The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Forgiveness (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59174)

FredWolfLeonardo 11-24-2017 08:35 PM

Forgiveness

What does Forgiveness mean to you, and do you think that someone should always forgive?

Prowler 11-24-2017 08:40 PM

What the hell is up with the thought provoking and srs bzn threads here lately? :lol:

Depends on the severity of what was done to me. There are people I can never forgive.

plastroncafe 11-24-2017 08:44 PM

I think it's important for the wronged party to forgive, not for the sake of those who wronged them....eff them. They should forgive and let go for their own sake and sanity.

FredWolfLeonardo 11-24-2017 08:50 PM

I believe forgiveness should be unconditional, but not in the sense of subverting justice (for e.g. pardoning a lawbreaker's punishment where punishment is due)

But rather, in the sense of not making an idol out of life's circumstances by believing someone has ruined your life.

Ninjinister 11-24-2017 08:56 PM

Forgive nobody. Eat your transgressors.

TurtleWA 11-24-2017 09:23 PM

I think we all know what wise men say...

Wesley 11-25-2017 09:21 AM

Depends on the person and severity of what he/she has done. I’m willing to forgive most people but I never forget. One should move on anyway without telling them at least to avoid living in the past.

Sumac 11-25-2017 09:30 AM

Depends on what I should forgive them for.

Besides, for me forgiveness equals understanding, because, if you can understand where people come from, then you can forgive them, IMO.

If I can't understand why they did what they did, then there will be no forgiveness from me.

plastroncafe 11-25-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleWA (Post 1730962)

https://media.giphy.com/media/cTw8V1RMKo3Bu/source.gif

ZariusTwo 11-25-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground?

triplexxx 11-25-2017 11:01 AM

If it's family/friend, someone I'm personally connected to, I can forgive them, sooner or later if not immediately, depends on type of offense. A stranger however, if it's verbal, I can brush it off and forget, if it's physical, unless and until they pay for it, probably not, & until they do pay, I would put it as a side issue and move on with my life, but remember it and who they are, so that I know to stay away from them or be on my guard in case they try anything else to me or anyone else.

Utrommaniac 11-25-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1731021)
Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground?

Only fools rush in?

newfan 11-25-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1730954)
What does Forgiveness mean to you, and do you think that someone should always forgive?

I don't think people are obliged to forgive, what if it was something awful? that's up to them but I do agree on Plaston's point about the person who was wronged doing it for their own peace and not for the person who wronged them.

Depends who on who, what and why.

Spike Spiegel 11-25-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

https://pics.me.me/teenage-mutant-ni...ut-4913795.png

Sumac 11-25-2017 01:42 PM

What if someone out of your family done something to you, that its very hard to forgive?
Like being responsible for death of someone who you love?

newfan 04-11-2018 06:39 AM

Just bumping an older thread.

So far as those close to us (family/friends) is concerned, you'll sometimes forgive because of what they mean to you and everything else you have done for each other but other times, with bigger things, the betrayal is bigger because you thought more of that person and so you are more let down. If the betrayal means that there can just be no trust then that relationship is ruined.

There is something I won't ever forgive but I am not plagued by it or consumed by it, just if I stop and think about it, no, I don't forgive them. I'm good with that.

TurtleWA 04-11-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel (Post 1731044)

Yep! :tsmile:

FredWolfLeonardo 04-11-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfan (Post 1755393)
Just bumping an older thread.

So far as those close to us (family/friends) is concerned, you'll sometimes forgive because of what they mean to you and everything else you have done for each other but other times, with bigger things, the betrayal is bigger because you thought more of that person and so you are more let down. If the betrayal means that there can just be no trust then that relationship is ruined.

There is something I won't ever forgive but I am not plagued by it or consumed by it, just if I stop and think about it, no, I don't forgive them. I'm good with that.

I agree with your points.

The way I see it, there are two types of forgiveness. The mental forgiving of someone which prevents you from overthinking the situation, and being consumed with thoughts of anger, and the physical forgiving of someone which includes re establishing ties with someone, bringing them back into your life etc.

While I think mental forgiveness is a must for everyone or everything (does not mean you have to like or support them, only not ruin your own peace of mind over them), I have no probem with the physical cutting off of ties with someone who does not share our ideals and isn't one of us. As the saying goes, birds of a feather flock together.

newfan 04-11-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1755423)
I agree with your points.

The way I see it, there are two types of forgiveness. The mental forgiving of someone which prevents you from overthinking the situation, and being consumed with thoughts of anger, and the physical forgiving of someone which includes re establishing ties with someone, bringing them back into your life etc.

While I think mental forgiveness is a must for everyone or everything (does not mean you have to like or support them, only not ruin your own peace of mind over them), I have no probem with the physical cutting off of ties with someone who does not share our ideals and isn't one of us. As the saying goes, birds of a feather flock together.

Yeah I think that's what I was pondering on, from the one end of the scale where a person holds onto a grudge for years and allows it to affect them and then not going to the other end where all is forgiven but you have let go so far as you don't concern yourself with it, you just wouldn't reconcile with the person if they were still in your life.
(Course I'm talking wronging generally not where someone has suffered a trauma with lasting effect at the hands of another)

Katie 04-11-2018 05:37 PM

I think forgiveness is more about you than it is about the person that wronged you. Like, having forgiveness for someone is basically saying you’ve moved on and that action doesn’t own you anymore.

It’s an act of letting go. It doesn’t erase what happened, but it doesn’t own you anymore.