The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Toys and Collectibles (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Threat to physical media (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=65230)

serpentnight 07-27-2022 06:51 PM

Threat to physical media

We are living in a time of extreme weather events and increased levels of natural disasters. Its fair to say that a number of physical paraphernalia: comics, action figures, otherwise, has been destroyed in these happenings. Is anyone taking precautions with their collections and property in general in the hopes of minimizing this?

mrmaczaps 07-27-2022 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serpentnight (Post 1939569)
We are living in a time of extreme weather events and increased levels of natural disasters. Its fair to say that a number of physical paraphernalia: comics, action figures, otherwise, has been destroyed in these happenings. Is anyone taking precautions with their collections and property in general in the hopes of minimizing this?

Its the End of Days (or soon will be) and none of this garbage will matter...

Leo656 07-27-2022 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmaczaps (Post 1939607)
Its the End of Days (or soon will be)

I sincerely want to believe you.

I don't think I'll make it that long either way though.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 07-28-2022 06:12 AM

Didn't Michelle Ivey have some of her TMNT stuff ruined when Michigan experienced a flood?

mrmaczaps 07-28-2022 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan (Post 1939646)
Didn't Michelle Ivey have some of her TMNT stuff ruined when Michigan experienced a flood?

A ton of it if I recall correctly...

lonewarrior20 07-28-2022 09:12 AM

almost lost all mine in a fire including cels but managed to restore and clean just about everything.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 07-28-2022 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmaczaps (Post 1939649)
A ton of it if I recall correctly...

Found it.

Cowabung-Gal 07-28-2022 09:58 AM

:teek:

…and a few months ago I was considering getting insurance for my TMNT collection.

Maybe this is a sign.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 07-28-2022 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal (Post 1939658)

…and a few months ago I was considering getting insurance for my TMNT collection.

Maybe this is a sign.

Buy a houseboat instead! :)

Cowabung-Gal 07-28-2022 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan (Post 1939673)
Buy a houseboat instead! :)

I’m not that desperate. :lol:

Besides, I get seasick, especially after eating on a boat.

IMJ 07-28-2022 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmaczaps (Post 1939607)
Its the End of Days (or soon will be)

Every zealot has said the same thing for thousands of years now. "We are in the end times". "I will be prepared for the end times". Thousands of years but not yet. I've always hinged this phenomena on the raging ego of those with high religiosity.

It's a calculus that goes like this:
-Life anger/Low self-esteem/low personal achievement = turn to religion
-Turn to Religion = something to grasp onto
-Something to grasp onto = misplaced sense of personal achievement
-Newly discovered Sense of personal achievement + religion = "armor of God" ego
-"Armor of God" ego = the end is near and my special position under the "armor of God" ego means I can sense the patterns of the end before other people. And I am ready for it.

There's a spectrum, even for servants of God. I imagine that the "High Religiosity/Raging Ego" servants actually fall on the spectrum somewhere closer to Hell and would be very shocked to find that out.

NeonTurtledude 07-28-2022 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal (Post 1939658)

Maybe this is a sign.

that sounds like a good precaution to take

frank_one 07-28-2022 06:00 PM

Everything is bound to disappear at some point. How many copies of TMNT #1 will still be around in like 200 years? Few, maybe. Paper can be strong, if well preserved. CDs and DVDs? Not much. Plastic is subjected to a faster physical decay. All your music, movies and games will be unreadable before you die.

mrmaczaps 07-28-2022 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_one (Post 1939775)
Everything is bound to disappear at some point. How many copies of TMNT #1 will still be around in like 200 years? Few, maybe. Paper can be strong, if well preserved. CDs and DVDs? Not much. Plastic is subjected to a faster physical decay. All your music, movies and games will be unreadable before you die.

Does the world HAVE 200 more years? According to the Squad we have less than 20... lol.