The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2017, 05:01 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 13,891
Bond 25-Daniel Craig Steps Down As Bond

Despite constant on/off statements as down to the wire as yesterday, Daniel Craig confirmed on Stephen Colbert's Late Show that the next Bond movie will be his swansong as the iconic spy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...mes-bond-again
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #2
Shark_Blade
Prince Elias Acorn
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,254
Best Bond wants to go out on a high note.
__________________

Sonic joined IDW Publishing - possible crossover with TMNT in the future?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,828
I wouldn't want to end my Bond career with Spectre either.

I'm just glad this finally ends the will he/won't he articles on him returning. I need to focus on more important things like is Affleck going to be Batman in the Matt Reeves movie.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,536
Cool, I like him as Bond, but I thought he hated doing it. Like, vehemently.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost
 
ProactiveMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,001
I like him a lot, but he copped a major tude after Skyfall. I get payed an order of magnitude less than that mofo, but I still have to pretend I like my job, at least enough to be civil about it.
__________________
ProactiveMan!
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 12,029
I liked SPECTRE just fine on paper. Terrible execution. I just hope it doesn't scare away future Bond filmmakers from continuing to use Blofeld and SPECTRE.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
dl316bh
Hench Mutant
 
dl316bh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 369
The only thing that surprises me is that it was up in the air this long. Daniel Craig's clearly wanted out. Regardless, five Bond films is a respectable number and around average for someone in the role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Cool, I like him as Bond, but I thought he hated doing it. Like, vehemently.
Most do, it seems. Sean Connery hated the character. I think Pierce Brosnan was fine with the role, but I remember he admitted once he was never a hundred percent comfortable with it. Roger Moore might have liked it? I don't remember. I know he was uncomfortable with continuing to play Bond as he got older. Craig kind of fits in, in that regard.
__________________
dl316bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #8
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 13,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Most do, it seems. Sean Connery hated the character
He not only hated the character, he hated the Brocolis too.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 12,029
Perhaps the next one after can feature Jamie Bond, and reveal M (Ralph Fiennes) to be gay?

All of this news is fairly meangingless. Every Bond movie has been Daniel Craig's last one until it isn't. Filming a Bond movie is a pretty life-sucking thing, and then at the end of the day to have it not be received so well (SPECTRE) is probably pretty disheartening after sacrificing so much for it. If the next movie is super well received like Skyfall, he'll probably stay around.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #10
dl316bh
Hench Mutant
 
dl316bh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Perhaps the next one after can feature Jamie Bond, and reveal M (Ralph Fiennes) to be gay?
Eh. Why not. Might as well confirm the "James Bond is a codename" thing while they're at it. They've wanted to do that since Brosnan anyway.

Quote:
All of this news is fairly meangingless. Every Bond movie has been Daniel Craig's last one until it isn't. Filming a Bond movie is a pretty life-sucking thing, and then at the end of the day to have it not be received so well (SPECTRE) is probably pretty disheartening after sacrificing so much for it. If the next movie is super well received like Skyfall, he'll probably stay around.
That's all very true, but he's definitely reached that point where most Bonds either tap out or are pushed out. It's mainly a matter of when "the last straw" was and if whatever helped him make this decision was it. They're also a super involved process where you really can't do much between films, not to mention he's been wrapped up in them for eleven years, now, probably somewhere near fifteen by the time this film happens. Only Roger Moore has been with the character longer, as of this time.

Quote:
He not only hated the character, he hated the Brocolis too.
Yeah, dude was done with everything involving Bond by the end.
__________________
dl316bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 12,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Yeah, dude was done with everything involving Bond by the end.
He came back to voice James Bond on one of the original X-Box era Bond games. It's like the last thing he's done as an actor, ever.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #12
dl316bh
Hench Mutant
 
dl316bh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
He came back to voice James Bond on one of the original X-Box era Bond games. It's like the last thing he's done as an actor, ever.
Oh yeah, a "Russia With Love" game. I remember that now. I guess a couple decades can dull the edge. Plus I doubt it was nearly as involved a process as a Bond movie, so I imagine it would have made for a much simpler paycheck.
__________________
dl316bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 12,029
I want to believe it was like Shatner with Kirk. Eventually just... warmed up to it and embraced it in his older age.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #14
dl316bh
Hench Mutant
 
dl316bh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I want to believe it was like Shatner with Kirk. Eventually just... warmed up to it and embraced it in his older age.
Nimoy and Spock too, going with the Star Trek example; though I don't recall Nimoy being as cranky about it as Shatner got at times. It could be. Connery doesn't talk much in the public eye these days, right? I haven't seen anyone ask if his feelings have changed, or heard much about him in years.

Though James Bond was such a taboo topic with him for so long, people might just avoid it instinctively now.
__________________
dl316bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #15
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost
 
ProactiveMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Eh. Why not. Might as well confirm the "James Bond is a codename" thing while they're at it. They've wanted to do that since Brosnan
People talk about that idea as though it makes sense out of Bond's continuity, but it is just as messy and contradictory as assuming he's the same guy. You have to write off references to his dead wife, his family lore, peerage, military record etc. Granted, It doesn't make less sense than a 40 year old man who's been on active service since the 1960s, but it's not as elegant a solution as internet listicles would have us believe.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:11 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 12,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
People talk about that idea as though it makes sense out of Bond's continuity, but it is just as messy and contradictory as assuming he's the same guy. You have to write off references to his dead wife, his family lore, peerage, military record etc. Granted, It doesn't make less sense than a 40 year old man who's been on active service since the 1960s, but it's not as elegant a solution as internet listicles would have us believe.
I do think the Craig reboot thing was a mistake, though. Bond had a certain charm in being this ageless thing... same character, different actors, continuing history, even if certain real world dates and events make older ones less possible to happen to a guy in the present day that's under the age of 80. It was fine. If they wanted to dial back the gadgets for a few movies or even tell a "younger Bond" movie or two, that would have fine, too... junking the history because the Brocollis were self conscious about Austin Powers and Jason Bourne wasn't.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:23 AM   #17
snake
Noided
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,669
I hope the next Bond is allowed to be fun. Austin Powers is a comedy, and it's been over a decade since it was released, so it shouldn't be able to dictate the tone of upcoming Bond movies. Even Mission Impossible learned to have fun with RN. Gritty Bond is honestly boring, and when you play it too "realistic" you end up with sh*t like SPECTRE where it almost becomes a parody of itself.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:26 AM   #18
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost
 
ProactiveMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I do think the Craig reboot thing was a mistake, though. Bond had a certain charm in being this ageless thing... same character, different actors, continuing history, even if certain real world dates and events make older ones less possible to happen to a guy in the present day that's under the age of 80. It was fine. If they wanted to dial back the gadgets for a few movies or even tell a "younger Bond" movie or two, that would have fine, too... junking the history because the Brocollis were self conscious about Austin Powers and Jason Bourne wasn't.
Yeah, I would prefer they just don't acknowledge time at all and just keep making more-or-less standalone movies about the same character. The worst thing they did was to reference 9/11 in Die Another Day. I know why they did it, but it's hard to come back from that. Now he's in the real world at a specific time and place.

The Austin Powers thing is funny. They were so worried about comparisons to Austin Powers and then give Spectre the same plot twist as Goldmember.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:28 AM   #19
dl316bh
Hench Mutant
 
dl316bh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I hope the next Bond is allowed to be fun.
Same. I've enjoyed the Craig era, but it got a little too "real", I guess, and took too many cues from what everything else was doing in the genre. I miss the wackiness, the gadgets and the like.

Quote:
People talk about that idea as though it makes sense out of Bond's continuity, but it is just as messy and contradictory as assuming he's the same guy. You have to write off references to his dead wife, his family lore, peerage, military record etc. Granted, It doesn't make less sense than a 40 year old man who's been on active service since the 1960s, but it's not as elegant a solution as internet listicles would have us believe.
I guess, but I don't think it's any worse a solution than what they did, which did get kind of silly the longer it went on. But at the same time, it's a moot point, because they rebooted with Craig anyway and, for all we know, may soft reboot again.
__________________
dl316bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:08 AM   #20
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost
 
ProactiveMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,001
They made the reboot sort of confusing at times too though. Judy Dench was M again, so itís almost like they were hedging their bets to pull that codename stunt, but still have it in Eon continuity if they wanted to, but then they gave Daniel Craig the OG Bondís backstory and introduced a rebooted Blofeld. Plus the DB5 show up in Skyfall, which I though was just a funny little reference at first, but then they used it pretty extensively in the last act; goofball gadgets and all.
__________________
ProactiveMan!
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.