The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   IDW + Tokka? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59186)

***First of Two Latin Kings*** 11-27-2017 06:35 AM

IDW + Tokka?

Would you like to see an issue of the IDW TMNT written and illustrated by longtime fan Tokka, who is a member here?

Tokka is an amazing graphic artist and his writing style is about as unique and indie as it gets.

At very least, I would like to see a back up story in TMNT Universe written and illustrated by him. Tokka did a pin up years ago that was published in the back of an issue of Tales of the TMNT Volume 2. This doesn't make him Mirage Alumni per se, but a number of people who did work for Mirage have also done work for IDW. Sophie Campbell is one example.

I can only imagine how amazing an entire issue with him at the helm would be.

If you guys also want this, I need you to write letters to IDW publishing.

Let the suits know that we want to make TMNT indie again, even if just for one issue.

neatoman 11-27-2017 08:15 AM

I mean you could just give Tokka a shoutout in the editor's thread, Bobby is even asking us for reader's mail again, why not give him a shoutout there and the mail page?

Sabacooza 11-27-2017 08:16 AM

I have nothing against the guy but his style doesn't suit it so no, not really.

I'd rather see Tristan Jones and Paul Harmon do something again.

Powder 11-27-2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabacooza (Post 1731287)
I have nothing against the guy but his style doesn't suit it so no, not really.

This. He's a cool dude whose efforts to preserve & honor TMNT history are deserving of respect/acknowledgement in the fan community (his Mirage pin-up being just the ticket), but it wouldn't entitle him to something like this even if his style were more traditionally fitting for the format.

pl212 11-27-2017 09:41 AM

I'm sure MANY of us here on the forum would love a shot at that opportunity, including myself. :tgrin:

oldmanwinters 11-27-2017 11:45 AM

I'm all for it as a one-shot or even scenes in a story. IDW does a fine job integrating different art styles depending on the context, as evidenced most recently by the eclectic pace of the Ghostbusters/TMNT II crossover.

***First of Two Latin Kings*** 11-28-2017 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1731289)
This. He's a cool dude whose efforts to preserve & honor TMNT history are deserving of respect/acknowledgement in the fan community (his Mirage pin-up being just the ticket), but it wouldn't entitle him to something like this even if his style were more traditionally fitting for the format.

By this logic neither does the person currently doing the back-up story in Universe.

Powder 11-28-2017 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** (Post 1731483)
By this logic neither does the person currently doing the back-up story in Universe.

What are you even talking about? Sophie? Mike? They're killing it at IDW consistently, why wouldn't they do shorts when they're established, talented, fan-favorites, & reliable?

***First of Two Latin Kings*** 11-28-2017 07:54 AM

They've gone out on a limb and hired artists with less mainstream styles to do the back up stories in Universe. That's all I am saying.

I suppose I should be trying to garner support for this elsewhere.

Sabacooza 11-28-2017 08:13 AM

Why is he more deserving than anyone else though? There are tons of other artists that would fit the bill with a more appropriate style and the knowledge to lay down solid sequential art.

You also have to factor in sales. How many people would pick up a book when the art is such an aquired taste? While a die hard fan might tolerate the art style, a casual certainly wouldn't.

Andrew NDB 12-01-2017 05:03 PM

I'd be a big advocate of Tokka getting some IDW work.

Ninjinister 12-01-2017 06:54 PM

Just like with Dr. Spengs' work on variant covers, I am more than happy to advocate the folks who have been important to the fan side of the series getting some sort of officially published work.

funatic 12-02-2017 11:51 AM

Would love to see some Tokka variant covers. I haven't seen any sequential comic art by him. Does anyone have links to examples?

***First of Two Latin Kings*** 12-03-2017 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1732222)

There's a lot of context that people here are lacking if the main response has been "why him and not me?"

Powder 12-03-2017 02:15 PM

Literally no one has said that, though.

Coola Yagami 12-18-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabacooza (Post 1731512)
Why is he more deserving than anyone else though? There are tons of other artists that would fit the bill with a more appropriate style and the knowledge to lay down solid sequential art.

You also have to factor in sales. How many people would pick up a book when the art is such an aquired taste? While a die hard fan might tolerate the art style, a casual certainly wouldn't.

We've put up with Lawson's style... somehow...

Powder 12-18-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1735347)
We've put up with Lawson's style... somehow...

Lawson is a legend, take that "we" crap out of here.

***First of Two Latin Kings*** 12-29-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1732222)

He's going to keep working towards what he deserves, whether the fandom is on board or not. Several of the artists already getting work from IDW are supporting him.

Lord Nightwalker 12-29-2018 03:45 PM

I say yes. Let his perseverance pay off. Look at all the artist who contributed to the TMNT back in the Mirage days. The man can do it.

Candy Kappa 12-29-2018 03:56 PM

I'd love to see tOkKa work with IDW