The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 7,023
Incorporating Science with The Grapes of Wrath

I am starting up another degree and have an assignment which I have to incorporate five subjects into an integrated lesson plan. We have to chose a work of literature in which to base it all upon. I chose to base it a around the Grapes of Wrath,but I have come to one stumbling block. Does anyone on the Techndorme have any ideas how I can incorporate science with The Grapes of Wrath? I know there are plenty of fellow teachers around. Thanks for any suggestions.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I am starting up another degree and have an assignment which I have to incorporate five subjects into an integrated lesson plan. We have to chose a work of literature in which to base it all upon. I chose to base it a around the Grapes of Wrath,but I have come to one stumbling block. Does anyone on the Techndorme have any ideas how I can incorporate science with The Grapes of Wrath? I know there are plenty of fellow teachers around. Thanks for any suggestions.
The science of erosion and the dust bowl?

Social science related to the people and devolution of previous period social structures?
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #3
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas, US
Posts: 3,222
Depends on what you mean by "science". Do you mean technology? Biology? Physics? Chemistry?

Technology might be the most fitting.

I could see some kind of a steampunk/futuristic Grapes of Wrath, showing the "other side" of the "gleam and sparkle" of 21st century idea of futurism.

In the same way that there are the two different sides to the Depression era 30's. Between the boom of film and culture in the cities, and the suffering and misery of the farmers desperate and and unable to locate a new home for their work.

Likewise on the biology side, there are plenty of issues. What would be causing the migration to California/"California"? What would the stillbirth at the end of the story mean in "the future", in a time where that could ideally be averted far more than now or the 30's, even for the most poverty stricken?
__________________
Utrommaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,726
My first thought went to the climate science that lead to the Dust Bowl in the first place, and then the agricultural stuff that went into how they got it under control.

Also I'm sure there's a public health aspect that'd be interesting to go into.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot just get older and older and angrier and angrier, all the while waiting for the world to bend to their whim, never, ever really being satisfied with any of the "victories" achieved at large and wondering why no one outside of whatever construct bubble they've placed themself [sic] (look, I did it!) in wants to mess with them.
plastroncafe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 7,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Depends on what you mean by "science". Do you mean technology? Biology? Physics? Chemistry?

Technology might be the most fitting.

I could see some kind of a steampunk/futuristic Grapes of Wrath, showing the "other side" of the "gleam and sparkle" of 21st century idea of futurism.

In the same way that there are the two different sides to the Depression era 30's. Between the boom of film and culture in the cities, and the suffering and misery of the farmers desperate and and unable to locate a new home for their work.

Likewise on the biology side, there are plenty of issues. What would be causing the migration to California/"California"? What would the stillbirth at the end of the story mean in "the future", in a time where that could ideally be averted far more than now or the 30's, even for the most poverty stricken?

I need to incorporate English(Literature), History, Science( Earth Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and related sciences) and Math, and Arts ( Art or Music). I have a solid idea of where to go except for Science.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas, US
Posts: 3,222
Definately climate science. Given that soil disparity was driving farmers off their land. The dust bowl didn't help either, but I don't know if that was before or after GOW.

And as stated before, there's quite a bit of medical science. Again, the stresses of the journey causing a rather young woman's pregnancy to end in a stillbirth, for instance. Lack of food, lack of sleep, lack of sanitation, high stress, her age (18 ), all the dust she would have been breathing in...there's quite a lot to factor in with that alone.
__________________
Utrommaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #7
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 7,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Definately climate science. Given that soil disparity was driving farmers off their land. The dust bowl didn't help either, but I don't know if that was before or after GOW.

And as stated before, there's quite a bit of medical science. Again, the stresses of the journey causing a rather young woman's pregnancy to end in a stillbirth, for instance. Lack of food, lack of sleep, lack of sanitation, high stress, her age (18 ), all the dust she would have been breathing in...there's quite a lot to factor in with that alone.
I did not realize Roseof Sharon was only 18. I was assuming mid 20s'.

Okay, so perhaps a written assignment based around the effects on the human body. That is a good idea,but can you further that into a better worded manner than I just did and maybe a little more elaborated.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas, US
Posts: 3,222
Okay, she's actually 19, I just checked. And the topic of a stillbirth could tie into multiple other conditions, which I'll put in bold.

Which is the first step in the problems of her stillbirth at the end of the story.

For most 19 year old mothers, stillbirths would be rare, even during the Great Depression...if they're healthy and relatively unstressed.

But Rose of Sharon was going on a long journey in a crowded truck, with little to eat for food and water. Which is problem number one that would cause it. So malnutrition and dehydration would be hugely impactful. And the family knew this, so their search for food was significantly more desperate...fearing an unwell baby, not a dead one. Her starvation is credited toward the baby's death in the text itself. But she's not starved so completely that she's not able to lactate - which comes in good fortune when she comes to the starving man's rescue.

Stress and poor hygiene would come packed together when travelling a dusty road with multiple family members, including one that was dying. And then the ultimate stress: being abandoned by her brother and her husband.

Malnutrition and its effects on the Joad family as a whole could be a scientific topic to cover in and of itself, but from the "symbolism" of the story, how it impacts Rose of Sharon would probably be the best focus.
__________________
Utrommaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 7,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Okay, she's actually 19, I just checked. And the topic of a stillbirth could tie into multiple other conditions, which I'll put in bold.

Which is the first step in the problems of her stillbirth at the end of the story.

For most 19 year old mothers, stillbirths would be rare, even during the Great Depression...if they're healthy and relatively unstressed.

But Rose of Sharon was going on a long journey in a crowded truck, with little to eat for food and water. Which is problem number one that would cause it. So malnutrition and dehydration would be hugely impactful. And the family knew this, so their search for food was significantly more desperate...fearing an unwell baby, not a dead one. Her starvation is credited toward the baby's death in the text itself. But she's not starved so completely that she's not able to lactate - which comes in good fortune when she comes to the starving man's rescue.

Stress and poor hygiene would come packed together when travelling a dusty road with multiple family members, including one that was dying. And then the ultimate stress: being abandoned by her brother and her husband.

Malnutrition and its effects on the Joad family as a whole could be a scientific topic to cover in and of itself, but from the "symbolism" of the story, how it impacts Rose of Sharon would probably be the best focus.

This is a good thought. I am going to meditate on it and let you know how it forms. I just got an 87 on a group project in which the professor stated an explanation of how grades were to be given was not mentioned when the rubric asked for the assignments themselves. A little on the pissy side in the quest for an in the degree's hardest course so I looking at all angles including here to gain it.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:32 PM   #10
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas, US
Posts: 3,222
Well, good luck on that!

I'm about to get to some of the hardest stuff in my course myself...and all three of those classes taking place on two days...
__________________
Utrommaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.