The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   General discussion / Latest purchases / Currently Playing? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=21346)

Leo656 04-28-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icebot (Post 1890585)
I’m just playing it on a regular Nintendo 64.

Attaboy. :tcool:

IMJ 04-28-2021 05:19 PM

Quote:

I’m just playing it on a regular Nintendo 64. I’m not really too familiar with emulations, I’d like to try them and play ZOOTR someday.

I’m on the Water Temple.

That's cool.

I don't know what kind of TV you are using, but I can tell you that I bought a Pound Cable for my PS2 to run directly to an HD Sony Bravia, and that cable is amazing.

If you are running your N64 on an HD TV and don't have any upscaling I would 100% from experience recommend a Pound Cable for the N64. Honestly it's the best 30 bucks you could spend on retro gaming....

Prowler 05-02-2021 05:58 PM

Beat Resident Evil REmake. Beat it with Jill the other day, and beat it with Chris earlier today. Jill'd playthrough took me about 18 hours while Chris took me about 9 hours. The game is much faster on your 2nd playthrough since you know where to go next and what's lying ahead of you.

Really great game. I haven't played the original 1996 RE, but I can see why this is considered one of the greatest videogame remakes of all time.

I'd love to play the RE2 and RE3 remakes someday too, but sadly they're not available for the Switch.

Leo656 05-02-2021 06:02 PM

It is my great shame that I've never finished a Resident Evil game. I played RE:0 once and got about halfway through it but then I got stuck on something.

I keep promising myself that I'll actually play that series properly one day. I have most of them, so that's me mentally making a commitment.

Prowler 05-02-2021 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1891088)
It is my great shame that I've never finished a Resident Evil game. I played RE:0 once and got about halfway through it but then I got stuck on something.

I keep promising myself that I'll actually play that series properly one day. I have most of them, so that's me mentally making a commitment.

I had never played a RE game until recently. It took me 30 years but I finally did it!

I'd love to play RE2 and RE3 next... but those are literally the only two games of the series alongside the latest RE7 that aren't available for the Switch!

Even if Capcom doesn't feel like porting the remakes to the Switch for "bet switch can't handle them!" issues, they could at least port the GameCube versions of the games or something. I mean, surely that's what they did with RE4? After all, RE4's remake hasn't been made yet. And I bet that one isn't gonna make it to the Switch either.

RE0, RE1 REmake, the two Revelations games, RE4, RE5 and RE6 are all on the Switch... but RE2 and RE3 aren't. Major bummer.

Leo656 05-02-2021 06:50 PM

I have most of the GameCube RE games. I wish that f*cking Code: Veronica wasn't like a hundred goddamn dollars.

Prowler 05-02-2021 07:02 PM

Damn, I guess it didn't sell as many copies and therefore it became rare?

Anyway, the RE games I've always heard the most about when I was a teenager were RE3 and RE4. 3 due to the debut of Jill's iconic outfit, and 4 was considered the peak of the series by many at the time it came out. Although, apparently it was the turning point of the series going from being a survival horror to a straight up action shooter. Seems like RE5 and 6 weren't as well received as the classic games.

I'd rather play 2 and 3 before playing 4. But it seems like it will take quite a while before I'm able to do so.

Leo656 05-02-2021 07:08 PM

Even non-rare Gamecube games skyrocketed in price over the last two years or so. Every GameStop used to have stacks of copies of Shadow the Hedgehog for like four bucks; now it goes for up to $50. Wild. That's what it cost brand-new!

I'm not looking to "lay blame", but I can't help but notice that now that there's 8 million YouTube channels dedicated to retro gaming, everything has gotten super-expensive. Like if you did a line graph you'd absolutely see a correlation, there.

frank_one 05-02-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

I’m on the Water Temple.

Ha, the frightening Water Temple. Actually it is not that hard if you keep track of what you are doing. Ocarina is such a masterpiece, there was nothing like that in that era.

Leo656 05-02-2021 07:13 PM

I played (and beat) Zelda II: The Adventure of Link more than most people ever bothered to, so when I was playing Ocarina of Time and got to the fight with Dark Link or Shadow Link or whatever the f*ck his name is, I gotta admit that I marked out like a motherf*cker. That was awesome.

Prowler 05-02-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_one (Post 1891115)
Ha, the frightening Water Temple. Actually it is not that hard if you keep track of what you are doing. Ocarina is such a masterpiece, there was nothing like that in that era.

The Water Temple is much smoother in the 3DS remake of Ocarina. You can just assign the iron boots as an item and thus no longer have to constantly pause the game to switch boots. Lord Jabu Jabu still sucks on the 3DS version, though.

Plus, the Wtaer Temple has the best miniboss in the game. And it's a visually appealing dungeon with a nice theme. Jabu Jabu is ugly as hell.

frank_one 05-02-2021 07:28 PM

Right, having to switch boots constantly was annoying, something that modern gamers can find even more difficult to tollerate. Morpha was a very good boss.

Prowler 05-02-2021 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1891116)
I played (and beat) Zelda II: The Adventure of Link more than most people ever bothered to, so when I was playing Ocarina of Time and got to the fight with Dark Link or Shadow Link or whatever the f*ck his name is, I gotta admit that I marked out like a motherf*cker. That was awesome.

I haven't beaten either NES Zelda game. And tbh, o have never gotten too far in Zelda II. It's alright, but not a game I feel motivated or compelled to beat.

Leo656 05-02-2021 07:43 PM

I don't even attempt to play Zelda games without a guide. I got a f*cking life, man. :lol:

But yeah, Zelda II probably isn't very much fun without a book. Thankfully as a kid I had a ton of NES guide books and kept all of them. One of them has an incredibly detailed walkthrough for Zelda II that I still use whenever I do play it.

IMJ 05-02-2021 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1891121)
I haven't beaten either NES Zelda game. And tbh, o have never gotten too far in Zelda II. It's alright, but not a game I feel motivated or compelled to beat.

I beat the original Zelda as a kid. Funny story about that - apparently the magic sword allowed you to attack "flames" and wipe them out. I didn't know that at the time and only found out decades later from a YouTube video.

So after you beat Ganon (Ganon, right?) you are faced with a room where Zelda is in the center surrounded by a wall around her and two flame icons in the front. I guess you were supposed to hit them with your sword.
LMAO, instead I just walked up to them, took the hit and pushed "through" them in those nanoseconds of invincibility that you are given after a hit. It took me two or three pushes, but the game let me do it.

In hindsight, how funny would it have been to get all the way through that last fight, win and then die walking through fire because I had no idea that the magic sword could extinguish the flames? HAHAHAHHA but it worked, saving me from a horrific childhood experience of frustration and self-contempt. LMAO!

Prowler 05-02-2021 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1891125)
I don't even attempt to play Zelda games without a guide. I got a f*cking life, man. :lol:

But yeah, Zelda II probably isn't very much fun without a book. Thankfully as a kid I had a ton of NES guide books and kept all of them. One of them has an incredibly detailed walkthrough for Zelda II that I still use whenever I do play it.

I mean, the NES Zelda games are notorious for being a little too cryptic at times. There's things in the original game that you'd never be able to guess or you'd have to discover out of sheer luck. And that's not just a Zelda exclusive problem. Castlevania 2 Simons Quest is also notorious for being a little too cryptic at times.

But Zelda games beyond a Link to the Past? Their puzzles aren't usually complicated. And the key items are generally easy to find as well. It's finding all the heart pieces and other bonus stuff that's more challenging but I rarely bother with that.

Leo656 05-02-2021 08:05 PM

Yeah but I do. :lol: I always try and 100% any Zelda game I play, just a compulsion I suppose. And yeah it's definitely more about getting all the Heart pieces than anything.

And yeah, I remember renting the first Zelda game when I was like, 6, and I managed to somehow get like half the Triforce but I really didn't know what I was doing. Like I didn't know you could burn bushes to find doors and stuff so eventually I got stuck. Then years and years later someone smartened me up and I was like "...Oh. Well, that explains that, then." :lol:

That was around the time that rental shops stopped including the manual with the games you'd rent, otherwise I probably could've figured more stuff out. Imagine playing that game, specifically, with NO manual or instructions or anything but what the game itself tells you? I'm amazed I got as far as I did. Not only did that game's manual include a partial map, but it was also full of essential tips and hints, it was pretty much mandatory if you wanted to have any idea what you were doing. I still had fun playing it but I was totally just aimlessly wandering around swinging my sword and throwing bombs everywhere, that's about it. :lol:

Prowler 05-02-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMJ (Post 1891127)
I beat the original Zelda as a kid. Funny story about that - apparently the magic sword allowed you to attack "flames" and wipe them out. I didn't know that at the time and only found out decades later from a YouTube video.

So after you beat Ganon (Ganon, right?) you are faced with a room where Zelda is in the center surrounded by a wall around her and two flame icons in the front. I guess you were supposed to hit them with your sword.
LMAO, instead I just walked up to them, took the hit and pushed "through" them in those nanoseconds of invincibility that you are given after a hit. It took me two or three pushes, but the game let me do it.

In hindsight, how funny would it have been to get all the way through that last fight, win and then die walking through fire because I had no idea that the magic sword could extinguish the flames? HAHAHAHHA but it worked, saving me from a horrific childhood experience of frustration and self-contempt. LMAO!

I watched my brother beat the game when I was a kid. He was in HS at the time. No idea if he had beaten it before or not, though. But he told me he used to draw a map of the game in his school notebook when he was a kid.

IMJ 05-02-2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1891135)
I watched my brother beat the game when I was a kid. He was in HS at the time. No idea if he had beaten it before or not, though. But he told me he used to draw a map of the game in his school notebook when he was a kid.

Oh ya. I believe it. It was all the talk for our generation plus or minus. I think I was in 5th grade, maybe? The big thing to say about it was how you could walk through the waterfall and that there was a hidden cave there. "Dude did you walk through the waterfall into the cave in the back? Can you believe they did that?"

As for the Zelda 2 discussion - oh man. I was not a fan of that game. And then I went through this very strange and sudden phase were after owning it for like a year and never playing it, I got all absorbed by it and I either beat it or played pretty far into it, I don't even remember.

What I do remember is that the game was a drag until you unlocked Links upward and downward thrusts which really made the fight mechanics much more enjoyable. Actually now that I type this, I think I remember the game being night and day more enjoyable once you managed to get the super high jump boots or something. That sticks out in my head for some reason.

Icebot 05-03-2021 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_one (Post 1891115)

I actually just completed the Water Temple before I saw this post and am now getting ready to do the Bottom of the Well, but yeah the Water Temple can get very confusing at first if you don’t keep track of what you’re doing. But the more I play it, the easier it is to memorize where everything is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1891116)

I’ve been playing a lot of Zelda 2 myself and beat the game many times. Yeah it was pretty cool to do another battle with that shadowy Link in the Water Temple.

I just started my first game of Link To The Past, I played it before but didn’t do much so I hope I have time to explore the game more.