The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #21
pferreira
Mad Scientist

I'm pretty certain if the 80s cartoon failed that Eastman and Laird would have gone back to the comics. We would have got some dark, gritty revival in the mid-90s and maybe a gritty live action movie in the late 90s starring Wesley Snipes and John Leguizamo that would have flopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
During the upcoming years, I guess.

*No Biker Mice from Mars
*No (western) Power Rangers
*No Extreme Dinosaurs
*No Street Sharks
*Maybe no 1990's Batman?
No Squat Kats
No Samurai Pizza Kats
No Bucky O'Hare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Do you really belive we would get western Power Rangers? It felt they tried to ride the TMNT wave of successes.
Nah I do feel Power Rangers was a separate thing. It had more in common with Captain Planet which was a massive success at the time.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #22
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

Bucky O'Hare

Bucky O'Hare debuted as a comic in May 1984 (the same time as TMNT), so maybe we would get animated Bucky O'Hare. Maybe som years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucky_O%27Hare
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #23
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The comics were never popular to the point of getting a movie. If they were popular then more than 1% of the world's population would know of them, certainly... Hell, I don't think even 1% of the world's population has heard of the Mirage comics, let alone read them.
They were popular to the point of getting a cartoon/toy deal in the first place. The idea that the Mirage comics were some kind of failure is a myth that hardcore FW fans like to perpetuate, but it really doesn't make sense. Yes, it was mainly the cartoon (and the movie, video games, etc.) that made TMNT a huge mainstream worldwide phenomenon, but that only happened because Mirage TMNT was already a hit with comic fans (which is a smaller audience but much more than 1% of the worlds population), and that attracted Playmates attention.

Whether or not the movie deal was related to the toy/toon deal, it started development at around the same time the cartoon did, so unless the cartoon flopping would have cancelled the movie in mid production the movie would still probably have come out.

Though, it probably would not have been as successful without every kid in the world wanting to see it.

Also, it's a fact that they got movie offers before the cartoon's success, but they were mostly stupid ones like the idea where they were played by famous comedians and fighting naked nuns. So, it might have been the cartoon that attracted a good movie deal. But, I remember reading that the movie deal that led to the movie we got coming at around the same time as the cartoon/toy deal, not sure if they were directly related.

As for other shows...

Bucky O'Hare comics would have happened, but I'm not sure about the show.

Swat Kats, I'm not sure. They don't seem too TMNT inspired to me.

TMNT was a big part of a big wave of anthropomorphic animal heroes at the time, but I'm not sure they were the source of that wave.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #24
Emperor

I can imagine if TMNT failed by 1989, series like this would become a bigger success.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ne...ures_of_He-Man
Because the crossovers doing nothing else than messing up the timeline and other stuff of the 1987-1996 series, I've given up writing fanfiction about it. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the TMNT as many other fanfiction writers do:

Old 12-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #25
sdp
<<raver>>

Saban had been pitching Power Rangers for years and would've continued until he succeeded, partly what helped Power Rangers be picked up is that that year's Sentai Team had dinosaurs and it was thought it'd be good for American audiences and boom history was made.

TMNT had little influence on TMNT outside the name, "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" sounds influenced by the overly long name Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" had, but I don't think the "martial arts" craze the TMNT started had much of an influence on Power Rangers, a little bit sure but yeah Power Rangers made it on their own and the reason they took TMNT's popularity is because they were doing their own original thing while other shows mentioned here were only copying TMNT.
Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM   #26
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Saban had been pitching Power Rangers for years and would've continued until he succeeded, partly what helped Power Rangers be picked up is that that year's Sentai Team had dinosaurs and it was thought it'd be good for American audiences and boom history was made.

TMNT had little influence on TMNT outside the name, "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" sounds influenced by the overly long name Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" had, but I don't think the "martial arts" craze the TMNT started had much of an influence on Power Rangers, a little bit sure but yeah Power Rangers made it on their own and the reason they took TMNT's popularity is because they were doing their own original thing while other shows mentioned here were only copying TMNT.
So, did Karate Kid inspired for fiction based on Japanese martial arts?