The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 12-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Bill
Stone Warrior

1995 Adventures Turtles Figure Series: Safari Mike, Arctic Don and Deep Sea Diver Leo

Hello Guys, thanks a lot for all your comments and head ups in my previous threads.

1995, In the twilight on the Tmnt mania these three figures came out as part of the Adventures Turtles Series: Safari Michaelangelo, Arctic Donatello and Deep Sea Diver Leonardo.

The carboard artwork was nice, of course we cannot compare it with the ones used until 1992, farewell brick wall and hello city sewer. Well, at least we got a single illustration for each of these figures (very few go that privilege since 1993. I also like that the “compass” sticker in the bubble with the figure´s name.

Let´s start with my favourite turtle, Mike, Safari Michaelangelo figure was very good, with a whole new mold (all these three figures were completly new molds). I think it was a mixture of Cocodrilo Dundee and Indiana Jones. (Maybe I get stuck in the eighties, lol) .

The accessories were very nice either and included: a Real Workin’ Water Shootin’ Gun, Banana Munchin’ Monkey Pal, Hunting Knife, Nasty Nunchakus, and of course the now ultra searched Gold Metalized Kowabunga Collector Coin.
I must say I love the figures “sidekicks” (like Flyboy, Kid Kangie, Larry The Lemur…) and this set set of figures got huge companions.

Safari Michaelangelo never appeared in the original tv show, although in the episode 29 from Season 4: “What´s Michaelangelo good for?” might have been a good occasion to make his debut

I still haven´t found a review on youtube of Safari Michaelangelo

I believe this is a nice figure to have and It would have been awesome to play with it in a custom jungle along with Doctor El, King Lionheart and Sergeant Bananas.

The Second of this Adventures Turtles I would like to show you is Deep Sea Diver Leonardo

(Photo courtesy of Hotc_Network).

The Figure itself was very nice and huge, I loved the fact that they went to an old fashioned swimmer, a whole new mold and not another repaint of a figure like 1992 Navy Seal Mike.

The accessories were really good and included: a Real Workin’ Water Shootin’ Cannon, Overstuffed Octopus Pal, Anchor Style Katana, Extra Hard-headed Helmet and the Gold Metalized Kowabunga Collector Coin.

I still haven´t found a review on youtube of Deep Sea Diver Leonardo

Deep Sea Diver Leonardo never appeared in the original tv show, however It could have been used in the period where the Technodrome was sank under the ocean. I think this figure it´s a nice addition to your collection specially if you already got the 1991 Sewer Sub and 1992 Navy Seal Mike, why not adding this baby too?

The third and final figure of this Adventures series is good ol´frosty Arctic Donatello.

Just looke at these Figure, no wonder why Playmates Toys always surprised me, the sculpt, the details, awesome just awesome.

The accessories were also perfect and included a Real Workin' Ice Water Shootin' Blaster, Ice Poppin' Penguin Pal, Anti-slip Snow Shoes, Ice Pick Bo and of course the Gold Metalized Kowabunga Collector Coin

Here´s a review on youtube of Arctic Donatello
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zXg9svWP6E

Arctic Donatello never appeared in the original tv show, however It could have been used in episode like A real snow job or during the period where the Technodrome was in the Arctic. Can you imagine it climbing a cliff using his ice picking.

If you only can buy one of these three figures, this should be the one.

Anyone knows if there was a Tv commercial for any of these Adventures Turtles figures? Maybe not, but that might not be all true, cause a Safari Raphael (or sort of) was featured in this commercial below, so it could have been a teasing of what was yet to come?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SVNoBAh0a0

Here are featured in the 1995 Playmates toy catalog (Photo Courtesy of Vaughn Michael)

What do you think about these TmnT variants? Do you got it? Did you play with it back in those days in the snow, jungle or water? Any memories you wanna share from where you bought and saw it the very first time?

Hope you liked and thanks for reading.

Last edited by Bill; 04-12-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Mzx10484
WEM Super Starfinder 200

Never heard of this adventure series in Germany. And safari Turtles, then and now, seem not attractive to me. Otherwise Arctic Don looks funny ... but don't need him !!

Last edited by Mzx10484; 12-07-2013 at 06:21 AM. Reason: missing word "need"
Mzx10484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
Bill
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzx10484 View Post
Never heard of this adventure series in Germany. And safari Turtles, then and now, seem not attractive to me. Otherwise Arctic Don looks funny ... but don't him !!

Thanks for your comments, these figures were the last of a dying breed, so I believe Playmates made a good effort with them.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
tmntgoldcoin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Thanks for your comments, these figures were the last of a dying breed, so I believe Playmates made a good effort with them.
I personally love deep sea diver leo, if anything just of the octopus.
tmntgoldcoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Still wished they would have made that afro Rahzar

Last edited by The Fifth Turtle; 12-09-2013 at 03:29 PM.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
tmntgoldcoin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Turtle View Post
Still wished they would have made that afro Radar
Do you have a picture of an afro radar or direct me to see one, never heard of it.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Nameless
Mad Scientist

i've seen these a few times but never realized that they shoot water. pretty neat.

My Collection:http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...09#post1103509
Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Mzx10484
WEM Super Starfinder 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
i've seen these a few times but never realized that they shoot water. pretty neat.
They shoot water ? Some kind of Sewer Spittin' ... ?!
Mzx10484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Ninjinister
無問題

I liked the Don of this series the most. It's the only one of the three I had as a kid, and besides that, the penguin with the black Turtles-esque headband is way too awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntgoldcoin View Post
Do you have a picture of an afro radar or direct me to see one, never heard of it.
He meant Rahzar. It's up there in that catalog picture.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
DJSoulPole
Thug

Yes, Don looks awesome here. Reminds you of going sledding.
DJSoulPole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
snake
Disgusting

Awesome variants, I also love the sidekicks.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Deep Sea Diver Leonardo looks like he dove a little too deep.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
tmntgoldcoin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I liked the Don of this series the most. It's the only one of the three I had as a kid, and besides that, the penguin with the black Turtles-esque headband is way too awesome.

LOL. I should have figured that out, but it was worth the image I put in my head.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
MondoTurtle
Thug

Those are all bodacious!
MondoTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post

Thank you! Damn auto correcting phone.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote