Also, Rat King was suitably creepy. Also, I literally shuddered aloud when they pointed out the wall of rats. D;
Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I like that they seem to be filling out the environment a lot more, we had a lot of shots of random humans walking the street or being attacked by rats. And When the turtles are jumping on buildings in the daytime we see cars! Yes actual moving cars on the street! It's actually starting to look like a real city I hope they continue to improve on that.

Always love seeing Splinter in action and we got a ton of that this episode. Rat King is a sufficiently creepy villain, can't wait to see him again.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I like that they seem to be filling out the environment a lot more, we had a lot of shots of random humans walking the street or being attacked by rats. And When the turtles are jumping on buildings in the daytime we see cars! Yes actual moving cars on the street! It's actually starting to look like a real city I hope they continue to improve on that.

Always love seeing Splinter in action and we got a ton of that this episode. Rat King is a sufficiently creepy villain, can't wait to see him again.
Does it need to be said for the millionth time that the show doesn't take place in Manhattan and areas like Brooklyn and the Bronx are actually quite empty at night?

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rat king