The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-15-2004, 11:19 PM   #1
Reznorite420
Banned

Classic Episode Discussion: Splinter No More

I know I'm a bit late getting this thread up and running, but college can be a b*tch, ya'know.

This time I'll be a good boy and not steal someone else's sound clip...it's real hard to cap any sounds without my SBLive!, ya'dig?

OK, so...what did you think about seeing Splinter talk in his human form? I for one don't think Peter Renday's voice fits very well with the Hamato Yoshi form, personally. But, that's just me.

I find this episode to be extra special since it was literally the very first episode I ever watched even parts of. I watched it the morning it originally aired, as a matter of fact, one cold and wintery day in 1988. I was living in Del Rio, TX at the time, and it was just before my dad retired from the Air Force.

Sadly, I stopped watching once it got to the point where the turtles woke up after having the bookshelves fall on them because I...*GASP*...actually lost interest! Hey, it WAS the first ep I'd seen after all...it had to grow on me a bit

Discuss away.
Reznorite420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:32 AM   #2
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

(Stickied it for ya, Rez )

LOVE this episode. it was one of my favorites of the classic series.
I need to see it again, and soon.

As for his voice as human, I agree it suited the Rat form much better than the human form.

The Technodrome's original trap
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:30 AM   #3
Taloniss
Mad Scientist

This episode was great! The Turtles worrying about their "Dad" coming home was great plot line, and Splinter finally got to enjoy a stroll in the park.
Taloniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:20 AM   #4
Reznorite420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taloniss
Splinter finally got to enjoy a stroll in the park.
Not to mention he got mugged in the process

One other thing I found kinda odd even though the show hadn't become nearly as goofy as it did by season 4 was the fact that the alien creature was left to die in the crumbling ruins...that and the turtles actually cut off its appendeges with their weapons. Part of me is now thinking no wonder so many parents were complaining about the show...not to say I agree with them, that is.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
MW8979
Hench Mutant

What was it now? Dimension Stop? Judging by that episode, there's probably a dimension for every letter and word in the english language. I have to admit though, the monster that came through the portal didn't look all that friendly, especially for a children's show.
MW8979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 03:30 PM   #6
Reznorite420
Banned

Well, like I said, it wasn't quite season 4 just yet

And yes, it went like this:

Shredder: "...Dimension--"
Splinter: "STOP!"

Another thing I found confusing; wouldn't there have to be a infinite number for incantations since the name of a dimension would have to rhyme with a word from the previous line? Also, if there was a specific language to the rhyme:

1) How could a translation into English have any effect?

2) How on Earth did the English translation rhyme as well as the cultist language?

Maybe I should stop picking at the realism, being that it's a cartoon and all
Old 02-16-2004, 04:11 PM   #7
Kali
Inactive Moderator

LOL! I started writing a piece on the do's and don't's of spell casting and how this incantation would and would not work, but I realized how irrelevant that would have been.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:50 PM   #8
Jephael
That whack job behind you

It's just a kids' cartoon show for pete's sake! It isn't supposed to make sense or be taken seriously!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/Jephael
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jephael
Twitter: https://twitter.com/JeOughton
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:57 PM   #9
MW8979
Hench Mutant

Despite that the old show was childish most of the time, that particular segment could have been done differently in more serious circumstances. To put a more "realistic" spin on that situation, Shredder would probably be chanting in whatever language that book was and Splinter would interrupt his speech by arriving, causing the wrong spell to be cast. That would be a more plausible scenario, but I'm afraid I already surpassed the intended complexity of that episode.
MW8979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:26 PM   #10
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Splinter No More is actually the first episode I ever saw, too. I watched it on it's first airing too, back in 1988. I guess I liked it, cuz the next week I started taping them already...hehe
I liked this episode alot actually...I can quote lots of parts from it. I liked the wacky machine Shredder set out for the Turtles to see each other as enemies (what was that machine called?).. and you know this is really early in the series because Shredder actually FORGETS that the Turtles live in the sewers! And that's something even Bebop and Rocksteady remembered...or at least Bebop.
Splinter looked kinda wacky as a half-human, half-rat. All in all, this is a good classic episode.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:14 AM   #11
Coola Yagami
Emperor

I liked the fact that the tmnt were worried that Splinter might preffer living with humans now and leave them. That was a bit of a serious undertone there. I mean.. what if he did leave them to persue a more normal life?
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:39 AM   #12
Reznorite420
Banned

I doubt a ninja master from the Far East would have any luck fitting in with a typical western culture...
Old 02-17-2004, 02:56 PM   #13
Deathknight
Mad Scientist

you forgot New York's Shiniest Rez.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #14
Reznorite420
Banned

No, I didn't...
Old 02-17-2004, 09:32 PM   #15
Deathknight
Mad Scientist

Weird, my Splinter no More is numbered 15.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:16 AM   #16
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

That is kind of weird..because I remember the very first episode I saw was Splinter No More, and the next week was Teenagers from Dimension X, which was the first episode I taped. Maybe production order was different than aired order...
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:48 AM   #17
Reznorite420
Banned

Well, both the Offcial site listing and the improved listing posted here on the TD site show Splinter No More before New York's Shiniest.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:16 AM   #18
Keroscene
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznorite420
I doubt a ninja master from the Far East would have any luck fitting in with a typical western culture...
Nah, I got that clue when he started wandering around New York in his manky old dressing gown/kimono thing and wanted a ride off a taxi driver even though he had no money.

If Splinter HADN'T returned home, it most probably would have been because he'd forgotten where he lived.
Keroscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:38 AM   #19
Deathknight
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznorite420
Well, both the Offcial site listing and the improved listing posted here on the TD site show Splinter No More before New York's Shiniest.
Probably explains why my Splinter No More got corrupt all that time ago before I had a vhs set and had to rely on divx.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:20 PM   #20
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Would master yoshihave left the turtles....to persue a new life??? i don't think so....he'd just move in with april and the turtles could call or write....sniff sniff....and even have slumber parties
That would be so nice.....
Hey do u think that a good end to the series...old that is....would have been for splinter to become yoshi once more....just a thought at the end....u know???
Jester

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
episode discussion, fred wolf series