The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Rediscover interest

As a kid I liked doing many things, including watching TV (mostly action cartoons like TMNT, James Bond Junior and some Heman), reading books (mostly Sune and Bert, of course, I still love them) and I would also read some nonfiction books about astronomy, geography and history. I also liked playing with action figures, drawing, reading comics and playing videogames. I first played at classmates, at 9 I got a NES in August 1991, then even an SNES when it came out in Sweden in 1992. To be updated which games to buy, I used to read videogame magazines. I then sold my NES in March 1995 when NES was about to die.

Soon, I learnt that SNES was also about to die and be replaced by Nintendo 64. I continued reading videogame reviews, noticing more and more games would get negative reviews (compared to between say 1988-1993 when far from all, but many, NES games got better reviews). After not buying a new game for over one and a half year, I finally sold my SNES in March 1996, rarely played during the last year. Instead, I got more into watching sports.

The upcoming years, I just played some computergames (I think I just bought circa 7-8 games or so during the late 1990's and early 2000's, I think I had a FIFA Soccer game, an NHL Ice Hockey game and a Sim City game, not much more) but I didn't play much at all on my PC (I also had some Encarta World Atlas using sometimes, got it when buying computer, but that's interactive media and not a videogame). A friend of mine had Nintendo 64 and I played it sometimes circa 4-5 times or so, not more.

Some years ago, I began to wonder why I lost interest in videogames? I also bought a nonfiction book to read about the NES years and their games last year.

Some people say many people become less interested in videogames when they aren't kids anymore (I've seen that on Internet communities). But I still like TMNT (even the 1987 cartoon). Yes, the interest declined when TMNT faded out by the mid 1990's, but I always recall when I was older and sick, and had to stay home from school. Then I would watch a videotape with older recordings from TV with funny and nice films and series from childhood, often TMNT episodes. I rediscovered it in late 2003-early 2004 thanks to the Internet, learnt about its origin, now I'm hooked again. I can also enjoy other action cartoons (even the ones I didn't see as a kid). I still also love the Sune books and the Bert books as I did as a kid.

I know almost nothing what has happened from 1995 (except the names of some consoles I've now learnt like Sony Playstation, Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo Wii, and very famous titles, but often I don't know what those games are about. I also know you can play older games on new consoles, and die). But I have still defended videogames when people say it leads to school massacres.

One thing I know has changed is the perspective. 25 years ago, it was often Mario jumping and running from point A a to point B, or Link walking a Hyrule map. Now we have something called first or third person perspective, 3D where you see through the main character's eyes, or see him or from behind his or her back. Shooter video games have become more popular.

Of course, I don't see it as a problem if I don't get interested again, but I've missed 20 years. How can I learn about what has happened, year by year, within the video game industry between 1995 and 2015 (like how games have). And can I get some interest again?

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 05-19-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
Peanut
Second Gear

You picked the wrong time to check in on games! Run away and never look back again!

But seriously, if you're interested in the history of what has happened there are a toooon of huge retrospectives, top 10 lists, best of and worst of and just information overload about games on the Internet. There's also actually a really cool book called 'The Ultimate History of Video Games' that covers everything up to the Wii, which is a really fun read.

If you want to experience games again I suggest a few things. First, since you seem like you were a Nintendo kid, pick up a used Wii (or a Wii U if you want the newest Nintendo stuff) and some games and go to town. Both the Wii and Wii U also have the Virtual Console, so you can download a metric sh*t ton of classic games to tickle your nostalgia or experience stuff you never did before.

If you want to experience what games have become you need to grab a 360 or PS3 and dig through their libraries. They're huge, they're excellent and they're dirt cheap at this point.

Good luck and let us know how it goes or if you have any questions! We have a lot of knowledgeable people around here.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:24 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Which console is preferable today? When I was a kid it wasn't interesting which gamer who played Nintendo, it was which gamer who didn't play Nintendo.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote