The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Root canals (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=61879)

Andrew NDB 09-19-2019 09:51 PM

Root canals

Has anyone else had one? I had a "half root canal" done on a back molar and right now they have it packed with a "temporary filling" until next week when they do the proper filling/sealing. Right now on day 2 my breath still smells like rancid antiseptic and all I can taste is burning rubber... any idea how much longer that lasts?

IndigoErth 09-20-2019 10:19 AM

I've had one, but it was quite a few years ago. Not sure what is meant by "half" though. My guess is it's probably just the temporary materials that you're tasting and likely normal (edit: and doubtful if they're intended to be pleasant), but there might be no harm in calling them up and checking with them before the weekend. Esp if an infection had been involved.

Refractive Reflections 10-30-2019 03:25 AM

Hey Andrew,

I know it's been a month, but how is the root canal work now? Hope no additional work was needed.

Andrew NDB 10-30-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections (Post 1824037)
Hey Andrew,

I know it's been a month, but how is the root canal work now? Hope no additional work was needed.

It's been terrible. It took them an extra trip... the first they only did half the root canal, the second time they completed the root canal but it took them way longer than it should have because they said I had a "ribbon root." The third time they gave it the "final filling," but they were supposed to have done this in visit #2.

Next is the crown, which will be another 2 visits. One to drill it down to a nub, the next to put it on. Meanwhile, the "final filling" is so close to the gumline it's like... seeping a metallic taste into my mouth. So I'm constantly salivating, which makes me constantly swallow... which is enflaming my throat and making me constantly gaggy. I'm told this will be better when the crown is in place and all of that.

So no, not good!

newfan 10-30-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1824058)
It's been terrible. It took them an extra trip... the first they only did half the root canal, the second time they completed the root canal but it took them way longer than it should have because they said I had a "ribbon root." The third time they gave it the "final filling," but they were supposed to have done this in visit #2.

Next is the crown, which will be another 2 visits. One to drill it down to a nub, the next to put it on. Meanwhile, the "final filling" is so close to the gumline it's like... seeping a metallic taste into my mouth. So I'm constantly salivating, which makes me constantly swallow... which is enflaming my throat and making me constantly gaggy. I'm told this will be better when the crown is in place and all of that.

So no, not good!

Damn, not sure what a Ribbon root is but all sounds very messy.
I have only had two fillings, one of which ended up becoming root canal but it was done in 2 visits with no issues. This was about 10 years back, I am told that now they take away less tooth so crowns are supposed to be smaller.

Hope it settles down soon

Andrew NDB 11-01-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfan (Post 1824060)
I have only had two fillings, one of which ended up becoming root canal but it was done in 2 visits with no issues. This was about 10 years back, I am told that now they take away less tooth so crowns are supposed to be smaller.

Really? I had a crown maybe 8 years ago and they grinded my tooth down to like just a peg. I was shocked how much perfectly good tooth they took.

Refractive Reflections 11-03-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1824058)

So no, not good!

:( Sorry to hear about those developments. Did the dentist initially prepare you saying this much dental work was needed, or did he/she mention this after already doing the procedure? With today's precise medical imaging (i.e. X-rays) usually they can give a good estimation of just how complicated the whole procedure can be.

Of course there's some unpredictability since the procedure is taking place in the mouth (a haven environment for germs) and not fully knowing until they go into the tooth, but still from what you initially posted versus what you updated with, seems like the dentist encountered a big, unexpected complication.

Hope things get better on from here on out.

Andrew NDB 03-17-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections (Post 1824508)
Hope things get better on from here on out.

They did not! I just came back from a different dentist, and after contending with a very sour taste in my mouth coming from that tooth, it turns out the root canal was "shallow" on one side and is now "leaking" bacteria into my mouth. So now they need to drill into the crown, complete the root canal, and seal it all up again.

Fun fact: the dentist I was going to for the root canal/crown went out of business like two weeks after they "finished" the crown.

Vegita-San 03-17-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1839924)
They did not! I just came back from a different dentist, and after contending with a very sour taste in my mouth coming from that tooth, it turns out the root canal was "shallow" on one side and is now "leaking" bacteria into my mouth. So now they need to drill into the crown, complete the root canal, and seal it all up again.

yep, no fun.

had one and that was enough for me.

however, I have had about 6 crown replacements due to bad enamel (thanks psoriasis!) and those are a pain in the ass.

Not so much because of pain itself, but due to the length they take to get right. The Drilling itself usually doesn't take more than 15 minutes. but the shaping of the new tooth top is what takes a while. they tend to be artists :).

IndigoErth 03-17-2020 01:25 PM

Sorry to hear that, Andrew, that sucks that they messed it up that badly. Hope you have insurance or something that is at least covering part of that... I mean, ouch, once is enough let alone have to pay for someone else to correct the mistakes. >.<

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-17-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1839924)

Fun fact: the dentist I was going to for the root canal/crown went out of business like two weeks after they "finished" the crown.

Damn, that's some awful $hit!

joe-eyeball 03-17-2020 07:56 PM

Wow! That sucks big time. I never really thought about how awful some dental problems could be. Im grateful I’ve never even had a cavity yet.

Leo656 03-17-2020 08:34 PM

Jesus, that's terrible.

My wife's teeth are pretty much ruined after some quack did a number on 'em a while back. No insurance so she can't get 'em fixed, no money for a lawyer or we would'a sued the bastard. This was 10 years ago already though, I think that guy went outta business too.

I haven't been to the dentist since the first Gulf War, so... just about 30 years, roughly. No that's not a joke, and stuff like this is why. My teeth are pretty bad, but they don't hurt, so until they start hurting or just plain falling out, I don't need to be some hack's next jetski payment. I don't trust these people.

Voltron 03-18-2020 04:23 AM

My root canal procedure lasted for weeks. That was unpleasant.

On the plus side, it's super cheap here. It cost a few hundred after all was said and done, meds included.

Bonus: after I did get insurance, the dentist refunded me the cost and charged it through insurance.

I asked around before going, because I had a less than thrilling experience before, too.

Andrew NDB 03-18-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegita-San (Post 1839925)
however, I have had about 6 crown replacements due to bad enamel

Like, on the same teeth? Yeesh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1839929)
Sorry to hear that, Andrew, that sucks that they messed it up that badly. Hope you have insurance or something that is at least covering part of that...

Yeah, they made sure and strategically bill them so as to get every dollar of coverage I had in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1839939)
Damn, that's some awful $hit!

It's not good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1839971)
This was 10 years ago already though, I think that guy went outta business too.

Seems to be the move. Open a questionable practice, burn a whole bunch of people, bill the insurance companies, get out.

Quote:

I haven't been to the dentist since the first Gulf War, so... just about 30 years, roughly.
Shesus. You better go in, man, even for just a cleaning. Could have root stuff going on... by the time you feel "pain" it could already be causing heart damage and other things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron (Post 1839987)
My root canal procedure lasted for weeks. That was unpleasant.

Sounds about right.

Quote:

On the plus side, it's super cheap here. It cost a few hundred after all was said and done, meds included.
For me, the whole procedure was about $2100-$2300 -- the root canal and crown, with an extra billable "day" in there somewhere. Insurance paid all but about $500, but literally they made sure and bill my insurance down to the last dollar of yearly coverage.

newfan 03-18-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1840007)

For me, the whole procedure was about $2100-$2300 -- the root canal and crown, with an extra billable "day" in there somewhere. Insurance paid all but about $500, but literally they made sure and bill my insurance down to the last dollar of yearly coverage.

Damn! Not sure how much they have gone up here but mine was about £340 or something, but that was £10 years ago. That was a private price not NHS price as I wanted tooth colour not metal, the NHS only cover that for front teeth. You still pay with the NHS unless you are on low income but it's still less.

Leo656 03-18-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Shesus. You better go in, man, even for just a cleaning. Could have root stuff going on... by the time you feel "pain" it could already be causing heart damage and other things.

"We're ALL gonna die, kid. WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!"
- Sensei Johnny Lawrence

Vegita-San 03-18-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Like, on the same teeth? Yeesh!

Nope, different ones. and luckily all done right the first time and no problem since.

Best news, far less cavities after it's done.

even with constant brushing.

CyberCubed 04-25-2021 04:20 PM

Just got two root canals two days ago, went fine. You don't feel a thing after they numb your mouth and I'm perfectly fine in the aftermath with no swelling.

Find it hilarious some people act like getting root canals is painful or the worst thing in the world, you literally feel nothing. It's exactly the same as getting a filling for a cavity. I've had like 20+ cavities and 10 root canals in my life though so perhaps I'm used to it, but you generally feel no pain.

Forgot to add that due to insurance, I also paid $0 and got them for free.

Andrew NDB 04-25-2021 04:23 PM

You definitely feel a little bit when they're finishing up the final "drilling to the bottom of the root" part of the process. And all the needles that precede things aren't any cakewalk either. And I don't know about you, but I don't like a whole bunch of rubber guards and nonsense in my mouth for extended periods of time.