The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 01-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Addictions

Do you have or have you ever had some sort of addiction to a certain substance? Whether it's tobacco, caffeine, drugs, sweets, alcohol, painkillers, etc.

I think I have a bit of a caffeine addiction. I drink about 2-3 cups of cappuccino a day. And used to drink 2-3 cups of espresso before that, but espresso was a bit too strong for me and was making me anxious, so I switched to cappuccino instead.

Other than that. No. I'm not a smoker, I'm not an alcoholic(can't remember the last beer I had even) and I don't do drugs. Also have never been addicted to painkillers or any other prescribed stuff.

So yea, just a mild caffeine addiction. My head feels a bit "heavy" or so and drinking a cup sorta "cleanses" it.

And I'm also addicted to the internet but that's not a substance.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

I smoked for almost a decade, quit 3 years ago. Had run ins with pills as a teen, caffeine for a decent part of my life, etc. but I'm free of all that stuff as well. Pretty sure I have a sugar problem though.

Certainly addicted to non-substances, like the internet, yeah. Though I can go without & not have a meltdown, I don't even use a smart-phone. I just like doing stuff on the computer a lot.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I smoked for almost a decade, quit 3 years ago. Had run ins with pills as a teen, caffeine for a decent part of my life, etc. but I'm free of all that stuff as well. Pretty sure I have a sugar problem though.
I really don't have a sugar problem. I don't like sweets much asides from ice cream.

But I find it hard to cut back on carbs.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Good food. I'm talking donuts, burgers, pizza, chocolate, peanut butter, etc. I loathe eating fruits/vegetables, and would much rather eat something delicious. This obviously isn't good for me, and I've had problems breathing, heart pains, constipation problems, etc. But I can't stop. And I don't want to stop.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I was addicted to Dilaudid and didn't even know it until I was going through withdrawal.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #6
Icebot
Foot Elite

I'm addicted to junk food like chips and candy.

I'm also addicted to the Internet including Facebook but I'm working on a New Years resolution to use it less and it's working pretty good.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:10 PM   #7
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Sweets. I have such a sweet tooth its insane. So frigging frustrating
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:27 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm not addicted to anything but I drink soda every single day. Either Coke or Pepsi. Does that count?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:39 PM   #10
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm not addicted to anything but I drink soda every single day. Either Coke or Pepsi. Does that count?
That depends. Could you go without that soda for a few days? Or would you start to get loopy from withdraw?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #11
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I never considered myself as someone addicted to anything. Compulsive about a lot of things, sure, but not addicted.

Then in solidarity with a friend of mine I tried the South Beach diet.
Which, for those who aren't familiar with it, is a diet program for people at risk for heart or pancreatic problems.

For the first two weeks you basically cut out all simple carbs. No potatoes, pasta, bread, or fruit.

I thought I was going to die. I'd never experienced withdrawal before, but that...that did it.

So apparently I've an addiction to simple carbs.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #12
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

I guess my love for Peanut Butter is the closest thing that I have to an "addiction" I love the stuff, I guess that's kinda odd for someone who is not in the US?

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:54 AM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I never considered myself as someone addicted to anything. Compulsive about a lot of things, sure, but not addicted.

Then in solidarity with a friend of mine I tried the South Beach diet.
Which, for those who aren't familiar with it, is a diet program for people at risk for heart or pancreatic problems.

For the first two weeks you basically cut out all simple carbs. No potatoes, pasta, bread, or fruit.

I thought I was going to die. I'd never experienced withdrawal before, but that...that did it.

So apparently I've an addiction to simple carbs.
How can one go two weeks without having bread and pasta at all? What carbs did you eat even? Bread is like standard for breakfast here. Not to mention all those people who have a sandwich at their work/school lunch break.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #14
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
How can one go two weeks without having bread and pasta at all? What carbs did you eat even? Bread is like standard for breakfast here. Not to mention all those people who have a sandwich at their work/school lunch break.
Nothing wrong with bread, as long as you don't eat too much. It can be part a very healthy diet. I have toast every day for breakfast, with bowl of oatmeal.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
Old 01-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #15
plastroncafe

Quote:
Complex carbs.
So lots of lean protein, low glycemic index veggies, dairy, eggs.
Or was surprisingly easy....Save for the withdrawal.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
How can one go two weeks without having bread and pasta at all? What carbs did you eat even?
I don't like pasta at all... maybe spaghetti and meatballs once in a blue moon. Though in my old age, possibly as a result of years of alcohol abuse I've become a bit lactose intolerant and kind of iffy with gluten, too.

Vodka? Fantastic. Tequila? Great, though there might be yelling involved later. Beer with the vodka or tequila? Awesome. Camel Platinum cigarettes? Delicious, lay'em on me.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #17
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Complex carbs.
Give Wholemeal bread a try, it tastes a million times better than white.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #18
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
Give Wholemeal bread a try, it tastes a million times better than white.
Thanks for the recommendation!
I normally have to steer clear of high-fiber breads for digestion issues, but I'll give this a shot.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
Nothing wrong with bread, as long as you don't eat too much. It can be part a very healthy diet. I have toast every day for breakfast, with bowl of oatmeal.
Yeah I like bread. I tend to eat brown bread, though. White bread doesn't taste as good and is less filling.

Quote:
Complex carbs.
Oh so like nuts, then? They're high on protein and fiber. They fill me in fine and also make me poop at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't like pasta at all... maybe spaghetti and meatballs once in a blue moon. Though in my old age, possibly as a result of years of alcohol abuse I've become a bit lactose intolerant and kind of iffy with gluten, too.

Vodka? Fantastic. Tequila? Great, though there might be yelling involved later. Beer with the vodka or tequila? Awesome. Camel Platinum cigarettes? Delicious, lay'em on me.
I have pasta almost every day. I can't accompany a fish or meat meal without some pasta or rice. I can't eat just vegetables with it. Or even just pasta/rice. It's boring.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #20
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I have an on-again/off-again soda habit. I can go without it for a few days, but after that, I tend to just say heck with it. It's one of the few things we get for free at work, and the water here in town is just- I can't even. I won't even touch plain water unless it's filtered. Even then I almost always have to have SOMETHING in it, like a lemon or a flavor packet or something.

The other one is a sweet tooth. Mostly chocolate (almost any kind) or sometimes jelly beans (Jelly Belly or nothing) or sour gummy worms. Those are my go-to sweet treats.

Never been addicted to alcohol or any drugs, no meds, and never smoked. My hubby jokes that I'm addicted to the internet, but I've gone days at a time, and sometimes even a week or two without really even thinking about it. About the only thing I do net-wise anyway is post here and sometimes a couple of other sites. Or play on-line games on my phone lately.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote