The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #21
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I've always been quite fond of this quote, regarding the English Language:
A very nice piece of rhetoric in my opinion.

But shouldn't "purity" then also be arbritary by your own standard?
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #22
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
A very nice piece of rhetoric in my opinion.

But shouldn't "purity" then also be arbritary by your own standard?
It's not my standard.
It's a good quote though. On that we agree.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot just get older and older and angrier and angrier, all the while waiting for the world to bend to their whim, never, ever really being satisfied with any of the "victories" achieved at large and wondering why no one outside of whatever construct bubble they've placed themself [sic] (look, I did it!) in wants to mess with them.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

So how many genders are there now? Somehow nowadays people say there are 10 different genders. I never knew that could be possible unless aliens visited the Earth.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #24
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So how many genders are there now? Somehow nowadays people say there are 10 different genders. I never knew that could be possible unless aliens visited the Earth.
There is a reason why you are the king of these forums
Old 11-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #25
sdp
<<raver>>

Last time I researched it there is an infinite number of genders because gender is a human construct, but last time I did extensive research to not be "ignorant" was a while ago and these things change every other month since there is no established consensus nor hard science to really back it.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
But I mean, all the red-penning of my papers in school and creative writing courses about "they" and "their" instead of "him" or "her"... were all of those teachers just being a**holes?
No, they were being teachers.

Maybe it's the correct and proper way, so of course it's what they (edit: sorry, he or she) are going to teach, but there is still, and always will be, a difference between what is "proper" for a language and the casual use of it in day to day life in a culture for most people other than linguaphiles, logophiles, and your general grammar Nazi.

If you think this is bad, at my old job I'd once heard a teen girl SAY "brb" to her friend before heading into the fitting room. Now that one I'd glad hasn't really seemed to catch on. lol

I don't think it's entirely impossible that English will one day, long from now, become an entirely different language by evolving into just a bunch of acronyms... That people will forget are acronyms. (Eventually brb will be spoken as "berb," still meaning that you'll be right back, and slowly language will devolve into what sounds more like that of cave people.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-14-2017 at 02:27 PM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #27
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's times like these I'm glad I grew up in the 80's and 90's. Back then we were never taught this stuff, I can't imagine what the millennials of today are going through.
You're a millennial of today.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #28
Prowler
Santa Maria Ozawa

Lucky for "SJWs" that English is mostly a gender neutral language. Romance languages would make them flip their ****, especially Portuguese which doesn't have a neutral gender. So whenever we're not sure of the gender of smth, it's male by default. And also, a group of people consisting of men and women... is also male. I wonder how they tackle that issue...

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #29
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Lucky for "SJWs" that English is mostly a gender neutral language. Romance languages would make them flip their ****, especially Portuguese which doesn't have a neutral gender. So whenever we're not sure of the gender of smth, it's male by default. And also, a group of people consisting of men and women... is also male. I wonder how they tackle that issue...
In my native language, even inanimate objects have genders.

Wardrobes, the floor, clothes and walls are female while doors, houses, rocks and smoke is male.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #30
plastroncafe

I've seen Latinx used in place of Latino in many places.
Lest you think that this phenomenon is something particular to only English.

During my undergraduate we learned about noun cases in Linguistic Anthropology. My favorite was used as a title for a book by Lakoff called: Women, Fire, and Other Dangerous Things.
Quote:
A lot just get older and older and angrier and angrier, all the while waiting for the world to bend to their whim, never, ever really being satisfied with any of the "victories" achieved at large and wondering why no one outside of whatever construct bubble they've placed themself [sic] (look, I did it!) in wants to mess with them.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #31
Prowler
Santa Maria Ozawa

Quote:
In my native language, even inanimate objects have genders.

Wardrobes, the floor, clothes and walls are female while doors, houses, rocks and smoke is male.
Well, same here. Tbh, English is the only language I've studied so far that doesn't give genders to everything.

I've seen better.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:36 PM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I've seen Latinx used in place of Latino in many places.
Yeah? Probably not in any latin countries.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #33
Prowler
Santa Maria Ozawa

Quote:
Yeah? Probably not in any latin countries.
Yeah, this whole thing that people call "SJWs" isn't really a big thing outside some countries. It's mostly an American and Canadian thing. If you go up to a Dutch or an Italian guy and tell him people have been arguing about including more black or Asian characters in certain tv shows they'll think you're joking. Like seriously, almost no one takes people arguing for more black people in Lord of the Ringers or The Witcher games seriously, guys.

I've seen better.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #34
plastroncafe

I think you both would be surprised.
Quote:
Old 11-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #35
Prowler
Santa Maria Ozawa

Quote:
I think you both would be surprised.
Ofc ideas spread. Not saying it's impossible for you to meet likeminded people where I live if you go out there and look for them, but it's not as big here as it is where you live, I bet.

I mostly see Americans and Canadians arguing about this stuff online. Sometimes Australians as well. Rarely do I see Europeans arguing about this. Talk to a European about "White privilege" and most will think you're crazy, self-hating or just plainly won't understand and see it as an American phenomenon.

I've seen better.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #36
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy

People in my country prefer lighter skinned people, especially females, for almost everything from roles in tv shows to marriage.

Its not because darker skinned people are seen as lesser sub humans, but because there is no concept of giving everyone equal representation as people usually just go for their preferences, even if it ends up looking like what we call privelige here in the West.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #37
Prowler
Santa Maria Ozawa

Quote:
People in my country prefer lighter skinned people, especially females, for almost everything from roles in tv shows to marriage.

Its not because darker skinned people are seen as lesser sub humans, but because there is no concept of giving everyone equal representation as people usually just go for their preferences.
Isn't that because in Asia there's still that concept in people's minds that darker skin = lower class aka people who work in the fields? Going to the beach to get tanned wasn't also always a big thing in Europe either. In the late 19th century/early 20th century, people of the upper classes avoided getting tanned in order to avoid people assuming they're farmers/peasants. Seems ridiculous nowadays, but that's how it was. Ofc back then skin cancer was probably rarer...

I've seen better.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #38
FredWolfLeonardo
FW Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Isn't that because in Asia there's still that concept in people's minds that darker skin = lower class aka people who work in the fields? Going to the beach to get tanned wasn't also always a big thing in Europe either. In the late 19th century/early 20th century, people of the upper classes avoided getting tanned in order to avoid people assuming they're farmers/peasants. Seems ridiculous nowadays, but that's how it was. Ofc back then skin cancer was probably rarer...
Of course I was fortunate to come from a class in society where darker skinned people were not seen as Not human despite not being preferred, but I imagine some people might see them as lesser human.

Its kind of like the case of many Obese people here in the west. Being Obese doesn't make you any less of a human, but its less desirable for employers hiring, people looking for a date etc.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"ORALE wey, amigos! Tell us your preferred gender pronoun!"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #40
Prowler
Santa Maria Ozawa

Quote:
Of course I was fortunate to come from a class in society where darker skinned people were not seen as Not human despite not being preferred, but I imagine some people might see them as lesser human.

Its kind of like the case of many Obese people here in the west. Being Obese doesn't make you any less of a human, but its less desirable for employers hiring, people looking for a date etc.
In some places in Africa being fat is actually seen as a sign of wealth still, I believe. Meaning... well that you're not exactly starving to death.

I've seen better.

Tags
fredwolfleo=tagabuser