The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Money Monster

My father has an intense fascination with money. I don't understand why.

Every time he receives the currency via paycheck, he always spends it on unnecessary items. He doesn't save it for important matters (emergency, bills, loans, etc.).

When he doesn't receive money, he will usually ask the rest of the family if they have any extra cash.

Have you ever met someone who was obsessed with money?

Last edited by Papenbrook; 07-12-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Icebot
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Well I work for a company in a city where the economy isn't doing well so my employer might be obsessed with money. If so, it's most likely because of tough economic times. As an employee, I'm not allowed to work overtime, I guess the company is trying to save money.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
snake
Disgusting

Quote:

Every time he receives the currency via paycheck, he always spends it on unnecessary items. He doesn't save it for important matters (emergency, bills, loans, etc.).

When he doesn't receive money, he will usually ask the rest of the family if they have any extra cash.

He spends it on addicting things. Therefore he wants more money. Is that really that hard to understand? Seems like he needs help.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

The only thing I spend money on outside of necessities like food/clothes/metrocards, etc. is videogames nowadays. And a few TMNT comics.

I don't even buy blu-rays/DVDs anymore because any show you can watch you can watch online for free.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Some people just don't manage their money wortha **** because they expect the money they need for emergencies to be handed to them.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Sounds more to me like he is addicted to spending. Many are like that. My mom is like that. She doesn't necessarily have to go buy something all the time, but she has a tendency to go overboard. If a normal person might buy just two or three of something, she'll buy three times as many. If something she uses a lot is on sale (such as chocolate milk mix or a certain hand soap), she'll stock up as if the company is going to stop making it. (Psh, not as long as she is keeping them in business.)

If she just went to the store for one thing, she'll be there forever browsing the damn place looking for other things she might want.

Which irks me a bit that she's rather hypocritical in her judgement on others spending on things they don't necessarily "need" in her opinion. Mrs. 'bought a $400 hand made end table' because 'want,' as if this family is made of money. She tries to fill a void with stuff, we all know it. Always buying more because each purchase didn't work of fill it.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-12-2016 at 04:09 PM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #7
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Man, and I thought I was bad -- I buy myself toys or games because doing so cheers me up. Whenever I'm in a bad mood, buying something for myself will always make me feel better, every time.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
Etsyturtle2
Banned

I've met one. I saw him in the mirror one day.
Etsyturtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #9
Jephael
That whack job behind you

My Uncle Dave is definitely that way. He and my Aunt Karen used to live in a trailer park, but they couldn't keep up with the bills on account of his constant splurging, so now they live with my Uncle Glenn in my grandparents' old home. The sad thing is Dave and Karen really wanted to have kids at one point, but we all felt neither of them were emotionally or mentally fit for that kinda responsibility.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #10
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I spend way more money then necessary, got too many hobbies & interests.

As long as I pay my bills, I do whatever I want with my own cash.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #11
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:

It got worse.

My whole family became greedy. We now mooch off each other. It's an endless cycle of financial and monetary issues.

What should we do?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #12
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
It got worse.

My whole family became greedy. We now mooch off each other. It's an endless cycle of financial and monetary issues.

What should we do?
You have to step outside of the cycle in order to break it. I'd advise you to manage your own finances as soon as you're able and don't lend any money to any family members who would fritter it away on frivolities. Addiction comes in many forms and enabling it only makes the problem worse.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:25 AM   #13
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
You have to step outside of the cycle in order to break it. I'd advise you to manage your own finances as soon as you're able and don't lend any money to any family members who would fritter it away on frivolities. Addiction comes in many forms and enabling it only makes the problem worse.
Alright. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #14
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I’ve worked with money for so long that it’s just numbers to me. $10 million loans are everyday for me. When you look at that kind of ridiculousness everyday money kinda looses its power over you.