The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #1
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,652
Is there any system you regret buying?

Just wondering. Has anyone here bought a Virtual Boy or a 3DO when they came out?

I've only had good systems so no... although the Game Gear was kind of lousy. I remembering having 2 games for it only: a Sonic game and Shinobi. Shinobi was OK but hard as hell. Sonic... don't remember anything about it. Also, I wasn't the one who bought it, but my brother.

I know people who bought Sega Saturns and Dreamcasts when they came out and regretted it later. My brother and I loved our Saturn, however.

So, what about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:28 AM   #2
Turo602
The King of Kings
 
Turo602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 2,229
I've only ever bought modern consoles, so not really. I'm pretty happy with the library of games I have for most of my systems, and there's still plenty I'd like to get for each system.
__________________
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:33 AM   #3
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 12,885
I've only regretted not buying systems, like SNES and PS2. I've missed out on some games due to that.
Candy Kappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I've only regretted not buying systems, like SNES and PS2. I've missed out on some games due to that.
I regretted not buying the original DS or a 360/PS3 back in the day, but I went through a spell where I got a bit burnout of videogames around 2009-2011, so I never got around to pull the trigger.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
Shark_Blade
Prince Elias Acorn
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,144
Nope. I love my Vita & WiiU even - both have great exclusives.
__________________

Sonic Mania - PS4, Nintendo Switch, Xbone, PC
Sonic Forces 2017 - PS4, Nintendo Switch, Xbone, PC
Sonic joined IDW Publishing - possible crossover with TMNT in the future?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #6
Wesley
Stone Warrior
 
Wesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 957
Not really. I guess the closest would be the Game.com portable by Tiger Electronics. The PDA-style features and touchscreen were ahead of their time, though. Never used the Internet function, as I didn't know how to use it back then as a kid.

I thought the packed-in games Lights Out and Batman & Robin along with the built-in game Soltaire were alright in small doses. Never beat Batman & Robin, though. Never had an interest in getting any other games for it, even though a Sonic game was released.

I'm surprised to find out that the handheld was only cancelled in 2000. Thought it would have been cancelled long before that.
__________________
Splinter: "Winning is nothing. Doing your best and acting with honour are the only things that matter." (from Wrath of the Rat King)

Last edited by Wesley; 08-05-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,495
Thought about buying an Atari Lynx (model II) with 6 games yesterday for $100, but ultimately just couldn't justify it. Should I give it a second though? Anybody know of a must-have exclusive to the old handheld?
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
GoldMutant
Rest. In. Peace.
 
GoldMutant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,682
Definitely regretted getting some consoles as a kid too late growing up. When I did, they were at the end of their lifespans and the majority of my friends either began using apps or had the newer consoles. Some games I missed such as on the Xbox 360.

As for actual regret owning? Probably the Plug It and Play TV consoles. I had a few growing up; loved them as a kid, but the ones I owned were bad. Only two that were decent were a Spider-Man one and another based on Power Rangers S.P.D.
__________________
Quote:
"It's only natural for living creatures to fight to protect their own lives. But what makes us human is that we fight for others. But who do you fight for? How hard must you fight...? That's the true measure of what human life is worth. Even when the battle's over, and the bonds that connect us are severed... We always return... Time and time again." -Phoenix Wright
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,636
I had a Game Gear as a kid with only 5 games. Only decent game I had for it was Sonic the Hedgehog 2. But my father bought it for me as a kid so I don't count it.

The battery life was horrid, I remember it took like 6 AA batteries and they all died after like 2-3 hours.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #10
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 1,721
Like CC I didn't actually buy it but I begged my parent to buy me and my siblings a sega saturn. It came with I think virtua cop and maybe a race or fight game also. Might have only been like a sample of games included, I can't really remember. Could not affordable other games because the system was pricey. I used it a lot as a music CD player. I still had a snes so played that more.

The regretful part was that a short time after getting the Saturn I found out about n64 and wanted one of those but parents just spent a truck load of money on the Saturn so I didn't ask for the n64 right away.

I just wanted that saturn so bad because I heard how cool the genesis was and only ever had Nintendo. I eventually did get a n64 and it's one on my all time favorites.

Cubed you needed a battery pack for your gamegear. But that wouldn't have helped much with the awkward position you needed the screen in to see it though. NBA jam was fun on that and baseball too.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #11
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 13,002
Kinda not all that happy with the NES Mini.

EDIT: Oh and the Razer Forge TV is pretty whack.
__________________
Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

I make terrible video games. Please buy them.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #12
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,456
Any system that I have bought with my own money I do not regret. I do regret having an NES, though. All I remember were the games being so hard and always crying because of it. **** the NES.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #13
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,749
I kind of regret getting a Wii in 2008. Not because of it being a bad system or anything, I absolutely loved it to death and played alot of ssb brawl.

However, I did have the unfortunate curse of getting a Korean Wii in a foreign country before migrating in 2009. As soon as I had Internet access, I updated my Wii and got error 003 less than a year after I bought it.

Ever since, its been collecting dust in the shelf for the past 8 years. Decided to try it again a few months ago and it was in perfect physical condition, but still showed the same error message upon booting up.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #14
sdp
<<raver>>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MO
Posts: 5,425
I owned the Virtual Boy and got it the christmas after release date. I was definitely disappointed since I thought this was the next console after the SNES and didn't understand how this was better if it was all red and black.
I found the games I owned a bit boring though and didn't have the depth of SNES games which made sense since it was more of a Game Boy successor. I don't exactly regret buying it though, I was a bit disappointed but I still found the 3D graphics awesome.

The Virtual Boy has a lot of myths online from people who never had it when it came out, it's easy without context to buy it now and make a youtube video about how much it sucks as an adult. I never had headaches or nausea or any problems with it. And if I hadn't gotten it for my "big" christmas present that year I would've just gotten a Power Rangers megazord from season 2 or 3 which while awsome as well I never did play with all the original megazords either so no biggie. I likely would've hated more not having the VB since I thought it was the coolest thing ever.



One thing I do regret getting was this:

The R-Zone was LCD Tiger system with switchabled games instead of being stuck with only one of them. I'll probably write about an article on my website soonish but like the VB this gets hated on by most people who never owned one when it came out. And while I do regret asking for it, it's annoying seeing so much negativity from people who don't even realize the context of the product. I mostly bought it since it looked like a scouter from DBZ And the games while sucky they're your standard LCD Tiger games, it's not like they were much worse but at least now you could have them all in one "package"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Any system that I have bought with my own money I do not regret. I do regret having an NES, though. All I remember were the games being so hard and always crying because of it. **** the NES.
git gud

But yeah games were definitely hard but that was part of the design, imagine how boring it would've been to beat the expensive games after 30 minutes. Somehow playing a level over and over again was not that bad and made the games more memorable than many superior games. I don't have bad memories just because they were hard.

I thought i just sucked at the NES because I was a child, only being able to beat 3 or 4 of all the games I had. And I thought that the older I got the better I got since I beat more SNES games and by the time I was an older kid with a N64 I used to beat almost all games. Little did I know then that NES games were just harder.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #15
Turo602
The King of Kings
 
Turo602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
But yeah games were definitely hard but that was part of the design, imagine how boring it would've been to beat the expensive games after 30 minutes. Somehow playing a level over and over again was not that bad and made the games more memorable than many superior games. I don't have bad memories just because they were hard.
It's not part of the design, it was just sh*tty design. Games were still in their infancy and there weren't really any rules or standards to follow. Not to mention the limitations at the time didn't help matters either. There's a reason you were able to pass more games on the SNES and N64 and that's because game design was improving and simple features like saving were becoming standard.
__________________
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #16
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
But yeah games were definitely hard but that was part of the design, imagine how boring it would've been to beat the expensive games after 30 minutes. Somehow playing a level over and over again was not that bad and made the games more memorable than many superior games. I don't have bad memories just because they were hard.
Why do I have to explain myself for making these statements? Like, do I always have to say "TO ME such and such" so people don't get all indignant?

IIIIIIIII was a child and IIIIIIIIIIIII wanted to win. It would have been much more fun TO ME "to beat the expensive games after 30 minutes" because IIIIIIII wanted to win. That's why IIIIIIII hate the NES. I fully understand it's a shallow reason. I fully understand I was a bitch and a baby. But IIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiIIiiiIIIIII hate the NES.

Christ.
__________________

Last edited by Cure; 08-05-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,636
NES games haven't aged well, but I like that Nintendo remade nearly everything:

1. Mario 1-3 were all remade in both Mario All-Stars for SNES and the GBA ports.

2. Metroid 1 got the excellent Zero Mission remake for GBA.

3. Zelda 1 technically got a remake although it was Japan only, even then A Link to the Past was basically the same game done better either way.

4. Kirby Adventure on NES got remade as Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland for GBA.

5. Punchout NES essentially had Punchout Wii as a remake, as it used all the same fighters and only added 1 new one. It also re-did the story of the original.

6. Donkey Kong, etc. are just Arcade game ports so it doesn't matter.


Nintendo remade all their big NES games anyway, so if the originals are too hard play the remakes.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:07 AM   #18
sdp
<<raver>>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MO
Posts: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
It's not part of the design, it was just sh*tty design. Games were still in their infancy and there weren't really any rules or standards to follow. Not to mention the limitations at the time didn't help matters either. There's a reason you were able to pass more games on the SNES and N64 and that's because game design was improving and simple features like saving were becoming standard.
You can call it bad game design but it was deliberate and done for a reason. If you make a game easy to finish then they'd finish the game quickly and people wouldn't have liked that. The difficulty added replay value. I was able to pass games in the SNES/N64 era because they were less challenging and most importantly you could save. Most people can easily finish NES games now because of saved states. They were different times, it wasn't bad design but the appropriate given the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Why do I have to explain myself for making these statements? Like, do I always have to say "TO ME such and such" so people don't get all indignant?

IIIIIIIII was a child and IIIIIIIIIIIII wanted to win. It would have been much more fun TO ME "to beat the expensive games after 30 minutes" because IIIIIIII wanted to win. That's why IIIIIIII hate the NES. I fully understand it's a shallow reason. I fully understand I was a bitch and a baby. But IIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiIIiiiIIIIII hate the NES.

Christ.
Your Peanut act is tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
NES games haven't aged well, but I like that Nintendo remade nearly everything:

Nintendo remade all their big NES games anyway, so if the originals are too hard play the remakes.

I disagree, NES games have aged fine. The remakes of the Mario series (All-stars/GBA) are fine alternatives but they're not as good as the originals, especially the All-Stars versions where something just feels off about the physics and I'm not normally one to notice those details. The GBA remakes fix this for the most part however the annoying voice acting added and aspect ratio of the GBA with no backlight don't help them become the definitive versions. I prefer the originals, I'm not saying those remakes didn't add cool stuff but yeah not the definitive versions.

I wish the stella view game was available but I don't know if LOZ would be better, part of the charm is the old graphics. While an awesome game it really feels dated since every newer Zelda game did the concept better and if you're going to play for nostalgia why not go all the way back to the original.

I'd hardly count Punch-Out Wii a better version, while I guess you can consider it a remake storywise, it plays totally different from the original.

Haven't played Zero Mission or Nightmare in Dreamland so can't comment on those but what do you mean by "Arcade ports...so it doesn't matter" In this ecase I'd actually agree some of the remakes are better. For example Mario Bros is a lot of fun when not playing the original version in any of the many remakes it has had. Donkey Kong had the 94 remake which includes the complete original Arcade game but with the added mechanics it's really not that fun until you get to the game built around those new controls. The original isn't that hard and fun. Jr. and 3 would benefit from a more forgiving port.

I find PS360 era games have aged the worst so far, it hasn't been so long ago and yet they're so similar to newer games that do the same things better.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:31 AM   #19
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,456
Haha, OK yeah. I'm acting like I hate NES. I'm out.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:53 AM   #20
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 13,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp
-clipped nonsense-
If you ever applied basic logic to a single situation around here, I think I would literally have a heart attack and die.
__________________
Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

I make terrible video games. Please buy them.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.