The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #2141
Vegita-San
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,979
none tmnt question.

I know the competition is probably brutal...but what is the chance an unknown could get an opportunity to pitch a new comic idea at idw?
Vegita-San is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #2142
AlessandraDC
Thug
 
AlessandraDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 57
I just have to say that I am loving the Dimension X settings! Please tell me we could see future stories exploring some of these places, like Palmadise. I feel like there's a lot of potential to tell some really cool stories! (Also, loved the design of that female bounty hunter in Dimension X #4.)
AlessandraDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #2143
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,617
I love all the varied artists on the Dimension X specials in particular, will we see any of these artists return to do some Universe issues in the future?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #2144
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
none tmnt question.

I know the competition is probably brutal...but what is the chance an unknown could get an opportunity to pitch a new comic idea at idw?
It's a bad climate to get any new projects approved right now-- we're in the midst of an industry wide down turn. We've been turning down a lot of solid projects from known creators.

So... not good. But that shouldn't stop you from creating your own comics and pitching them to publishers. The people who make it in the industry are people who make comics for themselves first and foremost.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #2145
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandraDC View Post
I just have to say that I am loving the Dimension X settings! Please tell me we could see future stories exploring some of these places, like Palmadise. I feel like there's a lot of potential to tell some really cool stories! (Also, loved the design of that female bounty hunter in Dimension X #4.)
Maybe, it's possible!
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #2146
Vegita-San
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
It's a bad climate to get any new projects approved right now-- we're in the midst of an industry wide down turn. We've been turning down a lot of solid projects from known creators.

So... not good. But that shouldn't stop you from creating your own comics and pitching them to publishers. The people who make it in the industry are people who make comics for themselves first and foremost.
sigh, kind of what i thought .


another new idea,not many places to try it out .
Vegita-San is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #2147
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
It's a bad climate to get any new projects approved right now-- we're in the midst of an industry wide down turn. We've been turning down a lot of solid projects from known creators.

So... not good. But that shouldn't stop you from creating your own comics and pitching them to publishers. The people who make it in the industry are people who make comics for themselves first and foremost.
Hey Bobby,

Would that downturn be contributing to the lack of Mirage reprints that's been going on? The reason Tales is presumably canceled, and why Image 3 and Mirage 4 are still just a hope?

Sorry, I know you get asked about those darn reprints a lot...
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #2148
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
sigh, kind of what i thought .


another new idea,not many places to try it out .
I see so many people give up because they can't get their first, or second project greenlit. When the reality is: almost everyone who is a professional in the industry is around for a good 5-10 years, honing their craft, making and completing new projects, day in and out, before anything substantial comes of it.

Make it for yourself, make it the best it can possibly be. Then share it around and prepare to be heart broke. Then do the entire process again, learning from your mistakes. And again. And again. The only people who should do this are people who HAVE to do it, for themselves, first and foremost. They're the only people who will have the determination to get where they want to go.

All that being said, good luck!
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #2149
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Hey Bobby,

Would that downturn be contributing to the lack of Mirage reprints that's been going on? The reason Tales is presumably canceled, and why Image 3 and Mirage 4 are still just a hope?

Sorry, I know you get asked about those darn reprints a lot...
Much more likely that the Tales collections just never sold that well in the first place.

As far as I know Vol. 3 reprints are still happening.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:52 PM   #2150
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
It's a bad climate to get any new projects approved right now-- we're in the midst of an industry wide down turn. We've been turning down a lot of solid projects from known creators.

So... not good. But that shouldn't stop you from creating your own comics and pitching them to publishers. The people who make it in the industry are people who make comics for themselves first and foremost.
Can you please elaborate????

I was looking up the sale figures and numbers. It appears that all the sales figures point industry growth not downturn.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:32 AM   #2151
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Can you please elaborate????

I was looking up the sale figures and numbers. It appears that all the sales figures point industry growth not downturn.
Not sure how to elaborate. You and I must be reading very different reports and talking to different people.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #2152
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Not sure how to elaborate. You and I must be reading very different reports and talking to different people.
lol I went to a website that post sales figures and sales numbers that we use on the forum to see how well the TMNT books are selling.

I have a sneaky suspicion that you guys know better than I do
I was just curious, bc the term "downward spiral" sounds bad and has me nervous for future TMNT books
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #2153
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
lol I went to a website that post sales figures and sales numbers that we use on the forum to see how well the TMNT books are selling.

I have a sneaky suspicion that you guys know better than I do
I was just curious, bc the term "downward spiral" sounds bad and has me nervous for future TMNT books
I think I said "downward turn" which isn't quite as bas as a spiral!

I wouldn't be too concerned. TMNT is doing fine, and hopefully things will right themselves across the industry. DC seems to be doing well, which is better than if both they and Marvel were both doing bad.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #2154
Powder
Endless Screw
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 24,759
You guys had Khary Randolph come on board for Dimension X #3, how did that come about? Were y'all aware of his connection with TMNT (did lots of stuff on the 4kids show, but most notably promotional art, DVD covers, etc.) & if so, did it influence your decision to pick him up?

An extension of that, might we see others who've had a past with TMNT that wasn't necessary related to comics themselves, such as he? Do you ever look at the pool of turtle talent to consider one-off artists? I know you guys wanna stray from the Mirage cast so as to give your series its own visual identity but what about younger lesser knowns who only did one or a handful of Tales vol. 2 issues & moved on to Marvel, DC, etc? Andres Ponce being one example that comes to mind. They're not really a "face" of the brand like Jim Lawson is. & you've got your share of cartoon-tied folks like Khary, would you ever reach out to someone like say Ciro Nieli (& yes I'm aware he did variant covers on the Nick series)?
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #2155
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,085
Aubrey Sitterson, the writer, had wanted to work with Khary so that's how that came about.

As for others, it's possible, sure. The schedule has been very tight for a while now, so that makes me shy about working with people who's work habits I'm not familiar with, but on the right project I like to try out new people.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #2156
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
I think I said "downward turn" which isn't quite as bas as a spiral!

I wouldn't be too concerned. TMNT is doing fine, and hopefully things will right themselves across the industry. DC seems to be doing well, which is better than if both they and Marvel were both doing bad.
What is your personal opinion or thoughts on why there is a downward turn in mainstream comics right now? Does DC have the right idea? Does anyone?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #2157
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 6,946
When developing the comic, was it ever considered to have Shredder and Krang team up it was it always meant for the two to be rivals never to team at any point? Up until #37 it seemed like a strong possibility there would be a business partnership for convinence.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #2158
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What is your personal opinion or thoughts on why there is a downward turn in mainstream comics right now? Does DC have the right idea? Does anyone?
This is just my own armchair thoughts, so your guess is as good as mine. But in general I think there are simply way too many titles on the market. Too much choice can be a turn off for actually making a choice I think. Add that to event fatigue and too many reboots. Comics have become more accessible but not enough to counter business practices that are essentially short sighted and greedy (i'm in no way exempting IDW from any of this. We're guilty of it too). Plus there's just cycles of creativity. Seems like it's been a while since anyone (or group) has really shook up the industry and caused a fresh breath of air to circulate.

DC's strategy currently seems to be to just keep things relatively simple and accessible, something that I don't think can hurt! (and I say this as primarily a Marvel guy growing up)
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #2159
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
When developing the comic, was it ever considered to have Shredder and Krang team up it was it always meant for the two to be rivals never to team at any point? Up until #37 it seemed like a strong possibility there would be a business partnership for convinence.
I'm sure we considered it at one point, but seemed more interesting and unexpected to make them adversaries.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:14 PM   #2160
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 1,720
What is your preferred story length as an editor and also as a comic fan?

Last edited by TurtleWA; 08-28-2017 at 10:56 PM.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.