The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Game Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=63728)

Andrew NDB 04-13-2022 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1926799)
Sometimes, people just want to sit down and play games you can finish in 20-30 minutes. That's the appeal, nice short games just to breeze through when you don't want to play a big or long game. It also brings back memories of simpler times during the NES or SNES days when a lot of games could be completed in one sitting.

It made 100% sense for an arcade game actually in an arcade. People are lining up and want your spot or maybe you only have X number of minutes to play before you have to jet or get back to whatever else it was you were doing at the mall or while waiting for your food at a restaurant, etc.. It makes very little sense for a home console game beyond pure 80s/90s arcade nostalgia and nothing else.

neatoman 04-13-2022 06:00 PM

Well... I mean my opinion on this game is that I think it's cringe to make a pure FW style game when I feel people should have moved on from the idea that FW TMNT is "the" TMNT since at least 2003, and really never should have thought so to begin with if I'm honest.

But I also recognise that me thinking it's a cringeworthy idea to make a FW game in 2022 is a largely subjective problem. The game probably won't have any of the elements that makes the FW show an objective pile of dogshit and can't really share some of the due to being a video game. I won't resort to saying it will be bad because it's a beat-em-up, because I don't think that and I don't think this game will be bad itself, it will be cringe in a certain sense but probably not bad as a game.

RaphaelinSTL 04-13-2022 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1926800)
It made 100% sense for an arcade game actually in an arcade. People are lining up and want your spot or maybe you only have X number of minutes to play before you have to jet or get back to whatever else it was you were doing at the mall or while waiting for your food at a restaurant, etc.. It makes very little sense for a home console game beyond pure 80s/90s arcade nostalgia and nothing else.

I don’t know man. Thats clearly just your take. I’ve had way more fun over the last few years with something like Streets of Rage 4 than I ever did with something like the Witcher. People like different things and that’s a okay.

New footage was fun, but man … we gotta start getting more soon! I’m starting to think this game will come out in the fall? Probably not to have the Cowbunga Collection be so close since that seems to be eyeing a summer release.

Sumac 04-13-2022 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1926796)
I've never seen anybody with such a hard-on of hate for a niche genre before.

Its in the same ballpark as his dislike for 2D fighting games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1926802)
But I also recognise that me thinking it's a cringeworthy idea to make a FW game in 2022 is a largely subjective problem. The game probably won't have any of the elements that makes the FW show an objective pile of dogshit and can't really share some of the due to being a video game. I won't resort to saying it will be bad because it's a beat-em-up, because I don't think that and I don't think this game will be bad itself, it will be cringe in a certain sense but probably not bad as a game.

Seethe and cope. Don't cut on that edge.
Ain't have no bandaid here. Just pizza with milk and anchovy, duuuuuude. :P

Andrew NDB 04-14-2022 12:38 AM

Less dislike as much as it is, "lack of excitement for new fighting games in 2D." It's a little more forgivable for Street Fighter since they never actually made the leap to 3D fighting... far less so for MK for making the leap to 3D and then regressing back to 2D.

I just really want to see an evolution in all games. Not just pretty graphics and more combos or buttons. In most cases, 3D IS the evolution, and then fine-tuning that. There is nowhere else to go after 3D but VR, and obviously that is not for everyone.

As far as Doom => modern FPS games? That's silly. Beyond multiplayer only Quake 3/Quake Champions type fluff, story-based FPS games have been in a constant state of evolution. Now, if FPS games suddenly stopped being in full 3D and reintroduced the 2D sprites and elements from Doom and Wolf 3D (the 1 sided sprite trees that always face you, objects, enemies that only "seem" in 3D but are just 8 flat sets of sprites from 8 angles) then we could talk.

Sumac 04-14-2022 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1926822)
Less dislike as much as it is, "lack of excitement for new fighting games in 2D." It's a little more forgivable for Street Fighter since they never actually made the leap to 3D fighting... far less so for MK for making the leap to 3D and then regressing back to 2D.

"Regressing", lol. MK9, X and 11 were much more refined and content full games, when it comes to a gameplay, not to mention sold much more. Which should hint that public wants good games, not super mega advanced. Also, MK staying as a failed clone of Tekken is not a good thing.

Also, 3D fighting games were more or less a dead end for a genre, since most of them have died by mid 2000s. Only Tekken carried a flag and all others were relegated to their tiny niches, no different than some Japanese fighting 2D indie games. So much for an evolution! :lol:

Quote:

I just really want to see an evolution in all games. Not just pretty graphics and more combos or buttons. In most cases, 3D IS the evolution, and then fine-tuning that. There is nowhere else to go after 3D but VR, and obviously that is not for everyone.

No, 3D is not a evolution. It is just a different take on a pre-existing concepts.
In some cases it is degeneration, since some things, which define 2D games can not be replicated in 3D. Which is why, for example, there are no successful 3D Castlevanias, which could replicate experience of 2D games or 3D fighting games, which could replicate experience of 2D ones.

Quote:

As far as Doom => modern FPS games? That's silly. Beyond multiplayer only Quake 3/Quake Champions type fluff, story-based FPS games have been in a constant state of evolution. Now, if FPS games suddenly stopped being in full 3D and reintroduced the 2D sprites and elements from Doom and Wolf 3D (the 1 sided sprite trees that always face you, objects, enemies that only "seem" in 3D but are just 8 flat sets of sprites from 8 angles) then we could talk.

I've played Doom few years ago and must say, by its energy and pace there are very few FPS which could rival it, modern or otherwise. It is not about graphics it is about execution and if game works perfectly even with pseudo3D, like in Doom, there is no reason to make it 3D, because, it is a modern thing.

Also, it might be a news to you, but retro-FPS (stylized after Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem 3D) are a thing and they sell pretty well and achieve somewhat of a cult status. So much for an "evolution".:P

AquaParade 04-14-2022 06:13 AM

Yeah, moving into 3D space is not the only way to innovate. That’s a very simplified way of looking at game design.

Clearly this game is building on what came before in terms of arcade beat-em-ups.

oldmanwinters 04-14-2022 07:46 AM

Screencaps from the digital version of the Game Informer article are included in this fan-video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbXG28pmtY

Also, an article that mostly summarizes the production diary video from yesterday:
https://www.comingsoon.net/games/new...veloper-diary#
Eastman linked to it.

oldmanwinters 04-16-2022 04:53 PM

The new issue of PC Gamer has Turtles as a cover feature. Groundchuck and Dirtbag bosses confirmed!

Also NPC Irma cameo.

CyberCubed 04-16-2022 05:20 PM

So are they trying to include every major old boss from the old games?

It would be cool if we get a boss character we never had in a game before like Tempestra or Antrax or something.

Sumac 04-16-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1927034)
So are they trying to include every major old boss from the old games?

It would be cool if we get a boss character we never had in a game before like Tempestra or Antrax or something.

Tempestra is confirmed to the the boss as well as Rahzar and Tokka.
Also, impressive for the 2D TMNT game to make the cover of a modern magazine.

CyberCubed 04-17-2022 10:23 AM

Do we have a full boss list confirmed so far? I haven't read all the info so I don't know. How many bosses are confirmed?

oldmanwinters 04-17-2022 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1927100)
Do we have a full boss list confirmed so far? I haven't read all the info so I don't know. How many bosses are confirmed?

Turtlepedia entry is pretty good but does not yet reflect the reveals from the PC Gamer article:
https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/...er%27s_Revenge

Chaotix12345 04-17-2022 01:21 PM

Here's the stage and Boss rundown so far:

Stage 1: Jaw-Breaking News (Bebop)
Stage 2: Street stage without a name yet (Rocksteady)
Stage 4: Rumble at the Zoo (Groundchuck and Dirtbag)
Stage 6: Mall Meltdown (Tempestra w/ Tokka and Rahzar cameo)
Stage 10: A Few Screws Loose (Metalhead)

Rat King is also confirmed as a Boss (possibly manning Stage 3 or 5) and we've seen both Bebop and Rocksteady appear in another stage, so we might get a refight against them simultaneously. (Not sure if we've seen any footage/screens outright confirming a refight, though.)

CyberCubed 04-17-2022 07:27 PM

So the absent characters are Baxter, Leatherhead and Slash so far and they'll probably all be in it.

I'd love if they included General Traag again, he hasn't been a boss since TMNT II, right? Or him and Granitor teamed up.

MikeandRaph87 04-17-2022 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1927142)
So the absent characters are Baxter, Leatherhead and Slash so far and they'll probably all be in it.

I'd love if they included General Traag again, he hasn't been a boss since TMNT II, right? Or him and Granitor teamed up.

Aside from the Arcade Game and NES port General Tragg was a boss in Back to The Sewers for Gameboy. I thought that rock soldiers as a more difficult basic enemy was effective in Manhattan Project and Turtles in Time while that should continue General Tragg should be a boss. Granitor I would rather not be a boss as he is not the general and would take away from a more difficult basic enemy with regular rock soldiers.

NinjaMan 04-17-2022 11:12 PM

https://i.imgur.com/tSG8dAW.jpg
Shredder

lonewarrior20 04-18-2022 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaMan (Post 1927151)

Hey, tiffiny.

CyberCubed 04-18-2022 03:15 PM

Look at those re-used assets for the male and female reporter, they just re-used them 6 times in that image alone.

oldmanwinters 04-18-2022 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1927195)
Look at those re-used assets for the male and female reporter, they just re-used them 6 times in that image alone.

The truth is that most people who work in TV News are clones.