The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #41
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Got early tickets to see it tomorrow. We'll see.

I've actually never even watched the first one, so I'll do that tonight.
Don't do it!!! In case the reboot/sequel/whatever absolutely blows, you can watch the first one after to cleanse your palate

The first one is a classic and I think it's actually aged pretty well so I think the odds are good you'll get at least some enjoyment out of it. I don't know about this new film though...
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #42
CyberCubed
Overlord

I actually just watched Jumanji 1995 2 days ago for the first time since I was a kid. It's a fun movie, but it's still a kids movie. If you don't have any nostalgia for it you might not enjoy it as much as those of us who watched it as kids.

Also seeing a young Kirsten Dunst is weird as hell. I totally forgot she was in the movie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Saw it. It's really good! I consistently laughed throughout. There is a good dichotomy between their avatars in the central story and their real life teenage selves that pays off at different points. It's a requel that does it right... it really does pick up right where the original left off (like, literally, in 1996) but the main meat, the middle (which is 91% of the movie) is entirely different. There is a lot of humor that works. There is some misses but more hits than not. I am never super impressed with Kevin Hart doing the same part he does in every movie, or filling the exact roles that Chris Rock would have a decade ago, but he's good... and I hated "Central Intelligence" (also starring The Rock and Hart). There is some big nods to the original, one that was really poignant that honors Robin Williams' character and essentially the man himself. And if you haven't seen the original, don't worry, you won't notice. But you'll be rewarded if you have.

Also, I saw the first one for the first time last night. I'd never seen it ever. I think I avoided it because even as a kid, the trailers seemed dodgy... a board game? Rhinos? What? It is pretty good. It definitely goes to darker places than the new movie, but also has the same whimsy. The ending parts have a lot of heart and effectively pull the heartstrings. The new movie pulls them also at the end, not quite as strongly but effectively. There is a slight inconsistency when comparing the two endings that anyone who has watched both will notice, but I didn't mind.

If you're thinking about watching the new Jumanji I'd recommend. It's funny. It's got the feels.

If I had a gripe, and this is kind of spoilery,
Spoiler:
it's that the actual world of Jumanji is left a little nebulous. It's sort of implied and reimplied that it is this kind of video game role playing game (which brings up other, bigger questions like who made this game and for what to what end? I'd kind of like to see that movie) that repeats itself in different scenarios. What are the stakes here? Are any of the people in "The jungle" real? Was Jumanji actually in peril or was it just a game scenario? I'm not sure, really. I guess it's not important, but...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #44
Allio
Foot Elite

I know itís impossible, but is there any Zathura references?
Old 12-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
I know itís impossible, but is there any Zathura references?
I don't think so. But then I've never seen Zathura.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #46
sdp
<<raver>>

Looks like it's a decent but nothing amazing movie which is fine because Jumanji really isn't anything that amazing either. I still think it's dumb they changed the board to a video game but I'll be checking it out.

Zathura is the same as Jumanji only with Sci-Fi tropes, the movie is ok, it just isn't as fun as Jumanji.

But why is this being released along Star Wars? Do they want it to die? Do they forget how big Jumanji was able to get in the 90s, this could've been similar if released in the spring or even the summer.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #47
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Its got an 83% on Rotten Tomatoes.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jum..._to_the_jungle
Old 12-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #48
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Looks like it's a decent but nothing amazing movie which is fine because Jumanji really isn't anything that amazing either. I still think it's dumb they changed the board to a video game but I'll be checking it out.
It's explained pretty well in the movie. I'm not kidding, it begins right where the first one ended, with the board game in the beach.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #49
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Well that's pretty heartening news, Andrew. I had high hopes for this movie since I loved the first one so much. I'm glad the new one is decent at least
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote