The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Do you drink? Do you smoke? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57511)

Jester 03-07-2021 08:26 PM

Yeah, drinking in Europe is totally different than here in the States.

When my dad was in the Air Force we'd joke that if you old enough to reach the bar, they'd serve you, but you know there wasn't a stigma and it wasn't ABUSED. That's the big thing here versus Europe is the ABUSE of alcohol. We saw Italian truckers who would have a little wine mixed with quite a bit of water. no problem.

American's seem to do everything to the EXTERME and thus we have to over-drink.

Prowler 03-07-2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 1883506)
Yeah, drinking in Europe is totally different than here in the States.

When my dad was in the Air Force we'd joke that if you old enough to reach the bar, they'd serve you, but you know there wasn't a stigma and it wasn't ABUSED. That's the big thing here versus Europe is the ABUSE of alcohol. We saw Italian truckers who would have a little wine mixed with quite a bit of water. no problem.

American's seem to do everything to the EXTERME and thus we have to over-drink.

You guys also aren't legally allowed to purchase alcohol and drink until you're 21, for some reason.

I still remember when you could buy beer and cigarettes at 16 here in Portugal. Now it's 18 for both.

Last Ronin 03-07-2021 08:35 PM

Weeeelll..... I've been drinking and smoking since I was fifteen. Legally yes, but ask an older cousin bam your set

Lol.

Don't do that kids.

Drinking and smoking is only for cool kids.

Jester 03-07-2021 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1883507)
You guys also aren't legally allowed to purchase alcohol and drink until you're 21, for some reason.

I still remember when you could buy beer and cigarettes at 16 here in Portugal. Now it's 18 for both.

Yep, now it's 21 for both alcohol AND tobacco. Tobacco used to be 18.

Prowler 03-07-2021 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 1883510)
Yep, now it's 21 for both alcohol AND tobacco. Tobacco used to be 18.

Why did it change from 18 to 21 anyway?

Also 21 for tobacco too? Didn't know that.

Jester 03-07-2021 08:48 PM

Not 100% they raised the age to 21. They kinda did it on the sly too as far as i know. I don't remember them mentioning it in the news or anything, I just saw a notice posted at the local grocery store. I guess it's to further keep kids from picking it up...because we know that when the age was 18 that totally worked. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been out and out banned, but there must be enough pull from Big Tobacco to keep it on the market.

Leo656 03-07-2021 08:58 PM

I mean, people can't have it both ways. There's this huge push for socialized health care but at the same time, I and others like me don't want my tax dollars going to pay for the lung transplant of a 40-year smoker who was told a thousand times that they were gonna end up killing themselves. It isn't fair. People need to own their sh*t.

So since you "can't" make it illegal because of the tobacco lobbyists, the next most logical thing to do is try and make it harder to get access to, by raising the legal age and taxing the hell out of it. But you can't very well push for "free" taxpayer-funded health care AND continue to let things be a free-for-all. It just doesn't work that way, or at least it shouldn't.

What baffles me is, the exact same people pushing for socialized healthcare are ALSO the ones pushing for complete legalization of all drugs including cocaine and heroin. Because we see how well THAT goes when people just stick that sh*t in themselves; they end up a f*kcing mess and it's on everyone else to pay for saving their lives. Which again, isn't fair. But then again... people who push for such things hardly ever think about the Endgame, they only think about what's most convenient for them specifically.

Prowler 03-07-2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 1883514)
Not 100% they raised the age to 21. They kinda did it on the sly too as far as i know. I don't remember them mentioning it in the news or anything, I just saw a notice posted at the local grocery store. I guess it's to further keep kids from picking it up...because we know that when the age was 18 that totally worked. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been out and out banned, but there must be enough pull from Big Tobacco to keep it on the market.

Tbh there was not hi g preventing underage kids form buying tobacco from machines here back when I was a kid. All you had to do was insert the money, press the button of the pack of cigs you wanted and voila.

But nowadays those machines are more electronic and hot like chocolate or water/soda machines anymore. I've seen people using them at caf├ęs and such before and they have to ask the owner or one of waiters/staff to unlock it or something. That's probably done in order to precisely avoid 14 year olds from buying tobacco.

When I was in 9th grade, we ate at this food place at the mall one time. One of my classmates, who was also 14, asked for beer with his fries and hotdog and the woman behind the counter didn't even flinch. She served him the beer. Sure, he looked considerably older for his age, already having a beard and everything, but he wasn't even asked for ID. Plus, me and another classmate of his were there too and both of us certainly did NOT look 18+.:lol:

CyberCubed 03-07-2021 10:38 PM

I drink one whole bottle of Coca Cola or Pepsi every day. I wonder if that's better or worse than alcohol.

Prowler 03-07-2021 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1883528)
I drink one whole bottle of Coca Cola or Pepsi every day. I wonder if that's better or worse than alcohol.

Well it's certainly not healthy...

Coola Yagami 03-08-2021 12:21 AM

Never smoked.

Drink mostly socially but of course those days are gone. On some occasion I pick up a bottle of sangria, around the holidays I stock up on eggnog. Guess that's as far as it goes.

neatoman 03-08-2021 07:04 AM

I pretty much only drink during the holidays and not to excess. I have never smoked either. I think the big turn-off (aside from bad taste and smell) is how I saw the effects in other people. Something about seeing people constantly run off to inhale smoke, long lines to liquor stores, unecessary crakniness, incoherent mumbling and just the high cost in general made it seem pointless to me.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.