The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The Twilight Zone (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=56450)

Powder 09-15-2016 06:40 AM

The Twilight Zone

Who here is a fan?

I've been watching 2-3 episodes a night recently, on Netflix. I've always had a vague desire to check it out, but it sure as hell took me a long time to get around to it. I'm really digging this series, even if so many of its concepts have since been milked to death & as such had predictable plot twists/endings. There's a lot of thematic variety & its casts serve to be a crazy revolving door of talent, making it fun to spot familiar faces. Some of the acting is over the top, befitting of such a show, but much of it is quite well done. A refreshing palette cleanser compared to so many of today's hacks.

What are some of your favorite episodes?

Of what I have seen so far, these stood out for me:

Walking Distance- A guy goes back in time to his childhood/hometown, bumping into his parents & former self.

The Man In The Bottle- A down on their luck couple who run an antique shop encounter a genie who grants 4 wishes with dire consequences.

Mirror Image- A woman keeps seeing her doppelganger while stranded in a bus station. She fears she's losing her mind.

A Penny For Your Thoughts- When a coin lands upright, it grants the banker who drops it the ability to read minds.

A Piano In The House- A man buys a piano whose music makes its listener spill their heart out, revealing their inner most thoughts & feelings.

A Kind Of Stop Watch- There exists a stop watch which can stop time, & it falls into the hands of a very high-strung individual.

Number Twelve Looks Just Like You- In a dystopian future, at age 18, you're forced to undergo cosmetic surgery that makes you look exactly like one of the 20 model appearances offered - but one girl refuses.

Prowler 09-15-2016 06:51 AM

I used to watch it with my grandmother on cable tv over a decade ago. I have very blurry memories of it, other than it being pretty old episodes. As in black and white ones. I remember an episode where a man ride the train to work and one day decides to stop in a train station he had no idea it existed. At the end of the episode he is found dead and people say "he jumped off the train".

sdp 09-15-2016 07:36 PM

I started watching The Twilight Zone three years ago, I marathon a season around October in honor of Halloween haha. It never looked appearling being an older show and in B&W but I've become a huge fan. Sure we've seen many of the plots recycled but it's nice to see the originals and in many cases these versions are far superior since it being old adds to the atmosphere and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Not all episodes are hits but a large amount of them are even if you can tell the twist and when you don't it's even better, I can only imagine how mind blowing this show was when it aired. I started S4 already and episodes are 50 mins long instead of so far I'm not liking this change. I bought a Twilight Zone figure not too long ago and love it.

snake 09-15-2016 07:37 PM

I've seen a couple off netflix. Very good show!

My favorite so far is "Terror at 20,000 feet"

Spike Spiegel 09-15-2016 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snake (Post 1624400)
My favorite so far is "Terror at 20,000 feet"

https://38.media.tumblr.com/5798a39a...zsjko1_400.gif

Someday I'll finally watch all the episodes. Those blu-ray sets are kind of expensive.

I also remember a rebooted version (after the 80s one) that came on in syndication around 2002 or so.

TheSkeletonMan939 09-15-2016 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel (Post 1624412)

I remember that freaking me the **** out when I first saw it.

One of the episodes I remember watching was the one where the guy had a bomb shelter and wouldn't let anyone else use it when aliens invaded. Very tense; excellent episode.

snake 09-15-2016 08:42 PM

Flying for the first time at night, that episode kept creeping into my head. Luckily I was away from the window :lol:

Wildcat 09-15-2016 10:21 PM

Some episodes are great some are kinda dumb. I know the airplane one is very popular but my problem is the monster. Just look at that Gif...so silly. Even for the time. Im sure they could have done something other than stick a guy in fluffy suit with his face painted. Some kind of puppet would have worked much better.

sdp 10-23-2016 03:23 PM

I finished watching S4 of The Twilight Zone and it's ok. I had heard a lot about S4 like the majority saying it was terrible but a minority mentioning it was actually some of the best it had to offer so I gave it a fair chance. For the most part it's pretty standard Twilight Zone, some episodes are weaker and some are very strong and some even a bit recycled but my problem with the season is the 50 minute long episodes are just too long. I don't know if they were originally 25 min episodes that got extended when the show changed to an hour or if the writers just didn't know how to handle the extra time. You can pretty much cut 15 minutes out of every episode and have them 35 mins without much trouble since there are many scenes that repeat the same information or things that have no point in general and make episodes drag a bit, hell maybe they could even be cut down to their regular 25 min episodes.

While the length is a problem they're still TZ episodes so you know what to expect and it does have some strong episodes that are up there with the best to be forgotten.

ToTheNines 10-23-2016 03:39 PM

My all-time favorite episode is "Five Characters in Search of an Exit". The clown is the creepiest ever, and the ballerina is beautiful. I've been in love with her ever since I was a kid.

Candy Kappa 10-23-2016 03:39 PM

I enjoy The Twilight Zone quite a bit. The Encounter is a fave of mine. And Time Enough At Last, just on how unusually cruel and mean-minded that episode was.

Wildcat 10-23-2016 10:20 PM

Anyone else prefer Tales from the Dark Side?

That series was better imo. It was creepier but I know that wasn't always the point with Twilight Zone. The production quality was better too but I'm not holding that against TZ. It was just nice to have better effects since it was in the 80s.

Some of the hour long TZs hosted by Forest Whitaker were cool too.

Andrew NDB 04-09-2019 10:57 AM

Seems like the new Twilight Zone is all about SJW stuff, "systemic racism," prejudice and the like. And the remake of "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" isn't about a gremlin on the wings, but instead a white male dealing with his own racism on a plane.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/cu...t-zone-revival

Yeesh. That's too bad, I was looking forward to this.

ProphetofGanja 04-09-2019 07:06 PM

Huge Twilight Zone fan, always enjoyed it growing up watching with my uncle who was big into old timey shows and movies.

I saw an episode of the new reboot and I was sadly a little disappointed. It was pretty weak. The theme wasn't focused enough and it dragged on a bit, but the main thing that I noticed was the music. In the original show the music really helped set the ambiance, it was always suitably tense. The music in the reboot just felt really watered-down

drgon78 04-09-2019 08:22 PM

Well at least we still have the original series.

Jester 04-09-2019 08:29 PM

Liked the original series. To Serve Man will always be a favorite of mine. Also love the one with Talking Tina....and of course the ones with Bill Mumy, Burgess Meredith, and The Shat.

Saw the 1st 2 of the remake. The premise of the first was interesting but the execution wasn't great, and it was too long. The 2nd was too predictable and I think it could have had a better ending.

Edit: I also watched through Night Gallery, decent show, but not as good as Twilight Zone. The anthology nature was kinda cool though. Need to watch Tales From the Dark Side and Tales From the Crypt. Love a good sci-fi/horror anthology. Watched a few episode of one based on the works of Roald Dahl...but could never get into it. Did like Black Mirror, though it gets a bit bleak.

drgon78 04-09-2019 09:49 PM

Yeah always liked Talking Tina, Five Characters in search for an Exit, Terror at 20,000 feet, Man in the Bottle, A Kind of a Stop Watch, and many more.

Andrew NDB 04-13-2019 01:33 PM

Just watched the first episode of the new show. Yeah, this is TV for liberals. First episode is about a comedian who just goes on stage to talk about gun control and the how the 2nd amendment is dumb and ranting about Trump... but how doing actual comedy that isn't ranting about such gives him success but sucks away his soul.

Jester 04-13-2019 03:06 PM

That's a...way...of looking at it, I guess.

EDIT: Episode 3 is gonna make your head explode.

Andrew NDB 09-29-2020 11:33 PM

I've heard some people say season 2 of the new show isn't as bad and woke as the first. Can anyone confirm?