The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Movie Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Pete Ploszek (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48940)

Warhorse 08-15-2014 11:26 PM

Pete Ploszek

It is nice to see, amongst the sea of the TMNT movie lovers, haters and inbetweeners, it seems nearly unanimous that all sides seem to agree that they would have preferred Ploszek given a shot at Leo. I hope he gets the word that he is being appreciated by the majority of the TMNT fans over here.

You think they will bring him back to voice for Leo in the sequel now since the fans have been so vocal on preferring him to Knoxville?

Shark_Blade 08-15-2014 11:33 PM

I wish.

It's so unnecessary to change his voice. I'm a bit meh with the voice in the movie, he's sounded so gruff and hoarse, only occasionally good in some scenes (like "do not speak about this to anyone" to April, and "FOR WHAT!" at Eric Sacks.

Gotta be awkward getting together with the other cast, maybe hanging out and watching the movie together at the premiere only to find out you've been ditched for not giving the voice they wanted and someone else replaced you. :(

My morale gotta be so low after that, but Pete seems to be taking it very professionally and not making a scene . Either it's voluntary or because of his contract, it's still remarkable to have that strong will imo. Cheers for Pete! I hope they do get you to do both Mocap and voice for the sequel, and hopefully you're still interested!

TechnoJerome 08-15-2014 11:38 PM

Didnt he also do the CGI acting in the movie? if so I loved his performance. I felt like other than Raph, Leo was the most expressive. Especially in the sewer fight when he sees Splinter fighting Shredder.

Shark_Blade 08-15-2014 11:46 PM

Yeah I love his expression.

http://i.imgur.com/PyxSAvm.gif
:tlove: I love this shot. So dramatic.

http://i.imgur.com/6870rzm.gif
This one too.

http://i.imgur.com/8vvKNpn.gif

Leolead 08-16-2014 12:01 AM

I don't understand why they replaced Pete, there was nothing wrong with his voice, he sounded perfect for Leo very calm, this especially occurred to me when I was watching TMNT: inside the action, this quote "I started with a single Katana, to learn the forms, to learn how it moves, how it's held, how it's holstered" that right there WAS Leonardo, just something about the way he talks very calm, Zen-ish

Knoxville on the other hand just didn't feel right for Leo, he only sounded good a few times, like "For What!!" "Do not say a word about this to anyone.. if you do we will find you" but otherwise I just wasn't feeling him.. he didn't sound like a teenager.. like at all.

We could have had a great Leonardo, Bay, Liebsman, who ever it was they really really messed up, I mean the other Turtles sound perfect, I could just listen to their voices and instantly be able to who's who..

Hopefully they'll let Pete voice Leo in TMNT 2.

Warhorse 08-16-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leolead (Post 1333850)
I don't understand why they replaced Pete, there was nothing wrong with his voice, he sounded perfect for Leo very calm, this especially occurred to me when I was watching TMNT: inside the action, this quote "I started with a single Katana, to learn the forms, to learn how it moves, how it's held, how it's holstered" that right there WAS Leonardo, just something about the way he talks very calm, Zen-ish

Knoxville on the other hand just didn't feel right for Leo, he only sounded good a few times, like "For What!!" "Do not say a word about this to anyone.. if you do we will find you" but otherwise I just wasn't feeling him.. he didn't sound like a teenager.. like at all.

We could have had a great Leonardo, Bay, Liebsman, who ever it was they really really messed up, I mean the other Turtles sound perfect, I could just listen to their voices and instantly be able to who's who..

Hopefully they'll let Pete voice Leo in TMNT 2.

This. It was when I was watching behind the scenes when I finally got to hear Pete talk, and I agree, I think he would have been perfect.

strawberryfields 08-16-2014 12:10 AM

I liked Knoxville; only complaint is he doesn't sound 15

Leolead 08-16-2014 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhorse (Post 1333851)
This. It was when I was watching behind the scenes when I finally got to hear Pete talk, and I agree, I think he would have been perfect.

I know right!

I just wanna know what happened:-? why did they replace Pete?

IndigoErth 08-16-2014 12:39 AM

Pete, you're online somewhere out there, how do we help push them to let you do it?? 8)

So unfair that he lost out, and to listen to the guy he'd have a GREAT voice for Leo. I agree, and am repeating myself at this point, that Knoxville did sound ok at certain moments, but outside those moments it just feels so flatly gruff. Maybe fans who are focused on other Turtles find it just fine, but to me there is just something missing in the tone and demeanor given to Leo. Just left me a bit disheartened, glad I'm maybe not the only to feel something was lacking. I mean come on... this is the boyscout we're talking about, the "turtle of justice," the one who'd prob be your valiant hero if you needed one...or he'd try. And then... they voice him with Knoxville.

I mean when the Turtles...
Spoiler:
...ask/tell April to meet up with them, and Leo is like "Heeeeey, glad you could make it..." - the way that line is delivered sounds, to me, more like "I want to get you into the van and maybe leave your lifeless body in the woods." The fact that that line, in a Turtles movie that should be focused on them, as good guys no less and spoken by my fave, makes me feel more like telling frigging April to RUN... That ain't good. :ohwell:

It's enough that it is probably my greatest letdown with this movie at this point, but then I saw a video of Knoxville speaking about it outside the premiere, responding that he didn't do any research, didn't put on a voice, and "just played a big hillbilly"... Just irked me more. If there had been a lot of effort made I could be more forgiving, but after hearing that... wtf. Of all people, why Leo.

Really think Pete could have given Leo what was missing. After all, the guy spent quite some time portraying and connecting with him. Think right now the main reason I'm looking forward to the sequel is largely in hopes that they fix this and other things that should have been handled differently. Who cares if Pete is a lesser known... They want to bring in a well known name then at least give them a suitable role!

I will leave it off there for now though... I could go on about it longer I'm sure after seeing that video that made me all the more peeved over the lack of effort and consideration given to voicing him. Could hit Paramount and Knoxville both...

Leolead 08-16-2014 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1333865)
Pete, you're online somewhere out there, how do we help push them to let you do it?? 8)

So unfair that he lost out, and to listen to the guy he'd have a GREAT voice for Leo. I agree, and am repeating myself at this point, that Knoxville did sound ok at certain moments, but outside those moments it just feels so flatly gruff. Maybe fans who are focused on other Turtles find it just fine, but to me there is just something missing in the tone and demeanor given to Leo. Just left me a bit disheartened, glad I'm maybe not the only to feel something was lacking. I mean come on... this is the boyscout we're talking about, the "turtle of justice," the one who'd prob be your valiant hero if you needed one...or he'd try. And then... they voice him with Knoxville.

Spoiler:
...ask/tell April to meet up with them, and Leo is like "Heeeeey, glad you could make it..." - the way that line is delivered sounds, to me, more like "I want to get you into the van and maybe leave your lifeless body in the woods." That fact that that line, in a Turtles movie that should be focused on them, as good guys no less, makes me feel more like telling frigging April to RUN... That ain't good. :ohwell:

It's enough that it is probably my greatest letdown with this movie at this point, but then I saw a video of Knoxville speaking about it outside the premiere, responding that he didn't do any research, didn't put on a voice, and "just played a big hillbilly"... Just irked me more. If there had been a lot of effort made I could be more forgiving, but after hearing that... wtf. Of all people, why Leo.

Really think Pete could have given Leo what was missing. After all, the guy spent quite some time portraying and connecting with him. Think right now the main reason I'm looking forward to the sequel is largely in hopes that they fix this and other things that should have been handled differently. Who cares if Pete is a lesser known... They want to bring in a well known name then at least give them a suitable role!

I will leave it off there for now though... I could go on about it longer I'm sure after seeing that video that made me all the more peeved over the lack of effort and consideration given to voicing him.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Exactly!

It's almost like (I dare say it) Knoxville wasn't even really trying, this is my number one grip about this movie.

chrisdude 08-16-2014 05:49 AM

I like Knoxville in the role. But he was obviously cast for his voice, and not for him to create something. What I don't understand is how Knoxville's name wasn't used any promotions. I have never seen Knoxville's name associated with this film in any promotional capacity, not even in the slightest. Ploszek is the one doing morning shows and such with the other three turtles. This leads me to believe Knoxville wasn't just thrown in for his name, and that they really preferred his voice.

Radical Raph 08-16-2014 06:17 AM

I didn't like the movie so this doesn't bother me anymore but I do think we should get to hear Pete.

Warhorse 08-16-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdude (Post 1333957)
I like Knoxville in the role. But he was obviously cast for his voice, and not for him to create something. What I don't understand is how Knoxville's name wasn't used any promotions. I have never seen Knoxville's name associated with this film in any promotional capacity, not even in the slightest. Ploszek is the one doing morning shows and such with the other three turtles. This leads me to believe Knoxville wasn't just thrown in for his name, and that they really preferred his voice.

Well, just because they are "professionals" in the world of casting voices and directing and whatnot, does not mean all of their decisions are right.

Bry 08-16-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdude (Post 1333957)

They did get some headlines out of his casting. And he had recently signed a two-year first-look deal with Paramount, so casting him might have been something to do with that as well.

I doubt it had much to do with his voice or what was right for the role. He's a "known property" with a fanbase and they did get some press out of it. And he was already under contract, so this strikes me as purely business-motivated.

chrisdude 08-16-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhorse (Post 1334015)
Well, just because they are "professionals" in the world of casting voices and directing and whatnot, does not mean all of their decisions are right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bry (Post 1334019)
They did get some headlines out of his casting. And he had recently signed a two-year first-look deal with Paramount, so casting him might have been something to do with that as well.

I doubt it had much to do with his voice or what was right for the role. He's a "known property" with a fanbase and they did get some press out of it. And he was already under contract, so this strikes me as purely business-motivated.

I'm not saying they're decisions are always right. I'm not even saying this decision was right. We haven't heard Ploszek in the role. And this may very well have had to do with the Paramount deal. I'm just not inclined to believe this was done for his namesake when they never name-dropped the guy. They didn't mention him in ads, or plaster his name across the posters. Every time I see the turtle actors make an appearance, or do an interview, it's Ploszek. I only saw Knoxville walk the red carpet at the premiere. That's the only time I've seen him do anything remotely promotional. Heck, the last time I saw the movie, a woman shouted "Johnny Knoxville!" when his name scrolled in the credits, like she didn't even know. And he's at least as famous as Will Arnett.

ShellShock 08-16-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1333865)

Spoiler:
...ask/tell April to meet up with them, and Leo is like "Heeeeey, glad you could make it..." - the way that line is delivered sounds, to me, more like "I want to get you into the van and maybe leave your lifeless body in the woods." The fact that that line, in a Turtles movie that should be focused on them, as good guys no less and spoken by my fave, makes me feel more like telling frigging April to RUN... That ain't good. :ohwell:

I will leave it off there for now though... I could go on about it longer I'm sure after seeing that video that made me all the more peeved over the lack of effort and consideration given to voicing him. Could hit Paramount and Knoxville both...

Can you link me to these interviews?

ShellShock 08-16-2014 11:40 AM

Also, while I think that there are way better choices for Leonardo including Ploszek, I liked Knoxville as Leonardo.

IndigoErth 08-16-2014 02:18 PM

Honestly I think some (or a lot?) of it is/was Paramount was trying to touch as many demographics as possible... Knoxville for that demographic who'd prob themselves find out he was going to do this no matter if Paramount advertises it or not. Premier a trailer on wresting website for that set. Shell Shocked rap and the short "We are Ninjas" by Pentatonix for those individual demographics.. Etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShellShock (Post 1334088)
Can you link me to these interviews?

http://youtu.be/eZr06a6rcsc

Note, the person speaking to him is pretty quiet so you may have to turn the volume up at times. Abt 0:25 - 0:43 is the part that became a thorn in my side.

I get it, he was simply doing what was asked of him, but that both he and Paramount apparently just tossed it together as if it's nothing to concern themselves with and sacrifice part of Pete's work and what Leo could have had so Knoxville can score points with his kids... Grr.

Edit: Pete's interview there http://youtu.be/IjrRxDMZbOQ

chrisdude 08-16-2014 05:50 PM

Thanks for posting those. I hadn't see the red carpet interviews, and I just watched a bunch.

Warhorse 08-16-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdude (Post 1334045)
I'm not saying they're decisions are always right. I'm not even saying this decision was right. We haven't heard Ploszek in the role. And this may very well have had to do with the Paramount deal. I'm just not inclined to believe this was done for his namesake when they never name-dropped the guy. They didn't mention him in ads, or plaster his name across the posters. Every time I see the turtle actors make an appearance, or do an interview, it's Ploszek. I only saw Knoxville walk the red carpet at the premiere. That's the only time I've seen him do anything remotely promotional. Heck, the last time I saw the movie, a woman shouted "Johnny Knoxville!" when his name scrolled in the credits, like she didn't even know. And he's at least as famous as Will Arnett.

Well then, why use a famous name at all when they could have gone to another not so famous dude for about fraction of the costs. I just think the studio heads were panicking about something and threw in Knoxville in at the last minute. It was done in haste, and it's shown. I'm sure Pete would have been fine.