The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Do you drink? Do you smoke? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57511)

Prowler 03-13-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1667538)
That and "f*ggot" which is actually more offensive, IMO.

I don't know what the young kids of today say to each other in the playgrounds, but these days you don't see the word "gay' used as an insult much anymore, at least up here in the educated North. I don't know how things are down south, but I think the southern folk are still racist as hell down there. The southerners tend to have a lot of rednecks especially in the states that still worship the Confederate flag, so even I as a white man would not feel comfortable interacting with these people.

Florida is OK though, because we all know most Floridians are from New York.

But you seem to also be a tad ignorant yourself despite claiming to have had friends and acquaintances of all sorts of backgrounds. So what's your excuse, eh? :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1667543)
I don't remember that popping up until around 8th, 9th grade.

I come from a house where cursing was a rare occurrence, with my mother saying the word "sh*t" about 5-6 times a year on average. I've learnt all of the bad words by 7th-8th grade or so thanks to my classmates.

ssjup81 03-13-2017 10:13 PM

My father would occasionally swear and it was usually by accident since the adults around me generally watched how they spoke. In my recent memory, I think I’ve only heard my mother swear once and I was an adult, and for that, my mother was super super super angry and used the F-word. I won’t get into what triggered it, but it involved a friend of my father’s who disrespected our home and has been banned from the house since like 2001. That was disturbing.

Prowler 03-13-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjup81 (Post 1667550)
My father would occasionally swear and it was usually by accident since the adults around me generally watched how they spoke. In my recent memory, I think I’ve only heard my mother swear once and I was an adult, and for that, my mother was super super super angry and used the F-word. I won’t get into what triggered it, but it involved a friend of my father’s who disrespected our home and has been banned from the house since like 2001. That was disturbing.

Damn.

Never heard my parents drop anything worse than "sh*t". Other relatives from my family also don't/didn't curse much from my experience.

ssjup81 03-13-2017 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1667551)
Damn.

Never heard my parents drop anything worse than "sh*t". Other relatives from my family also don't/didn't curse much from my experience.

Ironically, I brought it up to her the last time I was home (January for a week) and she doesn’t remember using that language. I told her that she was so enraged that she probably didn’t realize what she was saying and I guess that’s why she forgot. She had every right to be super angry, though. Me as well, getting down to it, given how everything occurred downstairs. My room and stuff is on the bottom floor of our home. Generally, though, my mother doesn’t use bad language. My father, as I pointed out, seemed to have more restraint when I was an actual kid. Since I’m an adult, he may let something slip every once in a while, and it’s pretty mild, like “damn” or “hell”. I’ve never heard him use anything worse than that and I hope I never do.

As for me, I’ve never used bad language in front of my parents and don't in front of kids and certain people, but I notice since coming to Japan, I tend to use bad language more…but that’s due to always being so frustrated over work. Thank god this job ends next Wednesday...

CyberCubed 03-14-2017 12:07 AM

I love how this thread has turned into a, "reveal your life story and your upbringing" type of thread.

ssjup81 03-14-2017 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1667567)
I love how this thread has turned into a, "reveal your life story and your upbringing" type of thread.

We're one big Turtle family. A sista can share with her brothas and sistas, can't she? Don't be trippin' dawg. :P

ToTheNines 03-14-2017 03:54 AM

Anyone who voted liquor, or weed... party at my place! If you can get through this snow.

Candy Kappa 03-14-2017 03:58 AM

I've tried cigars a few times at parties, it's not bad but not something I'd do everyday.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-14-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1667577)
Anyone who voted liquor, or weed... party at my place! If you can get through this snow.

I will bring the Irish Cream, staggering amounts of coffee, and a spectacularly bad attitude towards life and everybody in it.

Utrommaniac 03-14-2017 09:08 AM

I'm down for Irish cream.

ABrown 03-14-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1667512)
Do Americans not smoke much tobacco in comparison to other nations? No stats, but from anecdotal experience only, I'd say half or so of people aged 16 to 30 smoke tobacco here.

That number sounds EXTREMELY high. Are you saying that half the people between 16 and 30 have tried cigarettes? Cause I'll absolutely agree with that number. But there is no way that in the year 2017, half of the people between the age of 16 and 30 are smokers.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're location says "Portugal". I was talking about 16-30 year olds in the United States.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1667514)
Per example: "Watson ejaculated from the window".

:lol: Haha, WHAT?!?

Jephael 03-14-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1667515)
It's funny that in all the old 80's movies I'm watching and some 90's movies, nearly every major character smokes as if it's a common thing. I had actually forgotten all the huge smoking in Ghostbusters in particular, all the characters take out their smokes at the same time and stand around.

I also found it interesting how in a lot of movies with kids in it the actors would take out a cig and smoke right in front of them. I don't think you can do that in movies nowadays.

This reminds me of a moment in the Jessica Alba/Chris Evans version of Fantastic 4. There was a whole montage of them in the Baxter Building where Reed Richards was testing out their abilities and they're checking out Ben Grimm's new rocky exterior, and at one point the big guy says "How bad is it? You know I used to smoke." I remember in the commentary the actors explained that's how they managed to reference that back in the olden days of Marvel Comics The Thing actually did smoke. It wasn't just in movies and television.

CyberCubed 03-14-2017 11:26 AM

I noticed they cut smoking out of almost all superhero movies. In fact didn't Wolverine used to smoke a cigar in the first few X-men films, then he stopped doing that? I can't recall which one it was in though.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-14-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1667611)
I noticed they cut smoking out of almost all superhero movies. In fact didn't Wolverine used to smoke a cigar in the first few X-men films, then he stopped doing that? I can't recall which one it was in though.

Yeah, the organization that rates films started clamping down on tobacco use. It gets you an R-rating like the f-bomb now... more than one scene and that's IT for your all-access PG-13 rating.

ToTheNines 03-14-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1667586)
I will bring the Irish Cream, staggering amounts of coffee, and a spectacularly bad attitude towards life and everybody in it.

We'll need all of it, in bulk. Just showed the old lady Next Mutation on Netflix. She's more than a little confused.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jephael (Post 1667601)
This reminds me of a moment in the Jessica Alba/Chris Evans version of Fantastic 4. There was a whole montage of them in the Baxter Building where Reed Richards was testing out their abilities and they're checking out Ben Grimm's new rocky exterior, and at one point the big guy says "How bad is it? You know I used to smoke." I remember in the commentary the actors explained that's how they managed to reference that back in the olden days of Marvel Comics The Thing actually did smoke. It wasn't just in movies and television.

Null used to smoke in the Archie series.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-14-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1667614)
We'll need all of it, in bulk. Just showed the old lady Next Mutation on Netflix. She's more than a little confused.

Bulk is what I do, my man.

Next Mutation is on Netflix? And TMNT 2007?

Why not any of the GOOD Ninja Turtles shows/movies? :tlol:

And now that you bring it up, I wanna see Lady Null smoking in IDW.

ToTheNines 03-14-2017 12:09 PM

Haha, because Viacom hates TMNT.

Just remembered that Old Hob smokes, so it's not like they're not allowed.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-14-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1667623)
Haha, because Viacom hates TMNT.

Just remembered that Old Hob smokes, so it's not like they're not allowed.

Oh, that's right! I forgot Hob smokes! I don't think he's done it in awhile... last I remember was probably City Fall, when he was talking with Slash on the rooftop.

Candy Kappa 03-14-2017 12:20 PM

We have the 1st movie on Netflix (plus 07 and NM), not sure if it survived the last license purge, we did have it last year.

Jephael 03-14-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1667614)

Oh that's right, I remember that. Didn't Dr. Octopus smoke a stogie in Spider-Man 2 at one point, or am I mis-remembering?

Andrew NDB 03-14-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1667611)

Probably First Class. Wolverine was puffing away there at the bar.

Funny that Logan, it goes to the trouble of showing him stealing a cigar only to never actually show him smoking it. In an R-rated movie. Pretty sure in this case, though, it was less being worried about being PC with cigar smoking and more worry about people going, "Oh what a horrible role model Wolverine is, smoking in front of his little girl like that!!!" and getting turned off.

plastroncafe 03-14-2017 02:36 PM

It might have had more to do with the actress playing the kid, rather than Wolvie smoking in front of Laura.

Prowler 03-14-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABrown (Post 1667595)
That number sounds EXTREMELY high. Are you saying that half the people between 16 and 30 have tried cigarettes? Cause I'll absolutely agree with that number. But there is no way that in the year 2017, half of the people between the age of 16 and 30 are smokers.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're location says "Portugal". I was talking about 16-30 year olds in the United States.

:lol: Haha, WHAT?!?

I sh*t you not :lol. Seriously, google "Sherlock Holmes ejaculated quotes" for some examples.

MsMarvelDuckie 03-14-2017 08:52 PM

LOL I love the turns this conversation has taken! Didn't Whistler smoke in the Blade movies? I do remember Wolvie smoking at least up to First Class. Didn't pick up that comment from Thing though. Doc Oc did IIRC, but I think it was only in one scene while building his (second) machine.

CyberCubed 03-14-2017 08:57 PM

I'm trying to think of a smoking scene in any major superhero movie since the early 2000's, I can't think of many. I mean you'd occasionally see a bad guy or some background characters smoking, but you'd never see any of the major characters or "heroes" doing that anymore.

MsMarvelDuckie 03-14-2017 09:01 PM

Most of them never DID.Captain America sure didn't that I know of, neither has Spidey or Daredevil(probably would mess with his senses since he is blind) and Supes and Batman never have that I know of.

plastroncafe 03-14-2017 09:25 PM

Smoking is for the morally ambiguous.
Wolverine
Constantine
J Jonah Jamison

ssjup81 03-14-2017 09:33 PM

Terra smoked in The New Teen Titans. ^^ Probably doesn’t count.

I remember when I saw Jaws for the first time and how shocked I was to see the mayor smoking in the hospital. I think I remember asking my mother about that when slightly older and she said, that in the 70s, it was okay to smoke in many places. My aunt was saying that when she was in junior high school or high school, there was a smoking area right on the school grounds for the students…or maybe the students just smoked there anyway, I don’t remember right off. That was back in the mid 70s.

My grandfather was a smoker as was my uncle. Due to their smoking, my father refused to. My uncle quit, but I’m not sure if he passed because of the long amount of years he smoked or not. I know that was the case for my grandfather.

Candy Kappa 03-15-2017 01:55 AM

Golden Age Batman smoked pipe

ProactiveMan 03-15-2017 08:00 AM

I watched TMNT 1990 a week ago with my sister. She hadn't seen it in a long time, and you should have seen the look on her face when they show that kid smoking a cigar at Foot headquarters.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-15-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1667749)
Smoking is for the morally ambiguous.
Wolverine
Constantine
J Jonah Jamison

:tlol:

Apparently, if I want to increase my badass quotient, I need to take up cancersticks.

ToTheNines 03-15-2017 09:06 AM

It's just a cliche. I know plenty of Nancys with smoking habits.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-15-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1667806)
It's just a cliche. I know plenty of Nancys with smoking habits.

Everyone saw Churchill doing it, and it's been downhill ever since. :tlol:

Andrew NDB 03-15-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1667644)
It might have had more to do with the actress playing the kid, rather than Wolvie smoking in front of Laura.

What do you mean?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1667735)
LOL I love the turns this conversation has taken! Didn't Whistler smoke in the Blade movies? I do remember Wolvie smoking at least up to First Class.

He might have in Days of Putrid Ass in the 70s. Maybe. I don't want to rewatch it to find out for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1667741)
I'm trying to think of a smoking scene in any major superhero movie since the early 2000's, I can't think of many. I mean you'd occasionally see a bad guy or some background characters smoking, but you'd never see any of the major characters or "heroes" doing that anymore.

The Comedian did. And am I misremembering, or did Peter Parker smoke in Spider-Man 3 when he was doing the hipster thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Kappa (Post 1667774)
Golden Age Batman smoked pipe

Commissioner Gordon did up to the late 80s. He had a heart attack and then stopped in the comics, it became this big drama.

discordiatookie 03-15-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1667828)
And am I misremembering, or did Peter Parker smoke in Spider-Man 3

I want to say that he's sooking on a lollipop, but its been a while...

I remember back in the late 80s, very early 90s, my parents would send my sister and I round to the local shop to buy them cigarettes. Was great for us because we'd get to spend the change of sweets.

CyberCubed 03-15-2017 04:11 PM

One day they may ban selling soda to minors under 18. Imagine living in a world like that in the future.

DestronMirage22 03-15-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1667912)
One day they may ban selling soda to minors under 18. Imagine living in a world like that in the future.

What? :lol: Where is this coming from? You high?

BubblyShell22 03-15-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProactiveMan (Post 1667796)
I watched TMNT 1990 a week ago with my sister. She hadn't seen it in a long time, and you should have seen the look on her face when they show that kid smoking a cigar at Foot headquarters.

Yeah, they tend to cut that scene out when it's show on TV.

CyberCubed 03-15-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 (Post 1667929)
What? :lol: Where is this coming from? You high?

Apparently soda is bad for you now. The way everyone and kids drink soda is similar to prior to the 90's where everyone smoked and wasn't aware of how harmful it was to your health.

Soda's and soft drinks are the new cigarette's, pretty soon they'll say soda causes death and say kids won't be able to drink it under 18. It's weird that places like MCdonald's and Burger King serve soda's to kids regularly, I think it's going to stop soon.

Goodbye Coca Cola. Goodbye Pepsi and Mountain Dew.

ABrown 03-15-2017 06:36 PM

I remember when I was a little kid in the 80's running around in a drug store while my mom was checking out. While running I brushed up against some guy's lit cigarette and very mildly burned my arm. Imagine if that were to happen today, 30 years later. Not only would the guy get sued, but the drug store as well. I'd probably be a millionaire right now.