The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,615
What type of online discussion platform do you prefer?

The internet is full of communities for everything: from cartoon discussion to gardening discussion. The thing is, there gave been several different platforms for people all over the world to gather and enter in contact with each other since the earliest days of the internet. Remember how chat rooms were huge back in the late 90s/early 2000s? And then message boards/forums began taking off around the early 21st century? And ofc there were also IM services such as Messenger(Yahoo and MSN).Then Skype showed up and then social networks, which made it even easier for people all over the world to get in touch with their friends and other people.

Where do you prefer to go when it comes to discussing stuff? I'd say nothing beats an internet forum as far as lengthy discussions go. It's just easier to post and read long posts on a message board than it is on a damn facebook wall or reddit. Plus, inf forums you can have avatars and sigs. It kinda saddens me that message boards are a dying breed and that none of the most popular online forums are as active as they used to be.

As far as chatting with people goes, Discord is a rather new and pretty nice service. It's like they took elements from TeamSpeak, Messenger IRC and Skype to make the ultimate IM service.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,548
I only use message boards, never used chatrooms even 15 years ago. I don't use skype or this new "discord" thing the young kids of today are using.

I occasionally check twitter/tumblr for fandom stuff but don't post there myself, but I'm forced to check over there for certain shows I follow just to see what people talk about. People don't post on traditional forums anymore like they used to so I'm forced to check out social media even though most of the time I ordinarily wouldn't.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The internet is full of communities for everything: from cartoon discussion to gardening discussion. The thing is, there gave been several different platforms for people all over the world to gather and enter in contact with each other since the earliest days of the internet. Remember how chat rooms were huge back in the late 90s/early 2000s? And then message boards/forums began taking off around the early 21st century? And ofc there were also IM services such as Messenger(Yahoo and MSN).Then Skype showed up and then social networks, which made it even easier for people all over the world to get in touch with their friends and other people.

Where do you prefer to go when it comes to discussing stuff? I'd say nothing beats an internet forum as far as lengthy discussions go. It's just easier to post and read long posts on a message board than it is on a damn facebook wall or reddit. Plus, inf forums you can have avatars and sigs. It kinda saddens me that message boards are a dying breed and that none of the most popular online forums are as active as they used to be.

As far as chatting with people goes, Discord is a rather new and pretty nice service. It's like they took elements from TeamSpeak, Messenger IRC and Skype to make the ultimate IM service.

What about you?
Comparing discussion communities to social media is a joke.

It's here we can discuss topics the best. Why? Because it's unknown who's behind an account.

At Facebook, focus will soon move from the topic to who's behind and who knows who. Sure you can create a Facebook account without telling who you are and just join discussions, but that's not what circa 99 % of the users do.
__________________
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,325
With friends, I prefer Slack.
With a wider audience, I still prefer something like LJ/DW.
Nested comments, no keyword maximums.

And people are more likely to know how to start a new paragraph, so the writing is easier to read.

While I like tumblr for casual fandom engagements, for example fan art or new fic chapters, I don't like the format for actual conversation.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?

Last edited by plastroncafe; 09-16-2017 at 03:47 PM. Reason: wrong wordage.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
sdp
<<raver>>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MO
Posts: 5,386
I loved chatrooms when I was a kid but I changed to forums and I still love forums but as we've discussed in different threads here they are dying and it's hard to find a good community which was easy in the early 00's.

I really like twitter and have been using it since it launched so ten years or so. I like slack but no one I like uses it, that's more of a work communication tool though. If I had time I would enjoy periscope more, but I was all over streaming years ago. Discord is indeed the latest thing, I think I may like it but I haven't really had time to dwell into it and every time I enter I don't know how to use it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,548
What on earth is slack? This is the first time I'm hearing this. I swear they come out with these new things every week now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #7
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Comparing discussion communities to social media is a joke.

It's here we can discuss topics the best. Why? Because it's unknown who's behind an account.

At Facebook, focus will soon move from the topic to who's behind and who knows who. Sure you can create a Facebook account without telling who you are and just join discussions, but that's not what circa 99 % of the users do.
Ofc that's not the main point of facebook, but that doesn't stop people from commenting news articles and engaging in arguments with others. It's particularly funny when people spew prejudiced vitriol... behind their real name and their profile picture
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 8,327
Always forums for larger audience, and used to be IMs for individual friends, but people don't use it much anymore.

Used MSN messenger mainly. Still wish Skype had adopted the 'winks' when it shifted users over to that.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #9
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Always forums for larger audience, and used to be IMs for individual friends, but people don't use it much anymore.

Used MSN messenger mainly. Still wish Skype had adopted the 'winks' when it shifted users over to that.
Discord is a good program for messing people. it also has servers for specific interests. There's servers where you can discuss Nintendo, sports, etc.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
It's here we can discuss topics the best. Why? Because it's unknown who's behind an account.
Yeah, don't agree with this at all.
Anonymouses don't make for better discussions.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #11
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,615
Besides, lots of people here have shared their pictures of have links to profiles and websites where you can see their real names. I find people on these forums rather open about their lives and such compared to other places.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:54 PM   #12
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,917
Definitely message boards for me. Easier to discuss stuff though I don't go on many message boards besides here, TMNT-L, and Stealthy Stories.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #13
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,741
The technodrome forums is the best online discussion platform on the planet.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #14
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,450
I only hang out around here out of habit and because of the people I've gotten to know, to be honest. Otherwise I wouldn't be part of any fandoms or communities. Most of them are not the kind of people I wanna hang out with. I'd rather just talk about stuff with my friends and family.

Last edited by Cure; 09-16-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #15
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What on earth is slack? This is the first time I'm hearing this. I swear they come out with these new things every week now.
I have never heard of it either.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,548
I didn't even know what tumblr was till like 2014 when I started lurking it for certain show discussion. Apparently tumblr has been around since 2008 or so?

I honestly never knew what it was.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #17
Wesley
Stone Warrior
 
Wesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 956
I used chat rooms a bit as a teenager (ones in Sega's Dreamarena service, for example), but I wasn't a big fan of them. I preferred message boards and still do. I don't post on Facebook or Twitter much either, though some of the stuff other people such as friends and celebrities post is interesting every now and then.
__________________
Splinter: "Winning is nothing. Doing your best and acting with honour are the only things that matter." (from Wrath of the Rat King)
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #18
newfan
Hench Mutant
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 410
At the moment:

This is the first fan site I've joined, None of the people I know are TMNT fans
I preferred the look of this site over some others.

Twitter I only use to follow shows and celebs, I'm not active on there, just occasional comments or I favourite posts, that's it.

Facebook I use for family and friends.

I may branch out with other fan sites, not sure..or if I start writing but I have to have talent first

So this kind of thing for discussion, it's designed for it.

Last edited by newfan; 09-17-2017 at 04:01 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #19
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I didn't even know what tumblr was till like 2014 when I started lurking it for certain show discussion. Apparently tumblr has been around since 2008 or so?

I honestly never knew what it was.
I think I first heard of tumblr around 2012 or 2013.

it's been around since 2008, really?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #20
DestronMirage22
Mad Scientist
 
DestronMirage22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: MO
Posts: 1,586
I only use forums.
It's easy to discuss stuff on them and they feel more like a real community than other places.
I have no use for places like Facebook or Twitter since I don't have anybody IRL that I'd want to contact on there.
__________________

Spoiler:
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.