The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Classic Planet of the Apes movies and it's impact on society

Roddy McDowall and Charlton Heston iconic performances.

The famous iconic line:

Revelation that the ape planet is in fact Earth in the future after the world has been taken over by apes:

What say you of these classic iconic movies?

The first movie especially is a classic that everyone should watch. You owe it to yourself if you enjoy American cinema in any capacity. It damn near revolutionized the entire film industry.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I like the new ones a lot and am looking forward to War for the Planet of the Apes.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

One of my favorite Jerry Goldsmith scores!
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Great series. My order: POTA>Escape>Conquest>Battle>Beneath

Like TSM939 said above, great scores too.

I'm glad they're bringing a character from the original (Nova) into the new series in War of the POTA.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I love the classic movies. The loop they form is great. They're tonally so different. "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" is very underrated... and its ending is so ballsy.

The Burton movie was okay. I didn't love it or hate it but I've had no particular interest to ever see it again.

I liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes. A lot of heart and a decent starting point.

Dawn was pretty great. I totally believed in the world they created there.

I also enjoy how Rise and Dawn (and presumably War) work just fine in continuity with the original first two films. Rise even sets up the original, mentioning the launch of Heston's ship in it just before the virus breaks out.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

What amazes me is how well the costumes/make-up for the apes in the classic movies still holds up today. There was no CG animation back then and no computer touch-ups, they had to rely entirely on costume design and make-up back then, and it's amazing how good it looks today. The gorilla's and chimps and the way you can still tell the actors expressions behind them is amazing. They just don't make them like this anymore.

I also have to give a shout out to the short-lived 14 episode TV series that came out in the 70's. Roddy McDowall even reprises his role as the main ape who aids the humans. It's a very underrated Planet of the Apes series and it's production values are almost as good as the main movies. It's on DVD on amazon if you want to check it out.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I also have to give a shout out to the short-lived 14 episode TV series that came out in the 70's. Roddy McDowall even reprises his role as the main ape who aids the humans. It's a very underrated Planet of the Apes series and it's production values are almost as good as the main movies. It's on DVD on amazon if you want to check it out.
I've been curious about that. Apparently it doesn't work in continuity with the core movies, and not just because there are dogs in it.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
THGhost
Puppet Master

Love this film, even its sequels which a lot of people just write off. The reboot series has been amazing so far too, really looking forward to War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Great series. My order: POTA>Escape>Conquest>Battle>Beneath
Agreed.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've been curious about that. Apparently it doesn't work in continuity with the core movies, and not just because there are dogs in it.
It's basically just another two human astronauts wind up in the ape timeline, they're of course immediately found and sentenced to death when the apes discover they're intelligent, and so they become fugitives along with Roddy McDowall's chimp character and so they're on the run for the whole series.

Most of it is the humans running into other human settlements and helping them with their problems as the apes govern the land. In this series all the humans can talk and basically work as slaves for the apes, but some are also treated like servants and not like savages.

It's a pretty decent series and the production values are almost as good as the movies. All the apes/costumes look great. You can read more summaries of the show online on either amazon's review section or other sites.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:27 PM   #10
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Did you make this thread only because someone said they had no interest in this series?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Did you make this thread only because someone said they had no interest in this series?
Either Cubed doesn't love me anymore or he's trying to broaden my science-fiction experience...
Old 02-24-2017, 11:05 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Some people just need to be educated on the subject matter. There are some movies that are just essential viewing to any sci-fi fan or any self respecting movie go-er.

Cylon is great, but I would like to broaden his horizons. There are some others out there who are uncultured swine, but not him. Some people just don't appreciate the fine arts.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:50 AM   #13
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

I've never seen the original POTA movies, so I came to just post this:

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:09 AM   #14
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Only seen the reboot movie with Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy, Harry Potter series) in it as the villain. No interest for the classics cause it looks bad tbh..
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:12 AM   #15
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

It's a madhouse! A madhouse!
Old 02-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #16
sdp
-

Like I posted on the other thread the movies are great but haven't seen them in more than ten years.
POTA- classic POTA2-mostly the same plot POTA3 - awesome POTA4-awesome POTA5-meh Remake-ok Reboot-haven't seen

Never saw the TV show but wouldn't it be able to fit pos POTA5, the apes take control of the world again but this time since it's post pota5 humans are more educated and are used as slaves instead. Sure it's a depressing ending to the franchise but hey so were the first 3 movies.

Let's not forget the cartoon Return to the Planet of the Apes.

Also non-canon since the apes use vehicles and have modern technology...unless the cartoon takes place in the ending of the Burton remake where we see apes with vehicles and modern technology as well. Heck haven't seen the reboot films but maybe they could fit in Burton's ape movie in there. Hell, the movies deal with time travel and splitting timelines, everything can be canon.
Now this image is appropriate:
Spoiler:
EVERYTHING IS CANON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Only seen the reboot movie with Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy, Harry Potter series) in it as the villain. No interest for the classics cause it looks bad tbh..
Looks bad or looks old?
I thought the same and only watched them one day I was bored and ended up liking them.
The movies are great.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Watch the very first one at least. It's a classic. You'll understand why the franchise became so popular.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #18
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Watch the original. It's a brilliant film and there's a reason it's left a mark on society.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #19
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Some people just need to be educated on the subject matter. There are some movies that are just essential viewing to any sci-fi fan or any self respecting movie go-er.

Cylon is great, but I would like to broaden his horizons. There are some others out there who are uncultured swine, but not him. Some people just don't appreciate the fine arts.

He still cares about me!!!
Old 02-26-2017, 12:34 AM   #20
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I have to re-clarified, I watched RISE of the Planet of the Apes (2011). I never watched the reboot 2001 nor the classic 1968.

But hopefully that's soon about to change cause now I'm interested.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote