The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What if the Archie comics kept goin? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=25071)

Coola Yagami 09-08-2008 11:52 AM

What if the Archie comics kept goin?

I kinda wish the DW or hell, even the older Archie comic stuck around. I mean... had the Archies kept goin, would they have eventually introduced Lord Dregg? Venus? Hun and the new Foot symbol once the 2K3 series hit? I mean, due to the popularity of Karai in the new series, we might have finally seen Karai in the Archie comics battling against the more 80-ish turtles... or hell, would the turtles' attitudes change to reflect the new cartoon? Would some issue have had Shredder or someone destroy the Turtle Van to give Don an excuse to make the Battle Shell? Or would they have had some kind of TMNT embargo when suddenly all the mutants and such from the old show would suddenly vanish after certain number of issues to bring in the 2K3 cast? This reminds me of the STILL ongoing Sonic comic in which it was first based on Sonic 1-3 and the cartoons aired at the time... then basically went on doing whatever it wanted during the Sonic hiatus making up ner characters galore... and then started crammin in all the newer cast once the Sonic Adventures games hit.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 09-08-2008 12:41 PM

Archie rocked

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 632592)
I kinda wish the DW or hell, even the older Archie comic stuck around. I mean... had the Archies kept goin, would they have eventually introduced Lord Dregg? Venus? Hun and the new Foot symbol once the 2K3 series hit? I mean, due to the popularity of Karai in the new series, we might have finally seen Karai in the Archie comics battling against the more 80-ish turtles... or hell, would the turtles' attitudes change to reflect the new cartoon? Would some issue have had Shredder or someone destroy the Turtle Van to give Don an excuse to make the Battle Shell? Or would they have had some kind of TMNT embargo when suddenly all the mutants and such from the old show would suddenly vanish after certain number of issues to bring in the 2K3 cast? This reminds me of the STILL ongoing Sonic comic in which it was first based on Sonic 1-3 and the cartoons aired at the time... then basically went on doing whatever it wanted during the Sonic hiatus making up ner characters galore... and then started crammin in all the newer cast once the Sonic Adventures games hit.

I wish Archie was still on. The Archie comics rocked!

Andrew NDB 09-08-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 632592)
had the Archies kept goin, would they have eventually introduced Lord Dregg? Venus? Hun and the new Foot symbol once the 2K3 series hit?

No, probably not.

DrSpengler 09-08-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 632638)
No, probably not.

Indeed. Especially considering the plethora of Playmates toys that were never incorporated into the book (Dr. El, Scratch, Mutagen Man, Muck Man, Monty Moose, Halfcourt, Sandstorm, Antrax...the list goes on).

TMNT Adventures was pretty inconsistent about introducing characters from outside sources and after the first 30 issues or so, stopped making it apriority.

So even if the book had continued on to today, there's no guarantee Venus or Hun or anybody else from other TMNT material would have been featured.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 09-08-2008 03:18 PM

Ninjara

Archie had some fantastic characters, like Ninjara, thay I would like to see in the 1987 cartoon.

Mr._Mutant_Man 09-09-2008 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J 1982 (Post 632650)
Archie had some fantastic characters, like Ninjara, thay I would like to see in the 1987 cartoon.

I was never a big fan of Ninjara.

I liked the Mutanimals though and I thought it was pretty weird when they were killed off. Not the kind of thing I expected from the generally more kid friendly Archie comics.

Jon 09-09-2008 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr._Mutant_Man (Post 632752)
I liked the Mutanimals though and I thought it was pretty weird when they were killed off. Not the kind of thing I expected from the generally more kid friendly Archie comics.

Yeah, the whole "Terracide" story-arc was quite a slaughterfest. With the Mutanimals, the Gang of Four, Maligna, Skul, Bean, a bunch of Malignoids, and Slash killed in the span of 3 issues.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 09-09-2008 08:14 AM

Kids

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon (Post 632755)
Yeah, the whole "Terracide" story-arc was quite a slaughterfest. With the Mutanimals, the Gang of Four, Maligna, Skul, Bean, a bunch of Malignoids, and Slash killed in the span of 3 issues.

I was 12 at the time, and I thought it was something that never happened before (this is a comic book where characters are killed off!). Back then I thought all comic books had kids as main target and the Archie comics had.

CudleyCowlick 09-09-2008 08:22 AM

If they had kept going... then I would have kept buying.

The Archies were my first introduction to TMNT comics, it was in fact an issue of Mutanimals that my grandfather brought home for me at the age of about 7 or 8. I started following that, but was really peeved when it was cancelled, of course at the time I didn't know it was cancelled, just that I couldn't find it anymore. But I did start following TMNT at the same time, since it was also available on the spinner rack at the store down the road.

I loved all those stories, and the wealth of characters that weren't on the toon, they just had so much action. It wasn't for another few years that my older cousin would turn me onto Mirage Volume One, and although that rocked my world, I'm always gonna remember the Archies as my first TMNT comics.

Jon 09-09-2008 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J 1982 (Post 632762)
I was 12 at the time, and I thought it was something that never happened before (this is a comic book where characters are killed off!). Back then I thought all comic books had kids as main target and the Archie comics had.

Yeah, I was rather surprised too. Though they had a character killed way back in issue 16, the "Terracide" story-arc went many steps further. With such a large amount of characters (many of them having appeared alot through the TMNT Adventures series - and the Mutanimals having their own comic too) meeting such brutal ends.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 09-09-2008 09:55 AM

Donatello

I also recall the Japanese gods Izanagi and Izanami. I always felt sorry for Donatello and wondered how he would feel. While the 1987 cartoon was a science fiction show, with Donatello's inventions and understandings of physics as a major part of the show, the Arcie comics were more about the "mystic" with Japanese religion and other stuff with magic the Asians believed in centuries ago (at least when the TMNT visited Asia). All these things are what Donatello, as the most science-interested of the TMNT, is not supposed to belive in. I think this http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/archie/31/31.htm deals with Donatello's reaction.

Jon 09-09-2008 11:16 AM

Yes, I recall them too. As well as the demon Noi-Tai-Dar, and the demonic nature of Null.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 09-09-2008 11:42 AM

1987 cartoon

The 1987 cartoon would be cancelled directly if any Earthling had been killed off (some aliens were killed off, like the monster in "Splinter No More" and some of Krang's rock soldiers, even if they were living beings, they were from other plants). Shredder blew up the Channel 6 News station in the 1994 season. Imagine if Splinter didn't manage to save April and/or Irma.

Coola Yagami 09-09-2008 01:32 PM

Well it would be hard to ay either way. I mean, from another point of view, characters like Mondo Gecko and such were based off of Playmates toys, so who knows, maybe some of the 2K3 characters could have made it in. Hell, they could have done stuff with the Alien Hunter toyline and such as 3-issue storyarcs, rather than making it a whole season like Fast Forward did.

Also did it seem they knew the series was coming to an end and making preperations? I mean the massive slaughter of lots of TMNT characters in one blow, the stories like Future Shark Trilogy, Eye of Sarnath, the Forever War has yet to see print and that future story that gave closure to Verminator X.... the Raph/Ninjara break up, they were all kinda epic conclusion type stuff. I mean, I don't even know what else they could have done with Shredder after the shark trilogy. Did Null ever show off his final demonic form?

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 09-09-2008 01:40 PM

Null

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 632820)
Well it would be hard to ay either way. I mean, from another point of view, characters like Mondo Gecko and such were based off of Playmates toys, so who knows, maybe some of the 2K3 characters could have made it in. Hell, they could have done stuff with the Alien Hunter toyline and such as 3-issue storyarcs, rather than making it a whole season like Fast Forward did.

Also did it seem they knew the series was coming to an end and making preperations? I mean the massive slaughter of lots of TMNT characters in one blow, the stories like Future Shark Trilogy, Eye of Sarnath, the Forever War has yet to see print and that future story that gave closure to Verminator X.... the Raph/Ninjara break up, they were all kinda epic conclusion type stuff. I mean, I don't even know what else they could have done with Shredder after the shark trilogy. Did Null ever show off his final demonic form?

I recall Null being seein in his monster form.

Coola Yagami 09-09-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J 1982 (Post 632823)
I recall Null being seein in his monster form.

Did they ever finish him off before the series ended?

Jon 09-09-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 632825)
Did they ever finish him off before the series ended?

Nope, infact Null's last appearence was during "Terracide" (escaping Maligna's doomed ship). He didn't appear after that.

Raph's Girl 09-09-2008 02:40 PM

I for one would have loved a continuation of TMNT Adventures and Steve Murphy has said that if Forever War is popular enough Mirage might continue TMNT Adventures! :D

There was a proposed Mighty Mutanimals animated series in the 90's that included Ninjara on the team. I wish it had gotten off the ground. Woulda been awesome.

To me it doesn't seem fair. The Archie Sonic comics started at the same time as TMNT Adventures and THAT's still going strong! WTF?! Stupid hedgehog...*mumbles*

Coola Yagami 09-09-2008 02:53 PM

And like I said... Sonic kept going even after that huge haitus after Soni & Knuckles and Knuckles Chaotix ended the older series. During the 5 or so year gap before they released Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast or whatever, the comic kept going strong with all new characters and villians so they wouldn't have to use Robotnik all the time. And we all know the Archie TMNT comics had more than enough villians than just the Shredder to throw around.

Cipher 09-09-2008 03:17 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't want to see the TMNT: Adventures continue after Forever War? I just want to see it have a conclusion, and get re-released in trade paperbacks.

Leave it with a strong ending and be done, I say. That's something that American comics have never really seemed to be in the habit of, though.