The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy
 
DrSpengler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,711
IDW net income down 91% in 2017

Direct IDW statement: "Publishing revenue decreased by ($751,000), principally due to industry cyclical downward pressure driven by market leaders, as well as the timing of significant major brand titles that are expected in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017."

Ouch.

But I'm sure Aubrey Sitterson will turn it all around for them.
__________________
TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!


-Mark Pellegrini
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,140
Maybe I don't pay enough attention Marvel and DC, but what are the significant major brand titles in Q4 this year?

The DC Doomsday Clock and Batman Metal stuff?
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,693
Maybe they're referring to the Nazi Cap thing Marvel was doing.
Most of the people I know who were upset about that don't go in for IDW stuff.

I've got to say though, I spent a couple days over at the IDW FB page, and that...that got wild there for a while.
In a fascinatingly hilarious way.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot just get older and older and angrier and angrier, all the while waiting for the world to bend to their whim, never, ever really being satisfied with any of the "victories" achieved at large and wondering why no one outside of whatever construct bubble they've placed themself [sic] (look, I did it!) in wants to mess with them.
plastroncafe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I've got to say though, I spent a couple days over at the IDW FB page, and that...that got wild there for a while.
In a fascinatingly hilarious way.
You're talking the Kevin, Bobby and Tom live chat? Or this:

"It has come to our attention that a freelance comic book writer, whose work includes IDW titles, has expressed opinions on his personal social media account that many find insensitive, divisive, and inflammatory.
IDW in no way condones or supports these personal opinions whatsoever, and recognizes the pain they may cause our readers.
Discussions regarding next steps are underway. We appreciate the patience and understanding of our many fans while these concerns are being addressed.
Thank you."


?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You're talking the Kevin, Bobby and Tom live chat? Or this:

"It has come to our attention that a freelance comic book writer, whose work includes IDW titles, has expressed opinions on his personal social media account that many find insensitive, divisive, and inflammatory.
IDW in no way condones or supports these personal opinions whatsoever, and recognizes the pain they may cause our readers.
Discussions regarding next steps are underway. We appreciate the patience and understanding of our many fans while these concerns are being addressed.
Thank you."


?
That. I didn't catch the livechat.
I had no idea who Sitterson was until the FB thread Streisanded him for me.
Kind of wish they'd done it sooner, because I wasted like 10 minutes of my life watching some random dude on youtube froth about something that had nothing to do with the current drama.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot just get older and older and angrier and angrier, all the while waiting for the world to bend to their whim, never, ever really being satisfied with any of the "victories" achieved at large and wondering why no one outside of whatever construct bubble they've placed themself [sic] (look, I did it!) in wants to mess with them.
plastroncafe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
That. I didn't catch the livechat.
I had no idea who Sitterson was until the FB thread Streisanded him for me.
Kind of wish they'd done it sooner, because I wasted like 10 minutes of my life watching some random dude on youtube froth about something that had nothing to do with the current drama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You're talking the Kevin, Bobby and Tom live chat? Or this:

"It has come to our attention that a freelance comic book writer, whose work includes IDW titles, has expressed opinions on his personal social media account that many find insensitive, divisive, and inflammatory.
IDW in no way condones or supports these personal opinions whatsoever, and recognizes the pain they may cause our readers.
Discussions regarding next steps are underway. We appreciate the patience and understanding of our many fans while these concerns are being addressed.
Thank you."


?
What was this all about?
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 7,003
Wait...what? 91% loss? I thought it was a booming success!
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
What was this all about?
The guy who pens GI Joe was not delicate about his feeling that there's a lot of insincerity to be found in the Never Forget 9-11 commemoration.

And some readers of GI Joe didn't take a shine to his tone, and so they were trying very hard to call for him to be fired...all the while reassuring everyone they weren't against censorship in any way.

It was...an interesting afternoon.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot just get older and older and angrier and angrier, all the while waiting for the world to bend to their whim, never, ever really being satisfied with any of the "victories" achieved at large and wondering why no one outside of whatever construct bubble they've placed themself [sic] (look, I did it!) in wants to mess with them.
plastroncafe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,379
If you've been checking the IDW TMNT sales thread you would have seen the main ongoing and Universe have been declining in sales every month, even if they're still IDW's best selling comic franchise.

I hope this does not bode ill for the future of IDW TMNT though, we still need to make it to issue 100.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
The guy who pens GI Joe was not delicate about his feeling that there's a lot of insincerity to be found in the Never Forget 9-11 commemoration.

And some readers of GI Joe didn't take a shine to his tone, and so they were trying very hard to call for him to be fired...all the while reassuring everyone they weren't against censorship in any way.

It was...an interesting afternoon.
Huh. I should try to find that guy's comments... sounds interesting. Also kinda sounds like the whole "this football player protests the national anthem rrrraaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhh!" controversy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
If you've been checking the IDW TMNT sales thread you would have seen the main ongoing and Universe have been declining in sales every month, even if they're still IDW's best selling comic franchise.

I hope this does not bode ill for the future of IDW TMNT though, we still need to make it to issue 100.
It's not that IDW TMNT is failing, it's that comics as a whole and across the board (Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, IDW, Image, et al) are on a decline... mostly caused by Marvel and DC, thanks guys.
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #11
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Huh. I should try to find that guy's comments... sounds interesting. Also kinda sounds like the whole "this football player protests the national anthem rrrraaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhh!" controversy...
It's exactly like that.
Though my favorite dude was the one who tried to impress upon me that politics has no place in GI Joe comics.

Personally?
The writer lives in Manhattan, and was there the day of. From where I'm sitting, that gives the guy access to a double-standard of behavior.
But what do I know?
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot just get older and older and angrier and angrier, all the while waiting for the world to bend to their whim, never, ever really being satisfied with any of the "victories" achieved at large and wondering why no one outside of whatever construct bubble they've placed themself [sic] (look, I did it!) in wants to mess with them.
plastroncafe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #12
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,582
Well, at least they've got the Sonic the Hedgehog license to look forward to next year... I hope.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #13
snake
Noided
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,669
The hasbro universe IDW fans basically hate the company. Pretty sure TMNT is the only thing they're doing right.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
The hasbro universe IDW fans basically hate the company. Pretty sure TMNT is the only thing they're doing right.
Well, I know their Ghostbusters output has been tremendous since about 2012. With all the reboots of their ongoing GB title (and the fact that the franchise peaked in popularity around 1989), I can't imagine it's a terrific seller.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #15
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Well, I know their Ghostbusters output has been tremendous since about 2012. With all the reboots of their ongoing GB title (and the fact that the franchise peaked in popularity around 1989), I can't imagine it's a terrific seller.
Which is a shame, because that's one hell of a good book.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot just get older and older and angrier and angrier, all the while waiting for the world to bend to their whim, never, ever really being satisfied with any of the "victories" achieved at large and wondering why no one outside of whatever construct bubble they've placed themself [sic] (look, I did it!) in wants to mess with them.
plastroncafe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,379
According to comichron sales for August, TMNT is still their best seller, and the latest issue only sold 13,449 copies, not counting digital:

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...7/2017-08.html


Their next two best sellers was "First Strike" and "Star Trek."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #17
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Well, at least they've got the Sonic the Hedgehog license to look forward to next year... I hope.
I think Sonic will definitely help IDW in terms of sales.

Its hard grasp how a company does not implode with a downfall like that. I wish the article listed some source for fact checking. I know IDW has mentioned a downturn in the industry, but I didn't think it was this severe.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,379
Bobby said before there is an industry wide downturn happening, and that IDW rejected projects or proposals from well established franchises or writers in the industry because things had gotten so bad.

But yeah, I think Sonic the Hedgehog franchise should help them a lot. The Archie Sonic comic went on for like for 20 years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #19
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy
 
DrSpengler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Well, at least they've got the Sonic the Hedgehog license to look forward to next year... I hope.
I'm sure out of hype and speculator interest alone, their Sonic relaunch will net them a short term profit boost, as most all-new number ones do. But eventually malaise will set in with profits; that's not so much a comment on quality, but just the inevitable reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Well, I know their Ghostbusters output has been tremendous since about 2012. With all the reboots of their ongoing GB title (and the fact that the franchise peaked in popularity around 1989), I can't imagine it's a terrific seller.
Ghostbusters sells pretty low; like TMNT Amazing Adventures numbers. But it IS a consistently good comic, at least when Burnham is on it (the one-shots and spin-offs by other writers haven't been so hot).
__________________
TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!


-Mark Pellegrini
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #20
dl316bh
Hench Mutant
 
dl316bh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It's not that IDW TMNT is failing, it's that comics as a whole and across the board (Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, IDW, Image, et al) are on a decline... mostly caused by Marvel and DC, thanks guys.
I'd say it's mostly Marvel. Being the industry leader sounds nice and all, but when you screw up and tank yourself, you end up hurting the industry at large, because a lot of people who largely deal in those titles stop going. It seems like the constant relaunches and events finally caught up to them and they know it, which is why they're going in hard on the Generations thing and promised no events for at least a year and a half. Probably doesn't help that their last two events were not well received and the most recent was so uncomfortable in the wake of real life that Marvel saw the writing on the wall and rushed through it in, like, three months.

Quote:
But yeah, I think Sonic the Hedgehog franchise should help them a lot. The Archie Sonic comic went on for like for 20 years.
It'll be another decently selling comic once the sales even out, but I don't know about helping "a lot". The Archie title wasn't doing amazing numbers by the end.
__________________
dl316bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.