The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,932
Getting stared at

Do you get stared at often by strangers?

I don't, but once in a while it happens. Which is odd considering I'm a fairly normal looking guy. OK, sometimes my beard gets a bit messy but it's still quite rude to stare. I see waaaayyy odder people than me outside on a daily basis and yet I don't stare at them. That is pretty rude, imo, and is bound to make people feel uncomfortable.

What about you?
Prowler is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
Etsyturtle2
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: stuff
Posts: 1,722
Staring is fun
Etsyturtle2 is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etsyturtle2 View Post
Staring is fun
And quite rude. Also, if you stare at a not so nice person one day, they might think you're picking a fight with them, so tread carefully.
Prowler is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Do you get stared at often by strangers?

I don't, but once in a while it happens. Which is odd considering I'm a fairly normal looking guy. OK, sometimes my beard gets a bit messy but it's still quite rude to stare. I see waaaayyy odder people than me outside on a daily basis and yet I don't stare at them. That is pretty rude, imo, and is bound to make people feel uncomfortable.

What about you?
When you're a sexy beast like me, you get stared at all the time.

I think it's the scraggly beard, long mane of hair, and white jacket that I wear backwards with the hands sewn into the pockets.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is online now  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,447
In all seriousness, though... yeah, people stare. I'm a big guy. Previous description minus the straitjacket.

They also stare if I'm swearing viciously as I drag an insanely overpacked cart of materiels across a parking lot to the warehouse in 100-degree weather. Like this afternoon.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is online now  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,932
Maybe it's because I like heavy metal and wear metal band t.shirts often. It's usually older people who stare at me now that I think about it. I must give a Satanic vibe to them.

This older Indian guy once stared at me for nearly a minute and he didn't even try to be discreet about it, as he kept staring at my face as I walked right past him. I pretended not to notice it, but man talk about a rude f*cker he was.
Prowler is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Maybe it's because I like heavy metal and wear metal band t.shirts often. It's usually older people who stare at me now that I think about it. I must give a Satanic vibe to them.

This older Indian guy once stared at me for nearly a minute and he didn't even try to be discreet about it, as he kept staring at my face as I walked right past him. I pretended not to notice it, but man talk about a rude f*cker he was.
If it bothers me, I flip the tables. Establish eye contact, and take it from there.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is online now  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
If it bothers me, I flip the tables. Establish eye contact, and take it from there.
Eh I'm not the type of person to play stupid games. Plus, some idiots might misinterpret it and assume I wanna fight. So I just ignore them and pretend I'm not noticing it. Plus, I don't want to scare off older people and thus proving them right "wow I knew there was something off about that young man!"
Prowler is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Eh I'm not the type of person to play stupid games. Plus, some idiots might misinterpret it and assume I wanna fight. So I just ignore them and pretend I'm not noticing it. Plus, I don't want to scare off older people and thus proving them right "wow I knew there was something off about that young man!"
Well, I mean, use the strategy judiciously.

If a seven foot mountain of a man with knuckle tattoos is staring at you, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is online now  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Well, I mean, use the strategy judiciously.

If a seven foot mountain of a man with knuckle tattoos is staring at you, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT.
Yeah. If I walk past a group of menacing people I don't stare at them but also don't lower my head. Just act naturally giving them a body language that indicates you neither wanna fight nor you're scared of them
Prowler is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Yeah. If I walk past a group of menacing people I don't stare at them but also don't lower my head. Just act naturally giving them a body language that indicates you neither wanna fight nor you're scared of them
Exactly. That's why we call it street smarts.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is online now  
Old 07-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,932
It's really fascinating how much a person's eyes tell about themselves. By looking at someone's eyes you can tell if they're scared, curious or looking up to no good. Some people just have that "evil eye".
Prowler is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,302
This makes me wonder how women feel when they know guys are checking them out in public places like the subway or on the bus or just walking on the street.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #14
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist
 
thundermaster612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ninjago City
Posts: 1,214
I'm antisocial. I always get stared at. No racism but especially by Indians. So how do you think I feel. Why are they even staring. How would they feel if I perma-glued a camera to them and it showed live footage on tv of everything their doing in public? would they like it? NO. SO STOP STARING
__________________
thundermaster612 is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 03:13 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 9,886
Not really ever, I'm not anywhere near interesting (or some other adjective) enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
This makes me wonder how women feel when they know guys are checking them out in public places like the subway or on the bus or just walking on the street.
Depends on the person. Some people may like that someone is checking them out, for others... if unwelcome, yeah, that's uncomfortable.

No harm in checking someone out, but quick glances. No one should be a weirdo staring too long or too often.



As for people from India... Uh, yeah. I don't mean to generalize, but in my experience (after previous employment that had a lot of Indian immigrant shoppers) they just seem to have a rather different set of social norms/standards than do cultures such as mine. Maybe it's unintentional because they don't get it, but they do sort of have a tendency to come across as rude and lacking the concept of personal space. (I mean not all are bad though, I've also had some great co-workers in the past that are also immigrants from there and have adapted well.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-14-2016 at 03:18 PM.
IndigoErth is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #16
Powder
Salami Origami
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 25,591
I've been stared at my whole life, it's annoying as hell. It used to be 'cause I looked weird (had my punk phases & all that) but now I guess it's cause I'm big? I'm about 6'3 300 lbs, ZZ Top beard, "nerd glasses", which I guess is a fairly striking appearance where I live presently (an area full of rednecks & preps, little else). But whatever, I allow passing glances, it's the ones who don't break their look for 20 seconds that I outright confront. & they never say sh*t back.
Powder is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #17
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist
 
thundermaster612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ninjago City
Posts: 1,214
I went to Taekwondo and everyone stared at me for looking down. I CAN SEE STRAIGHT WHEN I LOOK DOWN. ITS JUST THAT I DONT LIKE PEOPLE SEEING MY FACE. I DONT LIKE PEOPLE SEEING ME AT ALL. **** YOU HUMANS.
__________________
thundermaster612 is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #18
Powder
Salami Origami
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 25,591
Calm down, Mewtwo.
Powder is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,302
I just look like a regular white guy so nothing about me stands out. Brown hair, I'm only 5'6''. I'm relatively thin and I don't wear glasses.

You can't even pick me out from a crowd.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 06:38 PM   #20
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 9,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
about 6'3 300 lbs
Quote:
they never say sh*t back
I bet not! Only a fool...





As "advanced" as we are compared to other creatures, it's interesting imo the old stuff that's still true for us as it is for many other animals. Even to modern day humans a prolonged stare is perceived as a threat.

An unwelcome stranger deciding to hang out in your yard or otherwise mess with your property is bound to hit territorial feelings.

Still just primitive beasts deep down... lol
IndigoErth is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
cis your pants

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.