The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
Spike Spiegel
Welcome Back, Samus!

Want to get into Transformers, where to start?

All I've seen is the first Bay film and the first five G1 episodes, and that was over 10 years ago. I am currently reading the old Marvel comic from the 1980s. I have not seen the animated film from 1986, either.

The CGI series "Prime" looks decent, but do I need to watch the rest of G1 for the fullest impact? Or is there a better series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
All I've seen is the first Bay film and the first five G1 episodes, and that was over 10 years ago. I am currently reading the old Marvel comic from the 1980s. I have not seen the animated film from 1986, either.

The CGI series "Prime" looks decent, but do I need to watch the rest of G1 for the fullest impact? Or is there a better series?
There's the G1 series that you can watch all of, be sure to include Transformers: The Movie, cause the later seasons takes place after that movie came out.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Prime is a good show and you don't need any prior knowledge to watch it.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Beast Wars is also pretty good too, it takes place from the G1 universe, there is also Beast Machines which came after it.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
MsMarvelDuckie
I know Quack-Fu

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Yes I would definitely watch the first two seasons of G1 before you watch the animated movie.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

The "cartoons" if you call them that, haven't aged particularly well. Tried to rewatch some of them myself and got incredibly bored after 10-15 eps.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #7
Autbot_Benz
I Am The Doctor

Watch beast wars its fantastic a 3 season show that has a beginning middle and end and actual character development 2 things G1 lacked

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #8
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The "cartoons" if you call them that, haven't aged particularly well. Tried to rewatch some of them myself and got incredibly bored after 10-15 eps.
Honestly, its aged better than the Fred Wolf show. Even G.I. Joe has aged better.
LeotheLateBloomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
ToTheNines
Banned

Beast Wars. That is all.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Honestly, its aged better than the Fred Wolf show. Even G.I. Joe has aged better.
I don't know about G.I. Joe as I've never watched it, but Transformers felt too slow or difficult to get into. I guess you could argue it had more "plot" obviously, but overall it was meh.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist

Yeah, I can agree to that. But if I had to choose between it or Bayformers, I'd take the former.

G.I. Joe, I believe is pretty much the same in terms of animation, so it probably won't grab you but you might like it for what it is. It airs on the Discovery Family Channel, depending if you have that channel.
LeotheLateBloomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #12
Shark_Blade
Prince Elias Acorn

Transformers 1 & 3. The rest just got worse.

Sonic Mania - PS4, Nintendo Switch, Xbone, PC
Sonic Forces 2017 - PS4, Nintendo Switch, Xbone, PC
Sonic joined IDW Publishing - possible crossover with TMNT in the future?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #13
sdp
<<raver>>

I grew up in that weird generation that didn't get any "traditional" Transformers cartoons besides Beast Wars which is a slightly different take. Too young for the original series but too old for the revival in the early 00s.

I mean I remember catching an episode or two of G2 but it felt so old that I never got into it since I was already into more "dynamic" stuff like BTAS and Power Rangers.

But I was actually wondering the same thing as Spike today as I was driving and saw a posters of the new Transformers. I had no attachment to the franchise so I actually enjoyed the first movie, didn't watch any of the sequels and that was like ten years ago or more. I watched the "movie" pilot of Transformers Animated but it didn't do much for me.

I think I should just watch Beast Wars since I liked it as a kid and it's highly regarded. And I'm thinking of just watching the hollywood movies, I don't think I have enough in me to get into the other traditional shows.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #14
Powder
Endless Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Beast Wars. That is all.
This, honestly. It's the only time Transformers was able to make a fan of me.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:52 PM   #15
DestronMirage22
Mad Scientist

All the seasons of G1 plus the movie are great. Plenty of fun stories, cool characters, and hilarious animation errors.

I also highly recommend the various japanese shows (The Headmasters, Victory, Masterforce, etc.). They're fantastic! Loads of awesome characters and different types of Transformers are introduced, which lead to some great stories. Might not be for everyone (being subbed and all) but I really like them and definitely recommend them.

Spoiler:
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #16
Spike Spiegel
Welcome Back, Samus!

This clip is what got me interested in Prime:

For those who have seen both, how does it compare to Beast Wars? I never really watched it as a kid, as I preferred that Bruce Timm style/2D aesthetic, but friends I've had over the years swear up and down that it's one of the best action cartoons of the '90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:36 PM   #17
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Beast Wars has better storytelling and characters, Prime has better animation and more fluid action. Just watch them both, they're both worth it.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:56 AM   #18
Wildcat
Mad Scientist

I got started on Beast Wars. It's a great show. I don't know if it's the best way to get into it though. I still wanna go back and watch G1.

I've seen the live action movies (except the Last Knight) which I've enjoyed but I feel like I'd be able to appreciate them more and BW if I saw the original series.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:42 AM   #19
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob

I really dug Transformers Animated, Prime is good, if you don't mind the unflattering cgi Beast Wars is great. Transformers the Movie is worth a watch, the only good TF movie out there.

If you're into comics, IDW is doing great stuff with TF.
Candy Kappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #20
Wesley
Stone Warrior

Armada was the first Transformers cartoon I watched and only Transformers cartoon I really liked. It had the best version of Starscream, imo. Didn't know much about Transformers before that aside from reading a book about them.

Last edited by Wesley; 07-07-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
megatron, optimus prime, transformers, transformers prime