The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New He-Man Netflix Series (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=61763)

IMJ 07-21-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstaff (Post 1898663)
Yep. I know this very well.

I was quite outspoken about the 2016 Ghostbusters remake back then. Most assumed I was a manbaby too, even when I told them I was a woman. They couldn't believe it, and accused me of lying. :lol:

Big respect here.

And on that note, it sounds like woke or at the very least agenda garbage placed in a MOTU bottle. Don't give Netflix the clicks if you are disappointed or object - that's exactly where the money comes from.

If you don't care or have to have your aging-and-now-bastardized 80's property at all costs, then click on it and complain later. But at some point in life you have to stop being trampled on for your comfort food.

Leo656 07-21-2021 10:36 AM

It doesn't sound as slimy and insidious as the She-Ra reboot, for whatever it's worth.

It sounds like they were sincere in what they're attempting to do, but simply misread how much demand there'd be for what is essentially "Teela and the Masters of the Universe, Guest-Starring He-Man".

Like, I don't think they made these choices with malice. Seriously. It comes off more like a "Heart in the right place, head up your ass" kind of thing more so than anything else. The She-Ra reboot was the lowest form of agenda-driven woke nonsense. This one just feels like they didn't read the room right.

"You guys love Teela!" Yeah, but I don't think anyone ever wanted her to be THE main character, or at least nobody ever asked for that until it was presented to them like this. Some people are okay with that but I dare say that's not the show most people wanted.

IMJ 07-21-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1898669)
Like, I don't think they made these choices with malice. Seriously. It comes off more like a "Heart in the right place, head up your ass" kind of thing more so than anything else. The She-Ra reboot was the lowest form of agenda-driven woke nonsense. This one just feels like they didn't read the room right.

I highly doubt the She-Ra flash animation cartoon was made with malice either...... -shrugs-

ZariusTwo 07-21-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

(make no mistake, Revelation's script is just as cheesy and corny as the original ever was
https://www.starburstmagazine.com/re...otu-revelation

Leo656 07-21-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMJ (Post 1898671)
I highly doubt the She-Ra flash animation cartoon was made with malice either...... -shrugs-

No, Noelle Stevenson literally said that the She-Ra reboot was done solely for pushing what she called "The Gay Agenda" (her words) onto little kids. That's combative. That's ill-intent. That's taking something innocent and "queering it up" because you weren't allowed to go to your prom and you still have an axe to grind about it as an adult. Those choices were dripping with "malice". Every single thing in that show was the showrunner getting back at her parents and various authority figures who she felt wronged her during her adolescence.

This is a totally different animal than that show. They're guilty of "We thought He-Man was too powerful to write properly, so we found ways to sideline him because Teela's easier to write an arc for." That's not great, and it shows that Smith probably wasn't a great choice for the job.

BUT. At least it's not a case of the showrunner saying "I'm gay, and everyone on this show is gay, and we want your kids to be gay, so this once totally-neutral thing is now Totally Gay and that's the entire point of its existence, and oh, by the way, it's for kids, have fun with that."

There's like ten miles between this show's "woke agenda" stuff and the She-Ra reboot's "woke agenda" stuff. Compared to THAT this show's choices are practically a Valentine.

Coola Yagami 07-21-2021 10:54 AM

I just hate that the focus is gonna be so much on Teela we're not gonna get stuff like say, a Roboto episode or a Stratos episode. The 80s one was kinda good with that but the 2002 was VERY good at giving these characters more depth and side arcs.

I'm kinda worried all the men are gonna be demoted to basically being soldiers and extra muscle for Teela to boss around and they may not get much character development besides their gimmick.

Like Stratos will be the flying one that obeys Teela without question
Fisto will punch things with his big metallic fist and obeys Teela without question
Moss Man will be the plant guy that obeys Teela without question

But hey, they'll probably expand on Clamp Champ and give him lots of personality and depth.

superstaff 07-21-2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1898674)
I just hate that the focus is gonna be so much on Teela we're not gonna get stuff like say, a Roboto episode or a Stratos episode. The 80s one was kinda good with that but the 2002 was VERY good at giving these characters more depth and side arcs.

That 2002 show was so great. It might be my favorite He-Man show, maybe more than the original.

Leo656 07-21-2021 11:09 AM

200X was great. But to be fair to both shows, that show and this show are approaching things totally differently. That one was somewhat serialized but still rather episodic at times, whereas this one is simply telling one arc in ten episodes. It's also being written as - apparently - a full-blown apocalypse arc, where things go bad very early and just get worse from there until things completely fall apart at Episode 5. So it's not like they're even approaching the material much of the same way at all. That show was "lots of little stories", this is "one big story". So an altogether different approach and execution would be expected, anyways, regardless of the creative choices made in either case. They'd still turn out very different.
-------------

Lots of people loudly making the case that "since Teela was always A main character, everyone should just accept her as THE main character for this show."

In about three days, we'll see just how many people agree with that sentiment, or if most people would've rather had a He-Man show. I know what I think.

Coola Yagami 07-21-2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1898677)
200X was great. But to be fair to both shows, that show and this show are approaching things totally differently. That one was somewhat serialized but still rather episodic at times, whereas this one is simply telling one arc in ten episodes. It's also being written as - apparently - a full-blown apocalypse arc, where things go bad very early and just get worse from there until things completely fall apart at Episode 5. So it's not like they're even approaching the material much of the same way at all. That show was "lots of little stories", this is "one big story". So an altogether different approach and execution would be expected, anyways, regardless of the creative choices made in either case. They'd still turn out very different.
-------------

Lots of people loudly making the case that "since Teela was always A main character, everyone should just accept her as THE main character for this show."

In about three days, we'll see just how many people agree with that sentiment, or if most people would've rather had a He-Man show. I know what I think.

And to think, all of this is because we just can't have a show where the main character and strongest hero is a blonde hair blue eyed white guy without it being 'problematic'. Not in this day and age.

Betcha if He-Man was originally a gay black dude (that somehow got past the 80s mentality back then), we wouldn't have been seeing Teela stepping up in this reboot.

ZariusTwo 07-21-2021 12:32 PM

Just watched 'Teela's Triumph" of the original series. Had an absolute blast with it. Funny, warm, uplifting, well written. A tour de force for how to do a female-driven episode right without diminishing any male.

Anyone still trying to sell me this crock of s*it that classic He-Man was unwatchable have never seen this programme.

ZariusTwo 07-21-2021 01:49 PM

"Queerbaiting"

Oooooooook.

Coola Yagami 07-21-2021 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1898688)
Just watched 'Teela's Triumph" of the original series. Had an absolute blast with it. Funny, warm, uplifting, well written. A tour de force for how to do a female-driven episode right without diminishing any male.

Anyone still trying to sell me this crock of s*it that classic He-Man was unwatchable have never seen this programme.

Also recommend "Problem with Power".

IMJ 07-21-2021 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1898674)

I'm kinda worried all the men are gonna be demoted to basically being soldiers and extra muscle for Teela to boss around and they may not get much character development besides their gimmick.

Like Stratos will be the flying one that obeys Teela without question
Fisto will punch things with his big metallic fist and obeys Teela without question
Moss Man will be the plant guy that obeys Teela without question

But hey, they'll probably expand on Clamp Champ and give him lots of personality and depth.

I don't even care if the focus was on Teela. It's all just a vessel of story telling.

They could do the exact same thing without the indoctrination with butch Teela and tranny Evil-Lyn and pointed Teela to the forefront and it would have been fine.

It's not that there's a female lead, but it's the subterfuge, Hollywood agenda and imaginary audience for this content. That's the insult. Not that a woman from a franchise has been pushed forward but rather that a woman from a franchise has been pushed forward amidst an entirely nonsense, straw man agenda.

If none of that were in place, then who cares if Teela has a "mission" on the show? The real problem is the "reinvention" into skewed demographics for agendas as if what was around before was wrong. That's the $#!( I'm sick of. By the volume of this nonsense in pop culture now, you'd swear that 55% of the population was counter-traditional in lifestyle or biology. That's the real bull $#!(. None of this is inclusion, it's just the new hate. And it's being supported by a phantom f'n audience of addicts who need their f'n He-Man.

ZariusTwo 07-21-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1898713)
Also recommend "Problem with Power".

I'm going to watch several episodes en route to writing a script for my own personal 'continuation' that deals with Teela learning Adam's secret.

Coola Yagami 07-21-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1898717)
I'm going to watch several episodes en route to writing a script for my own personal 'continuation' that deals with Teela learning Adam's secret.

Def check that one then. It's the one that comes the closest to any sort of He-Man/Teela romance since you know the show didn't deal with any of that.

TigerClaw 07-21-2021 05:35 PM

Here's IGN's review.

IMJ 07-21-2021 06:11 PM

Generally speaking the language in that review was well put together and painted a nice picture! The animation and art direction look great.

The real question is simply do you want to reward the character zeitgeist of the times financially? On that note, it's interesting that with a week to go, the show hasn't made it to download sites yet....

mrmaczaps 07-21-2021 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMJ (Post 1898735)
Generally speaking the language in that review was well put together and painted a nice picture! The animation and art direction look great.

The real question is simply do you want to reward the character zeitgeist of the times financially? On that note, it's interesting that with a week to go, the show hasn't made it to download sites yet....

It comes out Friday, right?

superstaff 07-21-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1898688)

Yes, it's my favorite episode of the original series. Very solid writing.

Leo656 07-21-2021 10:58 PM

Once all's said and done, and people actually see it, I honestly expect a lot of people to be saying "Y'know... absolutely none of that was what I personally would have asked for, or done, but objectively it's still good for what it is."

But man, that bait-and-switch sh*t they pulled is just unforgivable and I can't blame people for being mad. I know all "marketing" is essentially just lies and spin, but mark my words: if 6 months ago, Kevin Smith had just said "Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to write He-Man, so this is like 'Teela and the Masters of the Universe' instead" right from the beginning, by now most people would've slept on it and gotten over it, and they'd be more willing to just take this for what it is rather than what it isn't. As it is, he looks like a huge asshole for lying repeatedly for months and getting upset that people wouldn't believe him.

He's a big Star Wars guy; he had to have known the whole Obi-Wan "...From a certain point of view!" thing about it "technically" being a He-Man show and not a Teela show wouldn't go over well at all once the truth came out. People have been calling Obi-Wan a gigantic bullsh*tter for over 40 years for that, and now he goes and does the same thing. :lol: He had to have seen this sh*t coming.

But yeah, I think once people see it in action a lot of the controversial choices will justify themselves, but you can't fault people for feeling betrayed and in turn not willing to keep their hearts and minds open. People have this nasty habit of getting defensive and pushing back whenever someone says "I am totally not lying to you, I swear," and then it turns out they were lying the whole time.

Just should've announced it as "Teela and the Masters of the Universe" a year ago with no pretense. By now, people would have made peace with it. If this goes poorly it's entirely their own fault.