The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Gaijin's Goomba's "Are TMNT real Ninjas' video

For those who don't know Gaijin Goomba is a content creator who searches for hidden cultural meanings in shows, characters, and games. While most of the culture he finds and talks about tends to be Japanese(hence the name Gaijin Goomba) he also go through and look at other cultures such as Native American, India, African Etc. So in this video he searching how authentic the turtles are at ninja.

Last edited by PApagreg; 03-01-2018 at 05:57 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Peter Laird/Eastman based TMNT in the early 80's on Bruce Lee kung fu movies which were popular in the 70's. Since TMNT was created in 1984 this was the "pre-anime" phase so they probably didn't know much about ninja's based on whatever they read on the library (remember there was also no internet in 1984!)

It's kind of funny. Had TMNT been created two decades later, it'd probably be influenced by anime. But TMNT was created by guys whose childhood is in the 60's and 70's, long before anime became a thing in the west. And when the inspiration of Asian stuff was Bruce Lee kung fu films.

Just imagine if Laird/Eastman would be anime weeabo's if they were born in a different generation.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The FW got a lot of flack in the video, rightfully so, but they still have the superior yo-nin skills with their trenchcoats and creepy human masks.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:19 AM   #4
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Peter Laird/Eastman based TMNT in the early 80's on Bruce Lee kung fu movies which were popular in the 70's. Since TMNT was created in 1984 this was the "pre-anime" phase so they probably didn't know much about ninja's based on whatever they read on the library (remember there was also no internet in 1984!)

It's kind of funny. Had TMNT been created two decades later, it'd probably be influenced by anime. But TMNT was created by guys whose childhood is in the 60's and 70's, long before anime became a thing in the west. And when the inspiration of Asian stuff was Bruce Lee kung fu films.

Just imagine if Laird/Eastman would be anime weeabo's if they were born in a different generation.
This may have been the case at the time of their creation, but later versions seems to include more Japanese references. I haven't watched the video yet, but I do know one thing that practically all iterations have gotten wrong...the food thing. The diet that the turtles have wouldn't work for "real ninja". They wouldn't eat certain foods because of smell and wanting to have as much of a neutral scent as possible...then again, turtles don't sweat...so...who knows...

Last edited by ssjup81; 03-03-2018 at 05:25 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Turtles are also cold- blooded, so a high carb diet might help them retain heat better, as they burn the calories during practice.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:04 AM   #6
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Yes, I have to agree the 2012 are the closest to real ninja in terms of moves, weapons, use of ninja terms and culture.

FINALLY! Someone gives an ACTUAL reason why the red masks are practical, not just 'ohhhh they are a ninja clan so they all must wear the same colors! ' But the multiplication trick would only be used for specific missions, meaning the all-one color mask trick would be useful for certain missions.

mirage may be the most violent and mature story line, but they are more Hollywood ninja than other versions. And this again goes back to my point that the whole 'ninjas are heartless vengeance-seeking killers' stuff that gets brought up over and over again is B.S.. Ninjas are highly skilled mercenary commandos of a bygone era; nothing more, nothing less.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
pferreira
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
The FW got a lot of flack in the video, rightfully so, but they still have the superior yo-nin skills with their trenchcoats and creepy human masks.
The mindset I have with the FW series is that it's fun to see them fail sometimes at being proper ninjas. It shows their weakness and room for their improvement as characters, makes them more real.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
The mindset I have with the FW series is that it's fun to see them fail sometimes at being proper ninjas. It shows their weakness and room for their improvement as characters, makes them more real.
Same could be said about other iterations, they make mistakes and learn.

Anyways, I did watch the video and enjoyed it for showing how many real life techniques have been used in tmnt. My favourite is in the live action movie when Donatello hides on the ceiling where no one would look.
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question. Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue. Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 03-08-2018 at 03:52 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
Coola Yagami
Emperor

Did they mention the 2 toes referencing ninja attire? I always found that to be a clever ninja nod.

Check out my blog on random stuff from TMNT to Batman comics to whatever else hits my mind.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #10
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

it's not mentioned, but tabi are just normal traditional socks and not a ninja specific thing.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote