The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Squaw Valley has been renamed Palisades Tahoe (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=64347)

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 09-16-2021 04:57 AM

Squaw Valley has been renamed Palisades Tahoe

In February 1960, the Olympic Winter Games were held in Squaw Valley, a winter sports resort in California in the United States of America.

Now, in September 2021, the name of the skiing resort has been renamed Palisades Tahoe, as the term "Squaw" has been considered sexist and racial against women of Native American tribes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58563002

IndigoErth 09-16-2021 08:36 AM

Well the word has been a slur for a long, long time, so I'm surprised it didn't happen a couple decades ago. I'm sure some will find it another opportunity to get upset over "social justice," liberals changing things, or whatnot, but really... anyone who has zero connection to it and would have probably never visited can get over themselves.

1987 09-16-2021 09:52 PM

“everything woke turns to $hit” - DJT

Coola Yagami 09-17-2021 12:07 AM

WTF is a Squaw? A slur for what? Whore I'm guessing?

It's getting to the point I actually need this **** explained to me so I can see how it's 'problematic'.

IndigoErth 09-17-2021 09:43 AM

It has been a slur against Native women forever, not at all anything new, where have you been.

Coola Yagami 09-17-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1906071)
It has been a slur against Native women forever, not at all anything new, where have you been.

Never having met a Native American and never having even heard the word, idk. Not really anything that has ever reached by doorstep unlike other slurs where people built careers using it on every other verse if ever song.

ChosenOne 09-17-2021 12:34 PM

Well, since we're going all-in on the ridiculousness... Black House when?

IndigoErth 09-17-2021 12:40 PM

Yes, doing that with names of things with colors in them that were never associated with human skin tones is ridiculous and a bit of a stretch, unlike this particular topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1906081)
Never having met a Native American and never having even heard the word, idk.

Huh. To be fair, I guess it supposedly originated with a word from a northeast tribe (or an English corruption of a word), so maybe it was still less heard about in other regions years ago. Assuming you aren't in this region.

I remember hearing about that word back in the day as a kid, not in use locally, but probably just through similar sources that got the message across that the "black face" thing was likewise cringy and messed up.

Side note... powwows open to the public are fun and make a fun family (or friend) day trip if you can catch one within driving distance.

Coola Yagami 09-17-2021 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChosenOne (Post 1906086)
Well, since we're going all-in on the ridiculousness... Black House when?

Black and White House whenever Hogan wins the presidency, playing the nWo music as he's inaugurated, BROTHERRR!!

1987 09-17-2021 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1906088)
Yes, doing that with names of things with colors in them that were never associated with human skin tones is ridiculous and a bit of a stretch, unlike this particular topic.

cancel culture IS STILL cancel culture. why does this only bother you now?

woke liberal leftards are destroying America one small step at a time.

Coola Yagami 09-17-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1987 (Post 1906115)

It's what they call 'making a difference' and 'being on the right side of history'.

IndigoErth 09-17-2021 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1987 (Post 1906115)

Because racist and sexist bulls*** is still racist and sexist bulls*** and has always been racist and sexist bulls*** no matter how long something has allowed to be a thing nor how long you lived life not knowing about it nor caring about the name of that place.

ChosenOne 09-17-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1906088)

That's the point. All of it is ridiculous and (more than) a bit of a stretch. No amount of renaming is going to erase all the bad things settlers and Natives did to each other, and it certainly won't ease any of the lingering tensions between them. This is just the usual suspects paying lip service so they'll look good for the cameras. All flash, no substance. Gimme a break. You can't erase the past, but you can sure as hell and might as well learn from it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1906097)
Black and White House whenever Hogan wins the presidency, playing the nWo music as he's inaugurated, BROTHERRR!!

Assuming the place is still standing by the time the next election rolls around.

Warhorse 09-17-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1906071)

I have an uncle, an aunt and a best friend who are all Native Americans and I spent some time on a reservation near the Florida everglades and never heard of this word till now.

ChosenOne 09-17-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhorse (Post 1906130)
I have an uncle, an aunt and a best friend who are all Native Americans and I spent some time on a reservation near the Florida everglades and never heard of this word till now.

Actual racists know all the best slurs. They make like the Batsignal and project.

Leo656 09-17-2021 11:40 PM

I confess I'm a bit perplexed at the recent kowtowing to Native American/American Indian feelings.

There's like seven of them left, must we enact sweeping changes every time one of them is offended? :trazz:

Bad enough I can't watch "Major League" anymore without it feeling somehow "dirty".

Coola Yagami 09-19-2021 06:44 AM

I mean, unless all of us pack up and invade some other country leaving the Natives to slowly repopulate, there's really no point.

It reminds us of the 'colonizer' slur, because literally ALL of us (in America) are. I know they're trying to make this into a white slur but I sure don't see all of the POC packing up to return to their country of origin either.

neatoman 09-19-2021 07:00 AM

I think Bioshock Infinite was the first time I heard of this word. Skip to 5:42.

Leo656 09-19-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1906256)
I think Bioshock Infinite was the first time I heard of this word. Skip to 5:42.

That is such a goddamn good game.

Prowler 09-19-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1906255)
I mean, unless all of us pack up and invade some other country leaving the Natives to slowly repopulate, there's really no point.

It reminds us of the 'colonizer' slur, because literally ALL of us (in America) are. I know they're trying to make this into a white slur but I sure don't see all of the POC packing up to return to their country of origin either.

Reminds me of some Brazilians online giving Portugal **** for colonising Brazil and slaughtering its native population... and then you look at the names of said Brazilians and they have super Portuguese names like António Silva. So they descend from Portuguese colonisers and yet hate Portugal? :lol: