The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   General TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Remember Groundchuck, Dirtbag, and Chromedome? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=7404)

raphael90 01-30-2004 11:29 PM

Remember Groundchuck, Dirtbag, and Chromedome?

Anyone remember these villains? What was your overall opinion of them? I remembered I wanted the action figures so badly because they looked cool and I was even more excited when they came on the cartoon series. I can't for the life of me remember what the name of particular episode was or what their personalities were like either. Was Chrome Dome even in the same episode as Dirtbag and Groundchuck? It was like 12 years ago, all I remember from that episode was Raph getting the jump on Dirtbag and thinking "Woohoo, get 'em Raph"

Also, what season was this ep on?

Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan 01-30-2004 11:32 PM

Groundchuck: "Planet of the Turtleoids: Parts 1 and 2"; "Escape from the Planet of the Turtleoids"

Dirtbag: "Planet of the Turtleoids: Parts 1 and 2"; "Escape from the Planet of the Turtleoids"

Chromedome: "Planet of the Turtleoids: Parts 1 and 2"; "Night of the Rogues"

I thought they were interesting characters. It's too bad they all appeared in only a couple of episodes.

"Ooooh, that makes me see red!" - Groundchuck, from "Escape from the Planet of the Turtleoids"

raphael90 01-30-2004 11:39 PM

I think I've seen those eps on video...need to find 'em and rent them. Thanks for the info! :)

Coola Yagami 01-30-2004 11:50 PM

Groundchuck-'yee-haw, let me at them wide open spaces!'

Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan 01-31-2004 07:23 AM

Re: ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphael90
I think I've seen those eps on video...need to find 'em and rent them. Thanks for the info! :)

Actually, only one of those episodes was put on a video, and that was the two-part miniseries, "Planet of the Turtleoids."

http://www.technodrome.com/images/vhs/potto.jpg

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! :(

"Don't be such a baby!" - Krang, from "Planet of the Turtleoids: Part 1"

Jephael 01-31-2004 09:56 AM

I got that tape at my local Blockbuster back when I was an employee at Wendy's like three years ago. The tape's still in fairly good shape, give or take acouple scratches in the picture from being rented so many times.

MW8979 01-31-2004 10:03 AM

Chrome Dome was awesome. He should have been in more episodes, or preferably he should have been Krang's personal sidekick till the end of season 7 or something. Shredder already has two henchmen, if Krang had one, then he probably wouldn't have to rely on Shredder so much and get more done.

Reznorite420 01-31-2004 11:23 AM

Speaking of Chrome Dome and Night of the Rogues, how the hell did he come back? He was completely obliterated along with that mini Technodrome in Planet of the Turtleoids Part II.

GodzFire 01-31-2004 12:24 PM

All three kicked butt, I wonder if it was because I liked them as action figures just as much too :-)

THE-X-FLO 01-31-2004 01:26 PM

Actually, Shredder rebuilt Chromedome, and it took him 30 minutes.. Well, he should have taken his time and build 5 Chromedomes, since it is so easy..

Reznorite420 01-31-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE-X-FLO
Actually, Shredder rebuilt Chromedome, and it took him 30 minutes.. Well, he should have taken his time and build 5 Chromedomes, since it is so easy..

Another flaw; it takes him hours to build the first Chrom Dome, yet less than one hour to build another one...

BTW, how do you know he was rebuilt? It's been a while since I've seen the episode, maybe I'll have to give it another watch.

raphael90 01-31-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

Actually, only one of those episodes was put on a video, and that was the two-part miniseries, "Planet of the Turtleoids."
Yes, I have seen that video then, thanks for showing the pic! Trouble is I had no idea Groundchuck and the gang were on that...man I wish I'd pushed myself to rent it, I woulda been in for a pleasant surprise! :D Sad thing is, that was at a rental store back in my old residence! Gack! Oh well, I'll continue looking for it, maybe could get it for a good price on Half.com or Ebay.

THE-X-FLO 01-31-2004 04:30 PM

In Night of the Rogues, after Shredder says he wants revenge on the turtles, we see immediately another scene, where he finishes welding Chromodome's circuits. He comments : "The last time Chromedome met the Turtles he merely defeated them. This time, he shall not fail"
The way he's talking, it's obviously the same robot, so he must have picked the parts after its destruction at the end of the 5th season. That would explain why it is a lot faster.

Ninja Turtles Cartoon Fan 01-31-2004 06:21 PM

Re: ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphael90
Oh well, I'll continue looking for it, maybe could get it for a good price on Half.com or Ebay.

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem. TMNT videos are sold on Half.com and eBay all the time, and they are all affordable. You can still find sealed copies of this video if you search around, which is how I purchased mine.

"Seven thousand manholes in this city, and you had to bring us up here?"
"Well, it's the nearest one to a pay-phone."

Raphael and Donatello, from "Poor Little Rich Turtle"

Reznorite420 01-31-2004 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE-X-FLO
The way he's talking, it's obviously the same robot, so he must have picked the parts after its destruction at the end of the 5th season. That would explain why it is a lot faster.

That can't be...you saw Chrome Dome blown into smitherines (literally!) in Planet of the Turtleoids, BEYOND REPAIR!

Is this one of those flaws in the show that should be ignored since the cartoon never made much sense in the first place?

Savanti Romero 02-01-2004 09:28 AM

Never saw any episode (I do want to) but I have all three figures and Groundchuck was one of my favorite figures to play with. (I liked how his waist moved and his legs, as weird as that sounds.) Dirtbag seemed to stiff to play with, and I would often use Chrome Dome as a Savanti Romero because I didn't really know who he was.

Lisardo 02-01-2004 09:59 AM

That's what I say. I never saw ChromeDome being rebuilt, what ep are you talking about? Unless you mean Shredder built several robots or something.

Overall those villians were cool, esp. Groundchuck and Dirtbag. Loved their bad attitude, could prolly kick B&R's arse any day!

THE-X-FLO 02-01-2004 12:18 PM

Quote:

That's what I say. I never saw ChromeDome being rebuilt, what ep are you talking about?
We're talking about the ep Night of the Rogues. That's where Chromedome is rebuilt

Lisardo 02-02-2004 03:45 PM

Maybe he was rebuilt in the ep. Tho I don't remember it.

Gremlin 02-02-2004 04:01 PM

I saw the turtleoid two-parter a week ago and I was actually kinda suprised that dirtbag and groundchuck acted intelligent, they were mutated directly from animals and was ten times smarter than bebop & rocksteady from the beginning, despite the fact that the two moron-henchmen shredder has was mutated from human form...

Antrax 02-02-2004 04:33 PM

Quote:

I saw the turtleoid two-parter a week ago and I was actually kinda suprised that dirtbag and groundchuck acted intelligent, they were mutated directly from animals and was ten times smarter than bebop & rocksteady from the beginning, despite the fact that the two moron-henchmen shredder has was mutated from human form...
Maybe the human that made Groundchuck and Dirtbag humanoid was smart. The humans that Shredder's henchmen were mutated from were not so intelligent in the first place.

I've only seen Groundchuck and Dirtbag as action figures but they were very cool figures. They were two of the few really bulky figures that made them look like they could punch out the turtles.

Gremlin 02-02-2004 04:37 PM

Yeah, but one would think that most of the intelligence came from the main part that was mutated and not by just touching it. On the other hand, the old toon never made any sense so why bother really? :)

MrPliggins 02-02-2004 06:00 PM

I have a question about the episode "Planet of the Turtleoids". I remeber it only being shown twice ever. It was on one evening as an hour long special. Then about maybe a year later, It was played on syndication and i caught the tail end of it. My question is...
I see it is referred to as part 1 and 2 here, but I never saw it broken up...was it shown other times as seperate episodes?

VaughnMichael 02-02-2004 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPliggins
I have a question about the episode "Planet of the Turtleoids". I remeber it only being shown twice ever. It was on one evening as an hour long special. Then about maybe a year later, It was played on syndication and i caught the tail end of it. My question is...
I see it is referred to as part 1 and 2 here, but I never saw it broken up...was it shown other times as seperate episodes?

yes when it was shown on the USA cable network it was split up into a 2 parter hope this helps.
-Vaughn Michael

VaughnMichael 02-02-2004 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antrax
Quote:

Maybe the human that made Groundchuck and Dirtbag humanoid was smart. The humans that Shredder's henchmen were mutated from were not so intelligent in the first place.

I've only seen Groundchuck and Dirtbag as action figures but they were very cool figures. They were two of the few really bulky figures that made them look like they could punch out the turtles.

actully if I remember correctly they wernt touched by any humans they were animals that were mutated into humanlike creatures..but perhaps shredder touched them.....but bebop and rocksteady were humans mutated with animals so perhaps that has something to do with why they are so stupid....because they were stupid to begin with..
-Vaughn Michael

Coola Yagami 02-02-2004 10:30 PM

you have to remember that in the first 5 eps bebop and rocksteady were alot more viscious and dangerous. They were common street thugs and were well.. as dumb as common street thugs. Later when the series became alot more childish, they just plain became ... well... extremely stupid and brainless...

groundchuck and dirtbag were the new guys in town so of course that had to give the tmnt a good fight.

Drtooth 02-03-2004 08:06 AM

I have a question... was Groundchuck in the thrid NES video game? I remember him being there somehow...

VaughnMichael 02-03-2004 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drtooth
I have a question... was Groundchuck in the thrid NES video game? I remember him being there somehow...

yes groundchuck,dirtbag and many others wer ein that game.
-Vaughn Michael

Drtooth 02-03-2004 10:17 AM

Oh... thanks... I was going crazy for a minute there...

I remember I've seen him in action figure form before I played the game (not in the cartoon) so I wondered why he was there...

majesty329 02-05-2004 11:53 AM

Dirtbag and Groundchuck was cool, I wish they were in more episodes.

As for Chrome Dome he was awesome.

And Krang did have his own henchman General Tragg.

CyberCubed 06-18-2022 04:06 PM

It blows my mind these characters are all relevant in the year 2022.

Coola Yagami 06-18-2022 04:32 PM

It's been so long but I sworn Groundchuck and Dirtbag had a return episode but I forgot how it resolved or if they were just sent right back to the turtle planet.

neatoman 06-18-2022 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1934453)
It blows my mind these characters are all relevant in the year 2022.

I wouldn't exactly call being used to fill out the boss roster of a beat 'em-up "relevance", especially not if it's a game where you fight the same four characters as bosses at least twice.

CyberCubed 06-18-2022 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1934456)
It's been so long but I sworn Groundchuck and Dirtbag had a return episode but I forgot how it resolved or if they were just sent right back to the turtle planet.

They did, Groundchuck and Dirtbag appeared a second time in "Return to the Planet of the Turtleoids."

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1934457)
I wouldn't exactly call being used to fill out the boss roster of a beat 'em-up "relevance", especially not if it's a game where you fight the same four characters as bosses at least twice.

Chrome Dome was also in Season 2 of the Nick cartoon (although they just re-used Chris Bradford's model in armor for it), and Groundchuck/Dirtbag also just appeared in IDW's comics as mindless frankenstein mutants by Dr. Barlow who is making Venus.

Coola Yagami 06-18-2022 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1934459)
They did, Groundchuck and Dirtbag appeared a second time in "Return to the Planet of the Turtleoids."

Chrome Dome was also in Season 2 of the Nick cartoon (although they just re-used Chris Bradford's model in armor for it), and Groundchuck/Dirtbag also just appeared in IDW's comics as mindless frankenstein mutants by Dr. Barlow who is making Venus.

What happened to them in their return episode?

neatoman 06-18-2022 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1934459)

In both cases it just feels like they are there to be there, not actually have a substantial impact on the plot. It's the "Ooh, I 'member!" effect.

TigerClaw 06-18-2022 05:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
They both appeared in the IDW comics.

neatoman 06-18-2022 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1934468)
They both appeared in the IDW comics.

We established that already.

CyberCubed 06-21-2022 05:34 PM

Speak of the devil:

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/zd...gtC7TNGR9G.jpg

Groundchuck and Dirtbag are going to be in at least one of the new comics too.

Is it just me or are they getting a kind of revival lately? I'm glad to see them back because they never actually appeared in the Nick 2012 cartoon.

neatoman 06-21-2022 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1934809)
Speak of the devil:

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/zd...gtC7TNGR9G.jpg

Groundchuck and Dirtbag are going to be in at least one of the new comics too.

Is it just me or are they getting a kind of revival lately? I'm glad to see them back because they never actually appeared in the Nick 2012 cartoon.

You want my opinion? It's probably because they look weird enough and they've already used Mutagen Man, Mondo Gecko, Pizzaface, Muckman, Scumbug, Wyrm, Antrax, Chrome Dome, Wingnut and most of the other shallow characters cooked up under Playmates for other projects. Dirtbag and Groundchuck were kind of the only nostalgia action figures left.