The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Game Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why no good TMNT fighting game? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=52035)

neatoman 05-06-2015 04:49 AM

Why no good TMNT fighting game?

So TMNT would be a prime target to make fighting games out of, right? Martial arts themes, lot's visually memorable characters and plenty of et pieces for stages... So how come there has only been three TMNT fighting games and how come they all kind of suck?

The Snes version of Tournament Fighters comes the closest to being good but still has some problems with the gameplay, the other two are certainly weaker. Smash-Up is a slow Smash Bros clone that lacks much of what makes Smash Bros so fun, and a rather small roster for a game in 2009.

And then there's Mutant Melee, I'll let it speak for itself.

So yeah, why no good TMNT fighting games?

Prowler 05-06-2015 12:30 PM

The SNES version of Tournament Fighters was pretty decent. It was a mere Street Fighter clone like many of the time, but one of the best ones by far. Wasn't great by any means, but it's definitely playable.

The NES version isn't as good, but does alright considering it's on an older console and one of the few fighters for it. It was kinda ambitious to make a fighting game for the NES. Although it did come out for it as late as 1993.

The Genesis/Mega Drive version however, was poor.

Why no good TMNT fighting games? Well TMNT games are just games meant to cash out on a popular franchise. Developers don't make much of an effort and don't make use of very high budgets for those games since there isn't much of a demand for them in comparison to many other series. And nowadays, it seems pretty much impossible to make a good TMNT fighting game that could rival with the likes of Tekken, Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, etc. in terms of gameplay.

Also, first time I've ever seen recorded footage of Mutant Melee. Looks awful.

TigerClaw 05-06-2015 12:32 PM

I would like to see a new TMNT Tournament Fighter done with today's graphics.

Or maybe they can be guest characters in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS?

Powder 05-06-2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1454874)
Or maybe they can be guest characters in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS?

Do you really honestly think that there's even a .1% chance of that? :tneutral:

Prowler 05-06-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1454910)

He could always play Mugen(is that still around, even?)

slashpieturtlemix 05-06-2015 02:18 PM

Mugen is still around. Also I highly doubt smash would put them in. They usually have 3rd party companies contact them way in advance to have them in. Snake missed the roster in Melee for that reason and they tossed him in Brawl. Also I loved the snes fighting game lol

TigerClaw 05-06-2015 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1454910)

Well, Nintendo has a page where you can submit characters you wanna see in Super Smash Bros, You can enter the Submissions here.
https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

The Turtles are video game characters too, So you can submit one of them.

The submissions ask. The Gender, The name of the Character, Why this character become a fighter, And what game he is from.

And there been a lot of 3rd party TMNT games that were on the Nintendo consoles.

Powder 05-06-2015 03:56 PM

Yeah, I'm sure Nintendo is just dying to put non-Nintendo non-video game franchise characters into their game.

DevilSpooky 05-06-2015 04:48 PM

You can always create them on SCV like I did :P

Sabacooza 05-06-2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1454874)
I would like to see a new TMNT Tournament Fighter done with today's graphics.

I'm thinking maybe Street Fighter 4 or 5 graphics. That would be sweet but we'll never get anything that good.

Leo656 05-06-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilSpooky (Post 1455038)
You can always create them on SCV like I did :P

I did that with III. :lol: I haven't really played past that one in the series. I beat it with "Leo", though. :lol: I always made TMNT and He-Man characters when I played SoulCalibur. :lol:

I'd love an updated Tournament Fighters style game. Just throw everybody in there. Do it in that "cleaned-up" faux 16-bit throwback style, if you want. F*ck it, that stuff's popular right now.

It could be pretty good if they'd bother. People forget, wasn't long ago people said a fighting game with DC characters would by definition be either impossible or terrible, then Injustice happened (and I'd argue that even MK vs. DC isn't bad). Stuff can change in a hurry if people are properly motivated.

DevilSpooky 05-07-2015 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1455226)
I did that with III. :lol: I haven't really played past that one in the series. I beat it with "Leo", though. :lol: I always made TMNT and He-Man characters when I played SoulCalibur. :lol:

Dude try V, you can do so much more in it, you even have Turtle shells in it :teek:

Leo656 05-07-2015 04:41 AM

Well f*** me running, I guess I should go ahead and work on that. :lol: Thanks for the tip, broski.

Prowler 05-07-2015 10:14 AM

I created the four turtles in WWE Day of Reckoning 2 for the GameCube. That game had a great CAW mode. Much better than the SD vs. Raw series one.

Ever played it, Leo?

The-Shredder 05-07-2015 01:06 PM

That Mutant Melee footage above makes the game look a lot worse than it really is, especially with the lack of background music. To be honest, it's not that bad of a game, but I admit that it does certainly feel underwhelming overall.

Prowler 05-07-2015 01:35 PM

Still looks pretty bad.

DevilSpooky 05-07-2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1455293)
Well f*** me running, I guess I should go ahead and work on that. :lol: Thanks for the tip, broski.

You can check my creations on the link on my sig, they're not perfect and still need lots of work but I'm proud of them :P

Leo656 05-07-2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1455377)
I created the four turtles in WWE Day of Reckoning 2 for the GameCube. That game had a great CAW mode. Much better than the SD vs. Raw series one.

Ever played it, Leo?

You're asking ME this. I have three memory cards worth of CAWS for both Day of Reckonings. :lol: I have almost every wrestling game ever released in America. :)

And yeah, the DoR had an awesome CAW system, but I only ever used it to make real wrestlers. I just got another card, though, so maybe I'll mess with some other CAWs for it. I mostly been playing the N64 ones lately, though.

DevilSpooky: I seen 'em. Neat. I'm curious now. :lol:

Shark_Blade 05-07-2015 08:29 PM

Like I said, we need Mortal Kombat TMNT fighting game. Straight up decapitation, slashing brutal beatdown and amped up the gore to the max. Blood all over the place. :tlove:

Jester 05-07-2015 08:43 PM

I really enjoy Melee, but man it could get frustrating.