The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 2,892
Mutant Apocalypse: Alternate timeline?

Recently, I've been reading reviews/descriptions of the latest Nick tmnt episodes, and what stands out to me about the Mutant Apocalypse is that it is always described as an "alternate future" or "alternate timeline".

Is there any confirmation about this from the writers of the show? I always saw the Mutant Apocalypse as canon, and see no reason to exclude it from the rest of the series, so I find this term for describing it as confusing/puzzling.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question. Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue. Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
newfan
Mad Scientist
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 1,287
awh Fredwolf, oh no you didn't...
Meant to be canon I believe by the writers, alternate universe to those who see it that way due to various 'things not adding up' and also Nick call it a 'tale' (not canon) That is why you have found some confusion. I'm stepping away now LOL

Last edited by newfan; 12-22-2017 at 03:04 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
Tarris Vaal
Hench Mutant
 
Tarris Vaal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Cullompton, Devon
Posts: 493
Yeah this does seem to be a bit of a can of worms.

Its one of those pecularities I think. Possibly a disparity between the staff at Nick studios and the writers for Nick TMNT.

Essentially, it was written to be intended as a canon finale for the Nick TMNT. However, that original intention seems to have waned a bit - with most of the subsequent marketing describing it as 'alternate'.

The honest answer is *shrug*

As Newfan noted, its a bit of a sore topic for many fans it seems. Some see it as being the intended conclusion - others find it such a strange way to end the series that its simply easier to think of it as non canon and an 'alternate future'.


Take it as you will I guess.
__________________
Help animate the Sedisverse - Kickstarter at;

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-sedisverse
Tarris Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 33,934
It's canon. It's the intended future. Maybe if the Nick show is revisited in a movie a few years from now, they can do a crazy time travel adventure with Renet and Fugitoid to go back in time and stop the mutagen bomb from going off....but if that never happens than this is it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
Powder
Endless Screw
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 25,446
It's canon. Period. Some fans are just butthurt & spinning a theory to spare themselves the babyrage.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 13,405
It's not an alternate future until it's been altered, this was it. It even ends on a hopeful open ended conclusion, so the butthurtness of some is a bit eye rolling.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
sdp
<<-Virtual Dino Raver->>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Megalopolis
Posts: 6,705
Someone who worked on the show said it can be seen as either while word of god has said yes.

Then again, Nick owns the show so whatever Nick may say is the true canon, as far as we know until Nick says otherwise it's meant to be canon since it aired and there were no indicators that it was an alternate timeline or anything of the like. People who say it shouldn't is because they don't want it to be but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Bitter sweet.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior
 
DevilSpooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Portugal
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Recently, I've been reading reviews/descriptions of the latest Nick tmnt episodes, and what stands out to me about the Mutant Apocalypse is that it is always described as an "alternate future" or "alternate timeline".

Is there any confirmation about this from the writers of the show? I always saw the Mutant Apocalypse as canon, and see no reason to exclude it from the rest of the series, so I find this term for describing it as confusing/puzzling.
It's up to you really, the creator of the show says it's the end of this show and it's canon, Nick is too yellow to have it end in such a dark and sad note and says it's just a possible future for the boys going to great lenghts to make it seem so by changing the airing order so little kids can have a happy ending with the crossover instead.

In other words is Word of God against Word of a couple of suits that only care about money and ratings.
__________________
Life at best is bittersweet
DevilSpooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #9
sdp
<<-Virtual Dino Raver->>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Megalopolis
Posts: 6,705
Word of God always loses to whoever owns the story, creators come and go but franchises continue, so whatever Nick decides would be the real deal. Now, Nick hasn't said anything so it's basically them giving their blessing on whatever word of god said, if it somehow changed then yeah, but it hasn't so far.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 2,892
Why is there so much talk about "The Word of God"?

It has nothing to do with this topic.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question. Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue. Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #11
matteso586
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 591
Mutant Apocalypse being an alternate timeline? That's what Nickelodeon and some of the staff said.
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #12
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 13,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Why is there so much talk about "The Word of God"?

It has nothing to do with this topic.
"Word of god" refers to the show creators and writers, very much to do with the topic.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #13
victory_angel
Foot Elite
 
victory_angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,866
In one of the news articles about season five they discribed one of the arcs as a “Possible Future” for the TMNT. The event takes place quite a few years into the future when the Turtles are well into their adulthood while the Turtles when they complete the Usagi arc are about 19 years nearly 20 years old.

So it largly depends on how you view it personally. If this is how you believe their future happened, then this is their future. However if you don’t like this future, then this future never happened and you can come to your own conclusion as to what happened to the awesome foursome.
__________________
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #14
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 11,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
In one of the news articles about season five they discribed one of the arcs as a “Possible Future” for the TMNT. The event takes place quite a few years into the future when the Turtles are well into their adulthood while the Turtles when they complete the Usagi arc are about 19 years nearly 20 years old.

So it largly depends on how you view it personally. If this is how you believe their future happened, then this is their future. However if you don’t like this future, then this future never happened and you can come to your own conclusion as to what happened to the awesome foursome.
That future will happen no matter what, I remember in the Archie Series comic, Future Raph warned his younger self about losing Ninjara, but he still ended up losing her either way, so I guess there future was still gonna become the one in that story arc.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #15
Cyndaquilfan123
Thug
 
Cyndaquilfan123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Roseville CA
Posts: 96
It’s really up to interpretation. There’s evidence for, and against it being canon.
Cyndaquilfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #16
sdp
<<-Virtual Dino Raver->>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Megalopolis
Posts: 6,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
That future will happen no matter what, I remember in the Archie Series comic, Future Raph warned his younger self about losing Ninjara, but he still ended up losing her either way, so I guess there future was still gonna become the one in that story arc.
No, that is different, in that one we see them travel to this future. They in the past however can do things to change it, sure the Ninjara thing happened but we don't know if it would play out exactly.

In the Nick show they didn't travel to this future, as far as we know it IS the future whether we like it or not.

For me personally I don't like it being the future even though it's my favorite episode(s) of the series but it's still technically their future.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:58 AM   #17
newfan
Mad Scientist
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 1,287
I made no secret that the finale hurt me but I know that it is how the writers wanted to end it and that they did not intend it an AU.

Edit: That being said, People are free to choose their canon given the situation, it's the opinion pushing that I grew tired of.

Last edited by newfan; 12-23-2017 at 03:42 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:05 AM   #18
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist
 
LeotheLateBloomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,703
It is definitely a better finale than "The Big Blowout". Some just want TMNT to end on happy fun times. Apparently Nick does.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:57 AM   #19
newfan
Mad Scientist
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 1,287
I imagine Nicks reason is that this is kids show, they may have considered that young children probably don't want the last they see of their hero's to be them looking like that, instead remember them as they've known them.

As for your point about the Big Blow out, yeah.. I felt that was a triumph for Bebop and Rocksteady rather than the turtles. If the order was going to be changed to finish up with something more triumphant with everyone in it I think the first arc would have been better... but this was a last minute decision I think?

Last edited by newfan; 12-23-2017 at 05:19 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:18 AM   #20
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,982
It was a Matrix style trick by Baxter Stockman to get revenge for his restoration. He got pissed when it didn't work, brought them out of it, they kicked his ass and resumed business as usual.

... What? It's not less plausible than anything that actually happens in the show. Did you think they made a million illusion/hallucination episodes just because?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.