The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Game Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=63728)

Sumac 07-28-2022 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1939624)
Hence my vote of 3D. Not because "modurn graphx are btr" but because most people have 4K or at least 1080p TVs and have for well over 15 years now and 360p is ridiculous. Outside of "I want to fully indulge retro as it was in 1994."

I don't masturbate to graphics, so I can't understand it.

Andrew NDB 07-28-2022 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumac (Post 1939672)
I don't masturbate to graphics, so I can't understand it.

So you would have no problem watching VHS tapes on your modern flatscreen HD or 4K TV? OK, if you say so, but far and away you're in the minority.

Leo656 07-28-2022 02:03 PM

I've never tried watching a VHS on my flatscreen but I can say that pre-HD video game stuff doesn't bug me at all. I know it's not as "crisp" to play SNES or Genesis or Gamecube or whatever games on the actual original hardware and a modern HD TV, but it definitely doesn't bug me in the least.

The only stuff that looks kinda crummy is NES stuff and that always looked like it was filtered through a sheet of wet newspaper even back in the day. Still, I can live with it.

oldmanwinters 07-28-2022 02:39 PM

I hate CRT filers on modern HD screens, but I still love playing games on actual CRTs (but to be honest, even with CRTS I prefer the flatscreen models to the traditional curved glass).

Sumac 07-28-2022 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1939679)
So you would have no problem watching VHS tapes on your modern flatscreen HD or 4K TV? OK, if you say so, but far and away you're in the minority.

I get used to being in minority, so, yes, I will be completely OK with watching VHS on my modern screen. As long as I can see something and its in color (if it is supposed to be in color) - I am game for that.

On my side, I can say everyone who chase 8000k, even though they won't be able to see any difference between that and 4000k or dismiss whole styles, just, because, they don't feel their precious ULTRA HD DELUXE MOTHER****ING90000 1080K 4000K ULTRA MEGA COLOR TV are overfed snobs to me, who should touch grass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1939709)
I hate CRT filers on modern HD screens, but I still love playing games on actual CRTs (but to be honest, even with CRTS I prefer the flatscreen models to the traditional curved glass).

CRT filters in anything are just atrocious. Especially scanlines.

Tuxedo Moroboshi 07-29-2022 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1939679)

I think a more apt comparison would be something animated like Disney's Aladdin or something animated like Pixar's The Incredibles. Sprites representing the former and 3D models representing the latter.

Higher resolution sprites are more than just "a better resolution", they're actually a lot more work to draw because they're much bigger. This is kind of why 3D models are favored more often is because they're cheaper and easier to work with. Stuff like Cuphead and Dragon's Crown are beautiful, but they're a huge investment of time and money to make. But even HD sprites often go underappreciated despite how much effort goes into them (see The King of Fighters XIII).

Andrew NDB 07-29-2022 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi (Post 1939826)
Higher resolution sprites are more than just "a better resolution", they're actually a lot more work to draw because they're much bigger.

I get where you're coming from but this kind of defeats your point. Pixels can be as big or as small as you want them to be. If you really want to do pixels in 1080p, 4K, whatnot, you CAN. It's just going to be hard, because it means there needs to be a whole lot more of them. You have to really, really want to do pixels if you want to approach it today. But it's a choice.

Look at something like "Return to Monkey Island." Ron Gilbert is old school as all can be. Monkey Island 1 and 2 are classics of the classics. Yet he's coming back after insurmountable odds to do a sequel, 30 years later, and it's in 3D. Yet the same kind of adventure interface and everyone is excited about it.

Tuxedo Moroboshi 07-29-2022 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1939832)
I get where you're coming from but this kind of defeats your point. Pixels can be as big or as small as you want them to be. If you really want to do pixels in 1080p, 4K, whatnot, you CAN. It's just going to be hard, because it means there needs to be a whole lot more of them. You have to really, really want to do pixels if you want to approach it today. But it's a choice.

Well, from my understanding (and as someone that's done pixel art many times, though as an amateur I've often skipped the first step), typically the way sprites tend to be made is that they're first sketched out as regular drawings, then converted to sprites by being drawn over pixel by pixel. If you're doing a higher resolution, yes, it's going to be a lot more pixels, but since each pixel is done one at a time by hand, it's a lot more time and effort for a single sprite. So, depending on how many frames of animation there are (and Shredder's Revenge has a LOT of them, waaaay more than the old TMNT games did), the difference between an SD res sprite and a 4K res sprite adds up astronomically in how long it takes to make.

So, you're not wrong. But I do feel like there's far less devs willing to go that extra mile just due to hand-drawn animation in modern games being less appreciated than something with 3D models, which is why games that use sprites seem to almost always be indie games and/or budget titles. Not too many devs have faith in the return of their investment for these kind of titles, either.

Quote:

Look at something like "Return to Monkey Island." Ron Gilbert is old school as all can be. Monkey Island 1 and 2 are classics of the classics. Yet he's coming back after insurmountable odds to do a sequel, 30 years later, and it's in 3D. Yet the same kind of adventure interface and everyone is excited about it.

That's not surprising, really. If anything, you prove my point that the average modern consumer prefers 3D models over 2D sprites because one is seen as modern and the other as old and therefore "bad". My argument isn't that there's anything inherently wrong about 3D graphics, or that 2D graphics are better (honestly, they're different stylistic choices, apples and oranges, imo). Just that 2D is a lot more work, and to do 2D in a higher res is even more work (and money). Especially if you want to use more frames of animation (which, with higher res graphics, you absolutely have to, or you get an ugly choppy mess like Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix).

Turo602 07-29-2022 02:38 AM

Quote:

Didn't people give him so much sh*t over the graphics and artstyle that he made a video saying he wasn't going to talk about the game anymore?

Sumac 07-29-2022 05:12 PM

Quote:

It is unlikely he did it to please 4000k 1080ppp crowd.
Besides, the game looks ugly and generic and whether it is 2D or 3D doesn't make any difference.

oldmanwinters 08-03-2022 09:16 AM

"Game Stability Patch" live for all platforms:
https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1554837323732246537
https://store.steampowered.com/news/...18358054122480

Ninjinister 08-03-2022 11:38 AM

I should probably finish the game as everyone before my Gamepass trial ends! I haven't played in a bit, not out of any distaste/bore of the game, but just because I've had other stuff going on :/

Icebot 08-03-2022 04:06 PM

I just updated the game on my system.

lonewarrior20 08-10-2022 05:07 AM

Finally got to play. It’s tough on your own but fun, got to level 6 with April in arcade mode for my first time on medium.

darthsmozers 08-10-2022 05:13 PM

Still waiting for that standard physical to ship :-?

Coola Yagami 08-13-2022 10:25 PM

Just did my first arcade playthrough (as opposed to always using story mode) and it was mostly all 6 players throughout. My god, after playing this so many times, the child in me is still ****ing smiling from ear to ear. ****ing love this game and all the callbacks and references not just to the show but to the older games themselves.

I'm also getting better in doing that high-five to split health and revive fallen members. I did a great job of carrying my team.

darthsmozers 08-16-2022 08:56 PM

Latest from Limited Run is this:
Standard now slated to ship in Sept (formerly Aug).
Classic and Radical skated to ship end of Q4 / early 2023.

Andrew NDB 08-16-2022 11:08 PM

It was fun for two or three days but I don't really have much of an urge to play it anymore.

RaphaelinSTL 08-17-2022 07:47 AM

I’ve put over 30 hours in it and I keep going back.

AquaParade 08-17-2022 09:29 AM

I'll go back if my friends and I want to kill some time next time we are online, but I definitely won't go back by myself. It's a fun co-op game, but loses much of it's appeal when played solo, or even with strangers, at least for me.

Like, it's cool to see all the new assets and the combat isn't braindead, which is great, but it's not very deep either.

While it's technically a visual improvement over the older beat-em-ups, I didn't latch onto it's art style as much. I actually prefer the visuals of Turtles in Time, which sort of surprised me. I do prefer the gameplay here though. I'm not sure I'll be able to enjoy Cowabunga Collection as much as this, but I'll try.

CyberCubed 08-17-2022 03:50 PM

I beat it with each character and will probably play it about once a year from now on. Obviously this isn't a game you play consistently since we're not all kids anymore and have other games to play too. But I definitely see this being a game I just replay once annually and just go through a runthrough of every level.

Coola Yagami 08-21-2022 06:23 PM

Didn't know where else to put this, but here's my review on the game. I know it took a while but I had a lot of people that wanted to to be in it and it took time to get everyone's scenes together. Plus it gave us time to soak it in and see if our opinions changed.

oldmanwinters 09-01-2022 01:05 PM

Ugh, Target just required me to approve a new estimated delivery date for the Switch physical copy of the game... AGAIN.

It's now scheduled between October 11-18.

Andrew NDB 09-03-2022 11:58 PM

So I was screwing around with the game again last night. Eh. Is the only way to multiplayer this game with people you know and are in your friend's list?

Powder 09-04-2022 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1943575)
So I was screwing around with the game again last night. Eh. Is the only way to multiplayer this game with people you know and are in your friend's list?

No, just look for the "Party up" option on the bottom of the screen, it'll throw you into a group of internet randos. I've done it a couple times.

Nickokapo 09-04-2022 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1943576)
No, just look for the "Party up" option on the bottom of the screen, it'll throw you into a group of internet randos. I've done it a couple times.

Just as he said, absolutely not--it's incredible, i could get at LEAST 4, but also up to 6 randos to just drop in.
They can drop in in-game...like mid-game, drop out whenever, whoever else can come in freely--it's great.

IMJ 09-04-2022 03:19 PM

I still haven't received this from Limited Run Games. By the time I do nobody will be playing it anymore... :lol:

TigerClaw 09-05-2022 10:34 AM

samxsteal 09-05-2022 05:33 PM

Its got alot of replay ability, been play this and cowabunga collection and this game make me want more inteally hope they work on a sequel or dlc it amazing and so much fun to play

darthsmozers 09-22-2022 08:33 PM

Limited Run said the physicals are slated to ship in Sept. Fingers crossed :ohwell:

oldmanwinters 09-22-2022 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthsmozers (Post 1945071)
Limited Run said the physicals are slated to ship in Sept. Fingers crossed :ohwell:

Lucky to have ‘em by Halloween!

oldmanwinters 10-10-2022 09:15 AM

Holy Cow, I just got my first "your item is ready to ship" email from Target on this game.

Chaotix12345 10-10-2022 11:52 AM

Meanwhile my Amazon pre-order's estimated date changed to November 7th despite the actual listing still saying tomorrow, so I don't even know anymore. Edit: Date on the listing just changed to the 18th, NEXT Tuesday and my estimate has switched to November 2ND. Still no clue.

oldmanwinters 10-12-2022 07:44 AM

Happy to finally receive my copy safely via UPS delivery. The game was only protected by padded envelope but that's become standard for single-order video games these days.

The Art booklet was a bit of a letdown, but expected. The art pages just used still captures of the opening animation sequence. Each playable character (minus Casey Jones) gets a basic stats page and many of the villains are lumped together on the remaining pages with some game sprites. So nothing in the booklet that I could find revealed any concept art not seen in-game.

Really cool to have the Pizza Hut code.

lonewarrior20 10-12-2022 05:59 PM

Had a weird glitch happen in the dimension x stage, the game got stuck with an enemy off screen with one of our players died and we couldn’t move on. Apparently we couldn’t leave until the one that gamed over hit leave.

oldmanwinters 10-21-2022 11:34 AM

Shredder's Revenge was very profitable but it was also a rare highlight for DotEmu's parent company this year:
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ion-in-revenue

(Let's hope that means they get very motivated to work out a deal for a sequel!)

Sumac 10-21-2022 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1947710)
Shredder's Revenge was very profitable but it was also a rare highlight for DotEmu's parent company this year:
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ion-in-revenue

(Let's hope that means they get very motivated to work out a deal for a sequel!)

Or at least meaty DLC.

I Crave Pizza No More 10-22-2022 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumac (Post 1947718)
Or at least meaty DLC.

For a game that takes maybe 5 hours to beat, I don't think there's going to be such a thing as a meaty DLC.

Sumac 10-22-2022 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More (Post 1947787)
For a game that takes maybe 5 hours to beat, I don't think there's going to be such a thing as a meaty DLC.

Relatively to the game itself, of course.

oldmanwinters 10-22-2022 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More (Post 1947787)

The SoR4 Dlc did not add new levels for story/arcade mode but the new characters, difficulty options, and most of all Nightmare Survival Mode added a ton more replay value to an already solid game.