The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Game Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=63728)

AquaParade 06-16-2022 03:37 AM

Andrew, I think you’re overthinking this. It’s a fun, high-quality game that people can enjoy. It’s a quality tmnt product, in a sea of mostly crap. It’s okay to look forward to stuff like this and celebrate the release.

No one is pretending it’s a AAA title. Not everything needs to be. But with the reception and praise this is receiving, it’s possible we see one in the future.
At the same time, this isn’t a cheap cash grab either, so there is plenty of reason to look forward to it.

I get you aren’t into this genre so much, but you seem annoyed that other people are, by your posts in this thread, quite honestly. Maybe it’s just not your thing.

oldmanwinters 06-16-2022 06:40 AM

Interesting:

EDIT: Target website says "Now expected September 7, 2022."

AquaParade 06-16-2022 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL (Post 1934095)
Totally agree with all of this. It's hilarious how salty some people were on this game when it was announced, but it's wild what you can achieve when you have a formula that works and you just extend and expand upon it.

Really does feel like a unique fourth wave of Turtle Mania brought on by more people in the adult group of fans, doesn't it? Collectible figures are going nuts and selling like crazy, games are catered to the older fans, (with a new game getting the most critically adored scores in years and an incredible collection of the classic games), the Last Ronin had great coverage and just even in the past five years they've been a part of the DC world with Injustice 2 and the Batman crossover animated movie.

All that being said, MAN — my "You cannot play this software yet." pop up I keep getting when trying to boot up Shredder's Revenge on my Switch right now is killin' me, lol.

Agreed. Hope you enjoy it. If I had switch, I'd try to join you. If anyone wants to play on xbox, my name there is "ManOfBart". I probably won't put headset on but whatever.

oldmanwinters 06-16-2022 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaParade (Post 1934124)
Agreed. Hope you enjoy it. If I had switch, I'd try to join you. If anyone wants to play on xbox, my name there is "ManOfBart". I probably won't put headset on but whatever.

I will try to get the Steam version running today. There is crossplay, right?

Zulithe 06-16-2022 07:06 AM

Game is now out on digital platforms. Enjoy everyone

shredder orokusaki 06-16-2022 08:08 AM

I WILL KILL THE TURTLES AND TAKE MY REVENGE AND CONQUER THE WORLD! MUHAHAHAH I WILL ALSO UPLAOD VIDEOS SO EVRYONE CAN SEE ME AND MY FOOT NINAJS AND MY HENCHMEN ROCKSTEADY BEBOP KRANG AND STOCKMAN KILLING THE TURTLES ANDI WILL POAST HERE.

I will play in about 5 hours form now as ijust came back from work(not ninja work i mean other work that i do too), BEST GAME OF THE YEAR AND BEST ACTION GAME!!

Shark_Blade 06-16-2022 09:13 AM

So I used Mikey first and picked the hardest difficulty. We didn’t beat Bebop the first time and the challenge does feel good.

On the second round I picked April and wow… she can chain flying-kick combo and she’s the fastest character in the game! We had so much fun and laughing a lot. Playing with others is such joy because if one of you is low on health, you can high five to transfer some health or if you got knocked out, there’s a countdown to give your partner a chance to revive you (using pizza lol).

Later on I tried using Splinter but he’s so slow compared to April so I changed back to her :tlol:. Some players might enjoy slow paced (yet the most powerful) character like Splinter but I prefer the speedy type.

I didn’t see Casey tho, guess he’ll be unlockable later on.

IMJ 06-16-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaParade (Post 1934115)
It’s a fun, high-quality game that people can enjoy. It’s a quality tmnt product, in a sea of mostly crap. It’s okay to look forward to stuff like this and celebrate the release.

That's how I feel about this too. I expect to get it, try it out a few times and revel in the pixelated wish-fulfillment of basically having "TMNT Arcade" but with more playable characters.

After that it will become a chore to play and hopefully I got my mild entertainment out of it. It's clearly not a life-changing game, but more of the "wish fulfillment from childhood" merchandise that generation X has been seeing for the last 5 years or so.

oldmanwinters 06-16-2022 09:42 AM

I have the game running through PC Game Pass. Seems to be running fine so far. My Microsoft tag is DopiestCrab5968, but I probably won't have a large block of free time until after 5pm ET tonight.

shredder orokusaki 06-16-2022 10:13 AM

i Now upload two videos. In the first you will see my foot ninjas killing the turtles. In the second you will see Bebop killiing them!!!
hERE IS MY FOOT NINJAS KILLING THEM!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtSaruCw7pY

Icebot 06-16-2022 10:22 AM

I just started playing my first game. I’m starting small on easy mode. So far I beat the first 2 levels, I’m really excited to see the rest of the game! I’m playing it on the Switch.

Andrew NDB 06-16-2022 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Blade (Post 1934110)
You probably despise it so much cause it’s OT, like you always do hating on anything OT lmao. :tlol:

Not really. And I don't despise it at all -- I've said I'll be playing it. What I'm responding to is you guys pretending like a somewhat spruced up arcade game from 1989 is going to be same thing as, like, Rockstar dropping Grand Theft Auto VI.

It's hysterical and stupid.

Quote:

The game has been trending a lot and still is trending right now on twitter.
Yeah, by our fellow mid-30s/40s guys who played the old games.

Quote:

Word of mouth is good for this game so far.
Word of mouth will get people to take a look at the game. Once they take a look younger gamers will be like, "Oh, it's that? Nevermind. I'm not 90 years-old."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1934111)
He also has this weird mad-on against the entire brawler genre

I look at it like, you know, take your Contra-type 2D sidescroller shooter games. They can be fun, they can be polished for modern consoles... but they're still inherently a relic and new ones of it will never make anywhere close to mega-millions. Gamers today outside of little niche pockets expect more than to be walking in a line and pressing a couple of buttons. I hate to be the one to break it to you. There's been advancements. With those advancements, increased expectations.

Quote:

as well as just has proven time and time again he doesn't know a goddamn thing about video games in general.
That's pretty weird to say, considering how much I've played over the decades. And I have every system. And just about every month I'm playing a brand new game. Even now, I'm playing the f*** out of the new Evil Dead game, and it's awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1934113)
But I also do think some people are over-selling it and maybe setting expectations too high.

You think?

Quote:

He seemingly cares way more about things like graphics and modern tech/mechanics than I do or ever will but that's a guy's prerogative. He's been gaming at least almost as long as I have, if not as long (I started around '85 at the latest) so I know he knows about the old school, even if he prefers the new school.
It's not about what I like, I'm merely commenting on the perceived impact this game is going to have. Most video gamers are not people in their 40s who want to throw money at the kind of games we played in 1992. I have no idea why this is somehow crazy talk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMJ (Post 1934139)
After that it will become a chore to play and hopefully I got my mild entertainment out of it. It's clearly not a life-changing game, but more of the "wish fulfillment from childhood" merchandise that generation X has been seeing for the last 5 years or so.

Yeah. That's fair to say. Like "Double Dragon 4" or something. And people don't like when I bring it up, but if there was this huge thirst for something like "Shredder's Revenge" from average gamers from today, surely "Turtles in Time: Re-Shelled" for the then-next gen consoles would have done more than go "plop!" when it came out. And that was in 2009. It's 2022. Are we to think that more people want games like that since 2009, and not even less?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaParade (Post 1934115)
Andrew, I think you’re overthinking this. It’s a fun, high-quality game that people can enjoy.

No sh**. Where am I saying that it's not? I'm just saying it's not going to be the second coming of Moses, and you guys are saying I'm wrong.

Now, I'm sure it will sell well within the modest expectations of the developer. And it was smart to include the collector's market with the more expensive edition, as I'm sure they'll sell at least a couple hundred of it.

AquaParade 06-16-2022 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1934127)
I will try to get the Steam version running today. There is crossplay, right?

Good question. I think it's on PC Gamepass...so maybe.

Edit: Andrew, I think you're exaggerating my/our point to make your point.

No one expects this to sell like Grand Theft Auto, or even the hottest AAA game of the month, but it's fair to say the game is getting a lot of attention and will probably outdo itself, in terms of engagement. If you don't think this game is getting a lot of hype in the gaming community, you're not looking in the right places.
And remember, your FB feed is not a good indicator of anything except how crazy the people you associate yourself with are.

So in regards to how the game will be received, I'm not sure what your point is. Is it "This game won't sell as much as you expect! It's not going to sell as many copies as the highest selling game of all time, GTA."
I mean, no one has actually indicated exactly how well they think this game will do, so telling everyone "it won't sell as much as you think" is sort of dumb.

shredder orokusaki 06-16-2022 11:00 AM

AND ??RE YOU SEE BEBOP KILLING THE TURTLES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPilWR9lZM

AquaParade 06-16-2022 12:43 PM

I played one level and it kicks the crap out of Turtles in Time. The gameplay is more engaging, and if they ramp it up from here, it’s going to be legit fun.

The gameplay just isn’t that engaging in the old TMNT games, imo. This actually feels like it takes some thought. There are more options at your disposal in terms of combat - a bigger move set.
There are three difficulty levels, though I’m not yet sure how they’re balanced.
And obviously everything looks and sounds great.

Solid first impression. Really happy with it.

oldmanwinters 06-16-2022 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaParade (Post 1934159)
I played one level and it kicks the crap out of Turtles in Time. The gameplay is more engaging, and if they ramp it up from here, it’s going to be legit fun.

I dunno... I think the gameplay is over-reliant on the backflip, which is pretty much temporary invincibility except for holes or stage obstacles.

Don't get me wrong, the game's great! But I don't yet know which game I'd prefer to play if I could only have one for all eternity.

Andrew NDB 06-16-2022 01:17 PM

Has anybody tried online multiplayer yet?

Aaronardo 06-16-2022 01:31 PM

I played a few levels between classes and I'm much happier with it than I thought I would be upon release. It's very fanservicey, but it's maybe the best piece of OT fanservice since the end of that show's run.

It's like a proper sequel to Turtles in Time, taking some of the mainstay mechanics from modern beat-em-ups and implementing them into the gameplay that was already there. The result is one of the most fast-paced games in the genre I've ever played. Since the base moveset is expanded, the game has greater depth right out the gate and the pace of the game is entirely dependent on the player's skill. It's basically what a good beat-em-up should be, and at this point with TMNT games we're extremely lucky to get one like this.

And the fanservice. Oh, the fanservice. Not spoiling any bosses but they really had to dig for a couple of these which was a nice surprise. Getting the original Turtle VAs greatly added to the authenticity and finally getting to hear a hearty "Go Green Machine!" from them all in a game was a treat. Unsure why Peter Renaday isn't here since he's still an active VA, but his stand-in doesn't make any attempt to sound like him. Same deal with Shredder, KMR was probably busy but yeesh, this VA sounded like what you'd hear in an unfinished story reel before the actors are brought in.

The soundtrack is really well done too. It takes musical cues from both arcade games' soundtracks but doesn't use them as crutches. It has a character of its own despite still sounding like an old TMNT arcade game, which is extremely hard to do so hats off once again to Tee Lopes (who has been on a roll with this kind of stuff for years now).

Yeah, it would be great to get some big-budget Arkham-style TMNT game, or something in that vein. If the property were in any way Viacom's priority right now, we'd probably be talking about it right now. But in this dormant state of the property, just about any video game probably would be fanservicey in some manner anyway. Just by virtue of "hey, remember the TMNT?" This certainly isn't that game, and excitement around it will probably die down quick in the coming weeks, as is usually the case for even the best sidescrolling beat-em-ups. But for what it is, it's my favorite Turtles game.

Leo656 06-16-2022 01:57 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun, really looking forward to playing it.

In the meantime though I'll probably fire up Hyperstone Heist for the first time, pretty soon. :trazz: Never played it!

oldmanwinters 06-16-2022 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1934168)
Sounds like a lot of fun, really looking forward to playing it.

In the meantime though I'll probably fire up Hyperstone Heist for the first time, pretty soon. :trazz: Never played it!

I have long loved Turtles on Sega, but I usually get a little fatigued the second time I have to play through a "cave stage." "The Gauntlet" is the section of the game where you really get the feeling the dev team ran out of time to add more content and just had to "boss rush" the game out to make the corporate mandated release date.

I believe a truly dedicated Turtles Genesis game could have been something really special, considering what Konami did with Rocket Knight/Sparkster, Contra Hard Corps, and Castlevania on the platform. Even Tiny Toon Adventures feels like it had more development time than Hyperstone.