The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 08-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

What is the one incarnation of the tmnt you could never get into?

As a part of being a tmnt fan, alot of us have come to appreciate alot of differentt versions over the years.

However, is there any one particular version you were never motivated to check out at all or if you did, not get into it one bit?

For me, that version is the IDW comics. Now dont get me wrong, I didn't get into it not because of quality reasons (the comics look pretty well made to me), but because Im not much into comic books in the first place.

Whereas I find Archie interesting because its related to the Original Cartoon and Mirage because its the Original tmnt, I cant motivate myself to get into IDW at all. If those comics were a tv show or a movie in the future I probably would check em out and probably even like/love them but for now, Im not a tmnt IDW fan.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 08-30-2017 at 02:12 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Archie.

Never got into it as a kid, even less desire now as an adult.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

For me it as The Next Mutation.
It's of a style that's never worked for me, and it came out at a time when I had even less interest in that sort of thing than I do now.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've watched/read everything, so no. Even saw all of Next Mutation when it originally aired.

I guess the only thing I haven't read is the UK TMNT comics based on the original cartoon, but those have never been made available here so I can't read them.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I've never had an interest in reading the comics, but aside from them, I was never able to get into the 2012 tv series. Thought it suffered from an identity crisis, as it couldn't strike the right balance between being lighthearted and serious. Didn't care much for the 1990 movie either when I first watched it as an adult, though I liked the 2007 film.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

For those who can't get comics in their country, I'm pretty sure you can buy them digitally nowadays. You don't even have to buy physical comics anymore in the modern year of 2017.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
mrmaczaps
Banned

The Archie comics... I own the 3 issue mini series but I couldn't see spending the cash to find great copies of the 72 issue run... I hear its kind of political... hahaha

And I wish I had never seen either new movies... the nightmares just never end...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
newfan
Mad Scientist

A bit premature for me to give and answer as I'm still exploring but I did catch a glance of Next Mutation and I'm confident I wouldn't get into that.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
And I wish I had never seen either new movies... the nightmares just never end...
That's not even an incarnation. More like an abomination.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think I tried for the Archie comics, but got bored.

Anything theatrical doesn't really grip me - least of all the 2007 movie.

Not because of an "Utroms or gtfo" thing (though it doesn't help), but because they seem bottom of the barrel riding on Turtlemania™...no matter how good the 1990 movie apparently is. Though, the only thing the PD movies have done for me is design ideas. Krang's was the only thing I liked about the entire abomination.

AND LAST MUTATION...
Old 08-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Gee, let's see here.
  • The FW cartoon is just awful in a boring kind of way.
  • The Archie stuff is just a sloppy but somewhat better version of the FW cartoon.
  • The second and third movies are kinda trashy.
  • Next Mutation isn't something I've bothered to check out in full.
  • I haven't read the Image series because of lack of availability, the same goes for the Dreamwave comic.
  • The first PD movie is generically bad and the second one legitimately pissed me off.
  • The Nick comics are just kind of pointless additions to the Nick continuity.
It's not like all of these are irredeemable or anything, just that I've never really been into any of them.

Then there's the Nickelodeon cartoon which is a bit of a mixed bag, I started out generally positive and to be fair it does have decent episodes throughout. However, it got so damn tiresome so early on and kept being so damn awkward, I just wish the last three episodes would get dumped on DVD within the next few weeks like the rest of them so I can just finish it and put it behind me already.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I've watched/read everything, so no. Even saw all of Next Mutation when it originally aired.

I guess the only thing I haven't read is the UK TMNT comics based on the original cartoon, but those have never been made available here so I can't read them.
Pretty much this.

That said, the only universe I really take any issue with is the Platinum Dunes one, but I'm not gonna beat that dead horse. I revisit all iterations pretty frequently, but I won't say that same of that one.

Additionally, Mirage Vol. 4. It's decent but not really my cup of tea. I don't casually re-read those issues as I do most others. No hate, just find it a bit of a boring chore at times, to be honest. The Tales Vol. 2 stories that take place during that same time period are pretty good, though.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
However, is there any one particular version you were never motivated to check out at all or if you did, not get into it one bit?
Probably the "Half Shell Heroes" stuff, or anything showcasing the TMNT when they were little in any kind of an exaggerated cutesy fashion.

It's creepy, it's weird and it seems like just about one shade way from being pedophilic. It's weird that they love making that stuff and it's weird that grown adults want to see it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #14
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Probably the "Half Shell Heroes" stuff, or anything showcasing the TMNT when they were little in any kind of an exaggerated cutesy fashion.

It's creepy, it's weird and it seems like just about one shade way from being pedophilic. It's weird that they love making that stuff and it's weird that grown adults want to see it.

-----------------------------------------------

I'm not invested with the Nick cartoon anymore, and every other TMNT incarnation doesn't interest me.

Personally, I am more interested in the characters than the franchise itself.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:38 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Comics... Only because I didn't grow up a comic reader and was never really a thing I've done much of in general.

That said, I've still enjoyed some of what I've come across online now and then and I've considered getting collect volumes someday, so at the very least when I have the interest in doing so and can better afford it, it at least still gives me something to look forward to when TMNT is in a lull.

Had I been paying attention to the franchise at the time, Next Mutation would probably be on that list. However it was just a guilty pleasure semi-binge watch a couple/few years ago when I found it available on demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Wait, but it's no longer weird if they're teenagers that adults are watching?

I dunno, to each their own. I just find it on the adorable side. Don't really see how it would be almost pedo unless someone is not only attracted to the Turtles, but to every version. o.O Which I hope isn't the case with most normal people and just see the Turtles in that stuff as cute kids (Nick included unless a fan themselves is currently around that age), and no more attracted to it than someone would, say, be attracted to their spouse's childhood photos. Definitely a separation there that I hope most recognize.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 08-30-2017 at 04:54 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #16
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I give most official TMNT a chance. I've never been motivated to explore any non official stuff such as bootleg toys, comics or graphic novels. There is so much authentic stuff I don't like to waste my time on other things. But who knows what the future holds I could change my mind.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Image. It has the black and white print and all red mask that Mirage had. Also, Shredder and Rat King are dead. No familiar reoccurring characters aside from April. It had all the Mirage qualities that made it boring to an other media fan. Not only that it was something that is so dark and depressing. It was willing to maime the Turtles and willing to kill one off too. Nothing familiar, only turn offs. Nothing about the Turtles I love is present. I may be older now and prefer more mature taste, but nothing like Image.

I spit venom on The Next Mutation as well especially the female Turtle concept, but I was initially taken to it during its run thinking it needed a second season to introduce old characters. I thought it could change direction from its campy tone and may be bring Shredder in full-time, but it did not get a chance. A year after cancellation I was over the hope of something silly and mediocre could be something interesting to me. I looked down upon it like I do Image be living the two contributed to the 4 plus year of a dark era and pretend neither exist.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #18
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

The PD movies and Next Mutation hold no interest for me.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #19
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Image. It has the black and white print and all red mask that Mirage had.
This whole post is just patently wrong, & goes to show that most people who dislike Image, didn't actually f**king read it. Roast time.

Quote:
Shredder and Rat King are dead.
Shredder was dead long before volume 3, but there are TWO Shredder's in volume 3. Rat King was also dead long before volume 3, & it's not as if he was a major player in the first place, so I don't see why his absence would be so glaring an omission for you.

Quote:
No familiar reoccurring characters aside from April
Splinter, Casey, Shadow, The Foot, Shredder, Leatherhead, Utroms, Triceratons, they all say hi.

Quote:
It had all the Mirage qualities that made it boring to an other media fan.
I didn't realize high stakes, heavy action/violence, new foes, crossovers, astral projection, warring factions, mysteries from the past & thensome were so boring. Guess those "other fans" are absolute dullards. Or is it that these folks can't enjoy a series which lacks slapstick, puns, & bumbling henchman, aspects added only to make it palatable to children with attention deficit issues?

Quote:
Not only that it was something that is so dark and depressing.
Not any more than past Mirage material, which it's in-keeping with tonally/continuity wise. It's not without it's share of humor or light-heartedness, though. Take Michelangelo becoming a love-novel writing babysitter, for example. Lots of sweet moments with him & Shadow.

Quote:
It was willing to maime the Turtles and willing to kill one off too.
In one of the earliest Mirage issues Raphael tried to bash Mike's skull in with a wrench. They were regularly cut/stabbed/burned/shot at/dropped from heights/etc. over the course of their ~30 year comic run. In time they would all get screwed physically one way or another (Donnie blinded by Shadow, Raph lost an eye, Mike likely killed himself, etc.). Archie's Raph lost an eye, SAINW in 4kids did them ALL dirty. IDW "killed" Donatello too, don't forget. It's by no means new, nor was anything Image did intended to be permanent.

Quote:
Nothing familiar, only turn offs.
Except for the fact it's a direct continuation of all that came before it, features the same cast of characters, virtually unchanged. Sure thing.

Quote:
Nothing about the Turtles I love is present.
Nor was there in Mirage, then. Cowabunga.

Quote:
I may be older now and prefer more mature taste, but nothing like Image.
I question that. & you seem to like the IDW series just fine even though they did the exact same thing to Don that Image did, regularly feature beheadings, Shredder is dead, etc. Cool. I guess it gets a pass for going balls-deep into the action figure rogues gallery & Fred Wolf fanboy wish fulfillment.

Don't get me wrong, you're more than entitled to your opinion, to dislike it, but come correct, son.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #20
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
This whole post is just patently wrong, & goes to show that most people who dislike Image, didn't actually f**king read it. Roast time.

Spoiler:
Shredder was dead long before volume 3, but there are TWO Shredder's in volume 3. Rat King was also dead long before volume 3, & it's not as if he was a major player in the first place, so I don't see why his absence would be so glaring an omission for you.

Splinter, Casey, Shadow, The Foot, Shredder, Leatherhead, Utroms, Triceratons, they all say hi.

I didn't realize high stakes, heavy action/violence, new foes, crossovers, astral projection, warring factions, mysteries from the past & thensome were so boring. Guess those "other fans" are absolute dullards. Or is it that these folks can't enjoy a series which lacks slapstick, puns, & bumbling henchman, aspects added only to make it palatable to children with attention deficit issues?

Not any more than past Mirage material, which it's in-keeping with tonally/continuity wise. It's not without it's share of humor or light-heartedness, though. Take Michelangelo becoming a love-novel writing babysitter, for example. Lots of sweet moments with him & Shadow.

In one of the earliest Mirage issues Raphael tried to bash Mike's skull in with a wrench. They were regularly cut/stabbed/burned/shot at/dropped from heights/etc. over the course of their ~30 year comic run. In time they would all get screwed physically one way or another (Donnie blinded by Shadow, Raph lost an eye, Mike likely killed himself, etc.). Archie's Raph lost an eye, SAINW in 4kids did them ALL dirty. IDW "killed" Donatello too, don't forget. It's by no means new, nor was anything Image did intended to be permanent.

Except for the fact it's a direct continuation of all that came before it, features the same cast of characters, virtually unchanged. Sure thing.

Nor was there in Mirage, then. Cowabunga.

I question that. & you seem to like the IDW series just fine even though they did the exact same thing to Don that Image did, regularly feature beheadings, Shredder is dead, etc. Cool. I guess it gets a pass for going balls-deep into the action figure rogues gallery & Fred Wolf fanboy wish fulfillment.

Don't get me wrong, you're more than entitled to your opinion, to dislike it, but come correct, son.
Thank you, Powder. I thought of replying to this myself, but you did it far better than I could've.

Preach.

Tags
cuckandraph87, must be thursday, thursdays_no_medicine