The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Do you drink? Do you smoke? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57511)

ssjup81 03-13-2017 08:29 PM

Welp, I was invited out to drink on Friday night with a couple of friends. My friend was in the vain attempt of finding a Nintendo Switch. He put off preorderinjg it because he felt the controller wasn’t all that great or something. I think he said it had a delay or a slow response time and it made him cautious. Turns out it was his fault that the controller didn’t work properly when he tried it out. We went to a few stores in the Shinjuku area and all of them were sold out (of course) and they weren’t even taking in reservations for any future ones they may get. It’s like the Wii craziness all over again. We were soon joined by our other friend and then we went to find a place to eat.

The place was okay. The first drink is always a big one, apparently, whether it’s an alcoholic beverage or not. We also did “nomihodai” which means all you can drink, which is super common in Japanese establishments of this nature. You pay a set price and you can drink as much as you’d like for about two hours. Unfortunately, well, if I had really bad allergies, the people that came in and sat in the area next to us were all smokers. This is why I don’t go out much. I ended up coughing a little, but I was fine for the most part. I just wish that these types of places had a smoking/non-smoking section. That aside, I still enjoyed myself. It had been a long time since I’d gone out and done practically anything of this nature.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-13-2017 08:32 PM

9 pages in and still no love for cigars. :tsad:

Winston Churchill would be ashamed of us. Well, for MANY reasons but also because no cigars. :trazz:

ssjup81 03-13-2017 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1667507)
9 pages in and still no love for cigars. :tsad:

Winston Churchill would be ashamed of us. Well, for MANY reasons but also because no cigars. :trazz:

I’m not going to lie…I’ve always wanted to try smoking a cigar. ^^

Prowler 03-13-2017 08:48 PM

Cigars look stylish. Owning a box of them would be cool, I guess. Actually smoking them, though? Nah. I'd rather smoke a pipe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 (Post 1667481)
"Suggestive" lol

Well, OK, that was an euphemism, but considering I didn't read it(the title was enough) I didn't want to assume.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utrommaniac (Post 1667477)
Honestly, I feel the same way. That's really my biggest reason for not smoking. "It's 2017." Even when weed becomes legal (something I support entirely, there's a massive difference between that and tobacco), I wouldn't even smoke that. Maybe I'd eat it or do vapor form, but still, I wouldn't smoke it.

Do Americans not smoke much tobacco in comparison to other nations? No stats, but from anecdotal experience only, I'd say half or so of people aged 16 to 30 smoke tobacco here. And yes, that includes girls/women. There have been times when I got asked by a stranger if I had a cigarette or a lighter and when I said "no. I don't smoke"... they thought I was lying in order to save my last cigarette or something :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-13-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1667512)
Cigars look stylish. Owning a box of them would be cool, I guess. Actually smoking them, though? Nah. I'd rather smoke a pipe.

Damn, pipe didn't even make the list. At least cigars got a namedrop!

Prowler 03-13-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1667513)
Damn, pipe didn't even make the list. At least cigars got a namedrop!

maybe Andrew doesn't like Sherlock Holmes.

It's hilarious to read Sherlock Holmes stories with that 19th century English. Some words/expressions having completely different meanings at the time. Per example: "Watson ejaculated from the window".

CyberCubed 03-13-2017 09:00 PM

It's funny that in all the old 80's movies I'm watching and some 90's movies, nearly every major character smokes as if it's a common thing. I had actually forgotten all the huge smoking in Ghostbusters in particular, all the characters take out their smokes at the same time and stand around.

I also found it interesting how in a lot of movies with kids in it the actors would take out a cig and smoke right in front of them. I don't think you can do that in movies nowadays.

Prowler 03-13-2017 09:06 PM

Smoking looks cool in noir movies, I gotta say. And the tobacco industry likes to overplay the "coolness" image about it.

My maternal grandfather began smoking at the age of nine. OFc this was back in the 30s, but he used to tell my mother about boats from all over the world reaching Lisbon's port back in the day. Kids would go to the port because sailors would give them stuff, American sailors in particular were every kid's favourites since they gave them cigarettes.. Apparently the first English words he learned were "yankee, gimme a cigarette!".

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-13-2017 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1667514)
maybe Andrew doesn't like Sherlock Holmes.

It's hilarious to read Sherlock Holmes stories with that 19th century English. Some words/expressions having completely different meanings at the time. Per example: "Watson ejaculated from the window".

Is that really in there? :teek: I haven't read Doyle in a few years, but I have his entire works on my shelf...

Prowler 03-13-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1667517)

Is that really in there? :teek: I haven't read Doyle in a few years, but I have his entire works on my shelf...

Yeah. I sh*t you not :lol:

Also, the word "gay" is in the Flinstones theme song. Back then it just meant... "happy".

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-13-2017 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1667518)
Yeah. I sh*t you not :lol:

Also, the word "gay" is in the Flinstones theme song. Back then it just meant... "happy".

Well, yeah, the original definition of "gay" is throughout most books before, say, the 1960s.

The Anne of Green Gables series immediately comes to mind as a prime example.

MsMarvelDuckie 03-13-2017 09:59 PM

For further amusement, my mother's middle name is Gaye. I sh*t you not. Obviously she only ever uses her middle initial these days.

Prowler 03-13-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1667528)
For further amusement, my mother's middle name is Gaye. I sh*t you not. Obviously she only ever uses her middle initial these days.

Well some people are named Gaylord. And I'm not just referring to the Meet the F*ckers movies.

Andrew NDB 03-13-2017 10:18 PM

I remember the biggest insult on the playground in 2nd-5th grade was "gaylord." If someone called you a "gaylord," you had better push them off the monkey bars face-first.

Prowler 03-13-2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1667531)
I remember the biggest insult on the playground in 2nd-5th grade was "gaylord." If someone called you a "gaylord," you had better push them off the monkey bars face-first.

When you're a kid being called "gay" is like the worst insult ever. And in HS it can get even worse when most of your male classmates already had a gf or two and you haven't. They start teasing you about possibly being gay. Also, remember the days when "gay" was used as a synonym for "stupid" or "lame"?

I guess it's a remnant of homophobia.

ssjup81 03-13-2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1667512)
Do Americans not smoke much tobacco in comparison to other nations? No stats, but from anecdotal experience only, I'd say half or so of people aged 16 to 30 smoke tobacco here. And yes, that includes girls/women. There have been times when I got asked by a stranger if I had a cigarette or a lighter and when I said "no. I don't smoke"... they thought I was lying in order to save my last cigarette or something :lol:

Based on my limited experience between here and home, I feel that people smoke less in the US. We don’t have cigarette machines and stuff anymore…well, I haven’t seen one since the 80s anyway. Seems you have to make more of an effort to smoke back home since you have to physically go to the store or gas station or wherever to purchase them as opposed to just conveniently dropping some cash in a vending machine.

CyberCubed 03-13-2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1667531)

That and "f*ggot" which is actually more offensive, IMO.

I don't know what the young kids of today say to each other in the playgrounds, but these days you don't see the word "gay' used as an insult much anymore, at least up here in the educated North. I don't know how things are down south, but I think the southern folk are still racist as hell down there. The southerners tend to have a lot of rednecks especially in the states that still worship the Confederate flag, so even I as a white man would not feel comfortable interacting with these people.

Florida is OK though, because we all know most Floridians are from New York.

Prowler 03-13-2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjup81 (Post 1667535)
Based on my limited experience between here and home, I feel that people smoke less in the US. We don’t have cigarette machines and stuff anymore…well, I haven’t seen one since the 80s anyway. Seems you have to make more of an effort to smoke back home since you have to physically go to the store or gas station or wherever to purchase them as opposed to just conveniently dropping some cash in a vending machine.

Ah really? Well every or at least most cafés/restaurants here have a tobacco machine. Nowadays you need to ask the waiter behind the counter to activate it, though. Some years ago it was easy as hell for kids to buy cigarettes off those machines. Hell smoking until the 90s used to be legal to buy if you were 16 years old. You can still buy alcohol at 16 tho.

ssjup81 03-13-2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1667539)
Ah really? Well every or at least most cafés/restaurants here have a tobacco machine. Nowadays you need to ask the waiter behind the counter to activate it, though. Some years ago it was easy as hell for kids to buy cigarettes off those machines. Hell smoking until the 90s used to be legal to buy if you were 16 years old. You can still buy alcohol at 16 tho.

Yeah. Unless someone from the states can say otherwise, I haven’t seen a cigarette machine since I was like 6 or 7 years old. I don’t recall ever seeing one in a restaurant. We also have a lot of non-smoking places now. Here in Japan, you have more ways to buy them and more people do smoke here, but in recent years, the smoking rate has gone down and it’s becoming more and more common to come across Japanese guys who are non-smokers.

Andrew NDB 03-13-2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1667538)
That and "f*ggot" which is actually more offensive, IMO.

I don't remember that popping up until around 8th, 9th grade.