The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Toy/Collectible Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Super 7 Turtle figures shown at Power Con (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=61758)

coreyrc87 04-21-2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_one (Post 1889604)
I don't think you should see it as a competition. NECA can do what it wants, it's a different company with different strategies. It is not a One winner/One looser situation.

This, 100%. I love both lines for what they are. I have problems (big and small) with both lines. But they're so different and scratch such a different nostalgia itch, and are at such different paces, sizes/styles, and price points, that I don't see them as competing lines.

italianice388 04-21-2021 11:17 PM

i agree, in part, but if people are keeping up with and buying up the torrent of neca tmnt figures, and super7 isn't releasing any...that just proof that the whole "we aren't releasing a lot of figures because people don't want that many that frequently" line is not true. neca doesn't share that philosophy, and as a result they are absolutely cashing in. super7 is making 0 right now.

i love both lines too. and i understand they're both different. but they're also both retro TMNT, so, let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things they are not that different. they largely are for the same target audience. but at the end of the day, if neca has 10 great figures that i want, and super7 has 2 or 3, and i have a limited budget, super7 is going to have a tough time getting anywhere near the same amount of money out of me as i'm giving to neca.

no matter how you want to cut it, super7's TMNT strategy is netting them less cash than neca's, and i'd argue by quite a bit. and this is coming from someone who really just at the end of the day wants super7 to put out more awesome tmnt ultimates, so i can collect all the greats from both super7 AND neca.

inaheap 04-22-2021 07:25 AM

The only new NECA Turtles I have are ones that were easy to order online; save a small few times I got lucky around the holidays. It really doesn't matter how many releases they do they are almost never on my store's shelves. When they truly solve that problem; then I will say they are taking Super7's money. Until then it is not that hard for me to save some for Super7.

Y2Josh 04-22-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by italianice388 (Post 1889630)
i agree, in part, but if people are keeping up with and buying up the torrent of neca tmnt figures, and super7 isn't releasing any...that just proof that the whole "we aren't releasing a lot of figures because people don't want that many that frequently" line is not true. neca doesn't share that philosophy, and as a result they are absolutely cashing in. super7 is making 0 right now.

i love both lines too. and i understand they're both different. but they're also both retro TMNT, so, let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things they are not that different. they largely are for the same target audience. but at the end of the day, if neca has 10 great figures that i want, and super7 has 2 or 3, and i have a limited budget, super7 is going to have a tough time getting anywhere near the same amount of money out of me as i'm giving to neca.

no matter how you want to cut it, super7's TMNT strategy is netting them less cash than neca's, and i'd argue by quite a bit. and this is coming from someone who really just at the end of the day wants super7 to put out more awesome tmnt ultimates, so i can collect all the greats from both super7 AND neca.

I can only speak for myself, but NECA is fast approaching the point where I don't actively WANT all the figures they're putting out, whereas Super7's (admittedly much more limited) offering hasn't neared that point. As an example, I'm really struggling to justify picking up the Ace Duck/Mutagen Man pack, as Ace is barely a cartoon character and I have no love of Mutagen Man.

To my eyes, NECA needs to let off the pedal a bit, because you're going to start seeing the "deep cuts" languish on the shelves (the Triceraton packs have been collecting dust at my Target since they re-released that wave back in... January, maybe?) as people with more limited incomes will choose to focus on the more classic characters.

I think both strategies are viable for now, but I worry more about NECA flooding the market with one-off characters that a lot of people won't want and ultimately killing off the line (ironically, I REALLY want them to make the old lady with the machine gun from the first episode).

inaheap 04-22-2021 01:32 PM

I agree NECA should bump the brakes a bit. I don't see these in store much if at all. But I know there are some I have already said if it doesn't show up in store or for preorder I'm passing. I would have passed on the Triceratons accept the 2 pack showed in my store in January, and the Rodney set was in the April preorders. Same for Traag n Granitor.

All that said it would be OK if Super7 would stop waiting through delays and such to announce preorders for their next wave(s). I get what Brian Flynn is saying but Ultimates have been around for a while now. I think people have a general idea of what they are. Especially for lines that are 1 or 2 waves in hand already.

italianice388 04-22-2021 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Josh (Post 1889676)
I can only speak for myself, but NECA is fast approaching the point where I don't actively WANT all the figures they're putting out, whereas Super7's (admittedly much more limited) offering hasn't neared that point. As an example, I'm really struggling to justify picking up the Ace Duck/Mutagen Man pack, as Ace is barely a cartoon character and I have no love of Mutagen Man.

To my eyes, NECA needs to let off the pedal a bit, because you're going to start seeing the "deep cuts" languish on the shelves (the Triceraton packs have been collecting dust at my Target since they re-released that wave back in... January, maybe?) as people with more limited incomes will choose to focus on the more classic characters.

I think both strategies are viable for now, but I worry more about NECA flooding the market with one-off characters that a lot of people won't want and ultimately killing off the line (ironically, I REALLY want them to make the old lady with the machine gun from the first episode).

agreed, man. the bottom line of what i'm trying to say is, neca could maybe slow down a little, but super7 should absolutely speed up.

teemu 04-22-2021 01:45 PM

I wonder how "Ultimates" will do since the new pricing is $55 each

I personally like that NECA is giving us a ton of TMNT product and this year hitting all those final cool characters like Dirtbag and Groundchuk.

Ace Duck and Mutagen Man are tops!

inaheap 04-22-2021 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by italianice388 (Post 1889696)
agreed, man. the bottom line of what i'm trying to say is, neca could maybe slow down a little, but super7 should absolutely speed up.

This is very true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teemu (Post 1889700)

Doesn't bother me.

mikey see 04-22-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teemu (Post 1889700)

Personally, it changes my approach to the line quite a bit. I've been all-in so far, even ordering Shredder and April (two figures that I think are pretty dull). At $55 apiece I'll need to start skipping some sooner than I had originally planned. Price increases for toys are not uncommon but we're only four waves in and we're seeing a... well... math... 20%? 23%? A sizeable increase. $40 extra per wave is almost the cost of an entire figure at the original price. That's hard to ignore.

AquaParade 04-22-2021 02:30 PM

Have they hinted recently at where they want this line to go? Are they in it for the long haul when it comes to the old toy line, or might we see them tackle other types of TMNT figures?

SleepDrifter 04-22-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaParade (Post 1889716)
Have they hinted recently at where they want this line to go? Are they in it for the long haul when it comes to the old toy line, or might we see them tackle other types of TMNT figures?

Line is going deep as long as we are supporting. A lot of us are. They’ve hinted we might see some Archie Mutanimals in the style of the OG Playmates. That would be pretty tiiiiiiight.

Turtle variant(s) confirmed! A little too soon for my taste but who am I kidding they’re gonna be cool AF.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CN_GQqkF...=19jilibep4uz6

teemu 04-22-2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepDrifter (Post 1889752)
Line is going deep as long as we are supporting. A lot of us are. They’ve hinted we might see some Archie Mutanimals in the style of the OG Playmates. That would be pretty tiiiiiiight.

Turtle variant(s) confirmed! A little too soon for my taste but who am I kidding they’re gonna be cool AF.

guess Flynn can't make up his mind. Well that will be $55 saved

Hopefully a Leatherhead and Traag Appearance in this wave

Otter 04-22-2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepDrifter (Post 1889752)

I might get Samurai Leo to swap the swords with the original release's. His curved blades bug me so much I was going to display him with them sheathed.

I wonder when Super7 will show us their updated April

mikey0 04-22-2021 06:00 PM

Will S7 be repainting the Ultimate Raphael Playmates head for this Ultimate Leo, The Sewer Samurai or new head?

frank_one 04-22-2021 06:41 PM

New head or same head(s) of the previous Leo figure. I wouldn't like them using heads from different turtles with color corrected bandana and skin. It would be... weird.
I also hope the samurai helmet will be removable.

mikey0 04-22-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_one (Post 1889772)
New head or same head(s) of the previous Leo figure. I wouldn't like them using heads from different turtles with color corrected bandana and skin. It would be... weird.
I also hope the samurai helmet will be removable.

The original Leo, the Sewer Samurai had a repainted version of the original basic Raphael head for a head, but S7 will most likely use a new head.

frank_one 04-22-2021 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey0 (Post 1889783)
The original Leo, the Sewer Samurai had a repainted version of the original basic Raphael head for a head, but S7 will mostly likely use a new head.

Really? I had both figures as a kid and never actually noticed they shared the same head! So, I guess this makes things a bit different. They could use Raph's head after all. It would make sense and save Super7 some money. Nothing against it.

italianice388 04-22-2021 08:55 PM

i'm a little bummed out to see a variant this early. i know some of you were hoping to see this, so i'm happy for you all!

still, with the trickle of ultimates as slow as it is, this just means that it's going to take much longer to see all of the awesome mutants like antrax, merdude, scumbug, ray fillet, and so on.

mikey0 04-22-2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_one (Post 1889786)
Really? I had both figures as a kid and never actually noticed they shared the same head! So, I guess this makes things a bit different. They could use Raph's head after all. It would make sense and save Super7 some money. Nothing against it.

The only difference is the top of the head. Leo, the Sewer Samurai had the Samurai helmet attached to the head sculpt, but the facial expression is the exact same one as the basic Raphael.

The Sewer Samurai Leo ReAction figure had a different facial expression from the Raphael ReAction figure, so the Ultimate Sewer Samurai Leo will probably have a new head.

Tuxedo Moroboshi 04-22-2021 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey0 (Post 1889790)
The Sewer Samurai Leo ReAction figure had a different facial expression from the Raphael ReAction figure, so the Ultimate Sewer Samurai Leo will probably have a new head.

That's right. Interesting...