The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 01:46 AM   #1
Foot Soldier

Turtles Forever: a direct insult to the old 1987 cartoon?

"hey lets go to the lair and get our anti-technodrome gear"

ok so i just recently rewatched the "turtles forever" movie and i gotta say, whoever made it must have really hated the old 1987 toon with a passion. the way they are portrayed as complete bumbling idiots, and the stupid made up 80s toon song they play when they come out. i think they really took it too far the way they were portrayed, sure the old toon had its silly moments, but "turtles forever" makes it seem like they are acting like clowns 24/7 which is not the case, the real old toon turtles knew to be serious when it was time. this was pretty much a big slap in the face to the old toon. and also their voices were ridiculous. did Peter Laird write the script? cause i heard that he hated the old toon with a passion.

in any event, do you think that they exaggerated and went overboard in the portrayal of the old toon turtles being stupid silly and incompetent 24/7?

Last edited by 1987; 03-14-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Yeah, I think they went to far with it, I think this old post of mine responding to Mikey's "Dorks" comment in the Nick series explains why I feel that way:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
Eh, it all comes down to respect.

Were the old turtles goofy and ridiculous? Yeah, that was part of their charm, so why act so negative about it?

When the Scooby-Doo gang met their past digital selves in Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase, they didn't call their past selves "dorks". The closest thing that happens is Daphne playfully tells her past self they need to go clothes shopping later, in response to seeing her old, classic, and dated outfit.

So I can understand if Mikey's line upsets people. To me, it's just Michelangelo being Michelangelo, saying things without thinking things all the way through. In other words, just being silly.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:48 AM   #3
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob

Anyone who doesn't give TF's portrayal of the FW turtles a second thought would surely think so.

But, despite the goofiness of the FW turtles, they still get stuff done. I see them as a condensed version of the FW turtles that have almost had 200 episodes of a show. And, since the 4Kids turtles are the straight guys group, they have to amp up the FW antics to make them look more distinct and different. Or else we would have had double of the same character, as it wasn't much time for character development for the FW or even the Prime turtles.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:06 AM   #4
Powder
Endless Screw

This thread again?
Old 03-14-2014, 05:12 AM   #5
Shark_Blade
Prince Elias Acorn

Yes it's pretty much disrespectful.

Kinda glad PL let go of the franchise.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
Galactus
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987 View Post
"hey lets go to the lair and get our anti-technodrome gear"

ok so i just recently rewatched the "turtles forever" movie and i gotta say, whoever made it must have really hated the old 1987 toon with a passion.
No it wasn't. It was made by people who watched a hell of a lot of the old show and went to great lengths to include as much as they could from it. That doesn't sound at all like they hated it.

Quote:
in any event, do you think that they exaggerated and went overboard in the portrayal of the old toon turtles being stupid silly and incompetent 24/7?
Somewhat but less than the Mirage turtles which were exaggerated as ultra dark bloodthirsty thugs which no one had a problem with.

That being said a lot of the lines of the 80s turtles were direct or paraphrased from the old show. A lot of the goofy things they did were direct nods to specific instances in the old show. People may not remember or refuse to acknowledge this stuff happened but it did. I honestly feel Fred Wolf fans need to get a sense of perspective and a sense of humor which is ironic considering that's what the 80s show was about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Yes it's pretty much disrespectful.

Kinda glad PL let go of the franchise.
Why? It's not like he wrote or had much more to do with the special than signing off on it. The idea that he mandated that that the Fred Wolf turtles have to be humiliated is stupid. In fact looking at his production notes what few suggestions he had was them to take out a scene were he said that the 80s turtles weren't that ineffectual so if anything their porytayal would have been worse.

The Fred Wolf turtles "goofy" ways saved the day more than once in the special and Bebop and Rocksteady saved the multiverse. It's this kind of ultra defensive at little more than lighthearted jabs I'll never understand.

Last edited by Galactus; 03-14-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:48 AM   #7
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I don't think it was an insult, The only knock against it was the fact they did not used the original voice actors for the 80s Turtles. That's because 4Kids does not hire union voice actors for there cartoons.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

The movie made a point of showing that the '87 Turtles and the sillier aspects of their world were still effective - the multiverse-threatening technology stemmed from the Technodrome, the '87 Turtles saved the day more than once, and their Donatello created the technology that allowed them to travel to other worlds. AND they were perfectly effective in battle compared to their "edgier" counterparts. Their methods were silly, but they worked.

I think a lot of people get hung up on the good-natured ribbing at that show and miss the point of the movie: the '87 Turtles were initially presented as the butt of the joke, but in the end, though different, were proven to be just as "good" as every other version.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Cool

Some of you need to grow up.

I am a huge fan of the original cartoon and I thought the Turtles were portrayed fine. The only bad scene was the crying scene and the noogies.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
ticktack
Foot Soldier

Good nods aand... mean-spirited!

Last edited by ticktack; 03-14-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
CowabungaMikey
Stone Warrior

When I first saw Turtles Forever, I didn't know the 1987 show. I loved it immediatly. But when I started to watch the OT, my hate began to grow. It was just so disrespectful. The concept, animation and voices (except for the 80s Turtles) are alright, but I just don't like most of it. One part 2003 Donatello was making fun of 80s April's yellow jumpsuit, but a few minutes later the 2003 April came on the screen in a yellow jumpsuit. Sigh. Decent movie, I keep thinking those 80s Turtles are another dimension than the original OT Turtles.

Cowabunga says it all!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Over the top caricature - Yes.
Direct insult - Not so much.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Old 03-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

This thread needs to be locked. Poking fun at how stupid the Turtle Blimp is, is not an insult.

Mikey struggling to life a manhole cover is realistic. In the OT those manhole covers were like paper thin that a human or child could lift then. In a more realistic world those sewer covers are heavy;
Old 03-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Like it or not, that's how people remember the 80s toon.

Man, I feel all dirty now, using the same line people use against the Purists.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #15
cammy85
Hench Mutant

My guess has always been that ever since "Divide and Conquer", time went on for the Turtles and when they wound up in the 2k3 dimension, it was through space and not time. The portal stick was able to send them back in time to Turtle Prime 1984. I imagine all other iterations of the portals could too, it's just... why bother? Donatello probably had the same idea as Dr. Brown from Back to the Future: changing the past could have negative impacts on the present/future.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
ticktack
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Mikey struggling to life a manhole cover is realistic. In the OT those manhole covers were like paper thin that a human or child could lift then. In a more realistic world those sewer covers are heavy;
A justification from your made up headcanon right away. *swinging head*
It was never mentioned that those covers were heavy in 4kids toon universe before either.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #17
Foot Soldier

well ot leo was definitely not a complete moron as he was depicted in turtles forever. unless they were solely basing him on the episode "leonardo lightens up" then yea. but in general, this movie just seemed like an hour and a half ot bashing. come on, giant bananas running around the street? they were definitely trying to make the ot look bad. but i gotta admit, i do wish the ot had stuck to the tone of the 1987 five-part miniseries. the later seasons did get a bit silly, but nowhere near as bad as turtles forever depicts it.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #18
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

I didn't see it that way.....I saw turtles forever before I saw the 80's show

when I went back and watched the show...they still seemed pretty goofy....
Old 03-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #19
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

I like the movie but have often questioned it as well

I get you make them silly, but they made them a bit too silly. It's all about contrast but there was a little too much of it. In the end they come together and fight but they still have to talk them down and say how serious it is, I felt that was unneeded. All in all good movie, but they did make them a bit too silly, I hear you on that one.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #20
alliance
Hench Mutant

Hmmmm..should i or shouldnt i...

80's TURTLES MUCH COOLER THAN FORGOTTEN 4KIDS
Closed Thread

Tags
turtles forever