The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,743
Kevin Micheal Richardson as 80s Shredder

What do you think of his take on the character?

Personally, I thought he is the best 80s Shredder alternate of all time, and that Avery would be proud

I think he captures his personality perfectly, and gives him the humorous edge missing from other alternates such as Townsend Coleman and Bill Martin, while still sounding very similar to original.

My favourite line by him was when he faced Karai:

"I will not fight a girl! Foot, Get Rid of Her! (then to himself), She's a bit too tough."

I couldn't stop laughing when he said that straight up Classic line, probably re-ignited his traumatic memories of Lotus Blossom

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 09-29-2017 at 04:34 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
Wesley
Stone Warrior
 
Wesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 957
I thought he was great with a good acting range. I agree with what FredWolfLeo said. I noticed that he sounded like all the other alternates at different times as well.
__________________
Splinter: "Winning is nothing. Doing your best and acting with honour are the only things that matter." (from Wrath of the Rat King)

Last edited by Wesley; 10-01-2017 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Changed my opinion.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 10,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
What do you think of his take on the character?

Personally, I thought he is the best 80s Shredder alternate of all time, and that Avery would be proud

I think he captures his personality perfectly, and gives him the humorous edge missing from other alternates such as Townsend Coleman and Bill Martin, while still sounding very similar to original.

My favourite line by him was when he faced Karai:

"I will not fight a girl! Foot, Get Rid of Her! (then to himself), She's a bit too tough."

I couldn't stop laughing when he said that, Straight up Classic line, probably re-ignited his traumatic memories of Lotus Blossom
He was pretty spot on with the James Avery Shredder.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,078
He was excellent! He wasn't a spot on Avery impersonation, but he sounded very natural in the role. A few times he sounded exactly like Cummings, I'll have to take note of which lines in particular the next time I watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post

I couldn't stop laughing when he said that straight up Classic line, probably re-ignited his traumatic memories of Lotus Blossom
Haha, I had the same thought.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,743
In the beginning, after coming into the 3D world, he said "I feel so solid" which sounded exactly like Jim Cummings.

I agree he wasn't exactly like Avery, but I think he was able to sound closest to the original because of his humorous mannerisms which flowed pretty smoothly, whereas the other 80s Shredder replacements went for a more serious and intimidating tone that felt off.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 09-29-2017 at 04:51 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,366
He was a fine substitute, I'm just not why they didn't just go with Coleman.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
In the beginning, after coming into the 3D world, he said "I feel so solid" which sounded exactly like Jim Cummings.

I agree he wasn't exactly like Avery, but I think he was able to sound closest to the original because of his humorous mannerisms which flowed pretty smoothly, whereas the other 80s Shredder replacements went for a more serious and intimidating tone that felt off.
Yes, that was definitely one of them.

And agreed on the latter paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
He was a fine substitute, I'm just not why they didn't just go with Coleman.
I always thought Coleman sucked as Shredder. But yeah, it would have been more economical to use him rather than hire KMR for one voice. However, they clearly didn't skimp on the budget, even if it was the final season.

Personally, I'm shocked they didn't get Cummings. He's still quite active. Maybe he was too busy?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
He was a fine substitute, I'm just not why they didn't just go with Coleman.
Probably so that KMR gets one last hoorah on the show. Speaking of him, Im surprised at how many different forms of the Shredder he managed to do:

1. Normal Shredder
2. Oroku Saki
3. Super Shredder
4. Zombie Shredder
5. 80s Shredder
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Probably so that KMR gets one last hoorah on the show. Speaking of him, Im surprised at how many different forms of the Shredder he managed to do:

1. Normal Shredder
2. Oroku Saki
3. Super Shredder
4. Zombie Shredder
5. 80s Shredder
Not to mention his first TMNT role, General Aquila.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #10
Powder
Endless Screw
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 24,753
He was a perfectly fine substitute, but a liiiitle bit stiff for my taste.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,601
He sounded very similar to the alternate Shredder VA's we had in the original toon, so he was fine. A bit deeper than the guy who played him in Turtles Forever too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:43 AM   #12
newfan
Hench Mutant
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 421
I've only seen little of the original show but he sounded the right style to me. I usually recognise his voice in other things but not in this.
I hope they use him again or any future incarnations
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:27 PM   #13
Desslok
Hench Mutant
 
Desslok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 323
I completely agree with FWLeo, most of the other substitutes worked hard to try and imitate Avery's voice but they never fully embraced his personality which I always found to be OT Shredder's most memorable attribute.

Kevin Michael Richardson did an excellent job. Hearing him go at it with Pat Fraley's Krang really took me back.
__________________

Watch Episodes | Latest Updates | More Fun
Desslok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:10 AM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,601
Kevin Michael Richardson is a great VA in general, his work on The Batman as Joker was great too. He sounded sort of similar to Mark Hammil but still his own take.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:10 AM   #15
BH Daimaouji
Thug
 
BH Daimaouji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 56
I watched a pitched version of his voice and suprisly he sounds exacly like him

Can't wait to see how polish 87 Shredder would sound like
__________________
Fanboy of the TMNT since 1990 till 1997/1999

I roleplay as Leonardo

Owned TMNT episode DVDs:

1987

German DVD box 1-3

2012

Polish DVD

Owned TMNT games

Famiclone

Geki Kame ninja den
TMNT2
TMNT TF
BH Daimaouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #16
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
He was a fine substitute, I'm just not why they didn't just go with Coleman.
He wasn't very good although his Krang was worse.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.