The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   "Slash" by Jeremiah D. Allan and Randy Valiente (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=39301)

DrSpengler 09-22-2012 11:37 AM

"Slash" by Jeremiah D. Allan and Randy Valiente

Last week, writer Jeremiah Allan sent me the pages to this comic he and artist Randy Valiente produced for an unreleased TMNT tribute book put together by Go Green Machine (that got nixed due to the Viacom buy-out).

He wanted to share it with the fandom, so I threw the pages up on TMNT Entity with a bit of review:

"Slash!" by Jeremiah D. Allan, Randy Valiente and Kris Johnson

A cool little piece, I think, and especially interesting to look at now that Slash is making a comeback in the IDW series. I don't know how official the status of the Go Green Machine tribute book was (though it getting nixed by the Viacom buy-out leads me to think there was some level of legitimacy to it), so I'm not sure if this counts as potential canon to the Mirage series.

Anyway, Blogger shrinks the pages, but I think they're still legible enough. I have the high quality versions and if anybody knows how to put them into a .cbr and throw them up on mediafire or wherever, let me know and I'll send them your way, that way everyone can see the comic in better quality.

Venom 09-22-2012 11:42 AM

Once again, you've provided another awesome little gem. :]

oldmanwinters 09-22-2012 01:22 PM

Man, I'm always amazed when stuff like this turns up!

Your TMNT blog just got even cooler, Spengs!

junkboy 09-22-2012 01:54 PM

haha.. that was great
thanks!

Archon_Turtle 09-22-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpengler (Post 1000121)
I don't know how official the status of the Go Green Machine tribute book was (though it getting nixed by the Viacom buy-out leads me to think there was some level of legitimacy to it), so I'm not sure if this counts as potential canon to the Mirage series.

The book was greenlit by Gary Richardson and would have definitely gone to print had we gotten enough submissions before the buyout.

Jephael 09-22-2012 02:05 PM

That comic looks epic! It's a shame the book never got to see print.

Chris 09-22-2012 02:35 PM

First I've heard of this. Awesome find Spengler!

DrSpengler 09-22-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle (Post 1000183)
The book was greenlit by Gary Richardson and would have definitely gone to print had we gotten enough submissions before the buyout.

Thanks! I'll add it to the Mirage TMNT Continuity Timeline with red text, since it was at least officially greenlit though never published.

CyberCubed 09-22-2012 07:48 PM

Gary greenlit it but did Peter? I find it hard to believe PL would have Slash in Mirage continuity.

Remember that other Vol. 4 short story done by some College students? It was published but Peter rushed an editorial into the same issue to declare it non canon for some reason. I think this might be similar.

Cowabunga Carl 09-22-2012 08:20 PM

That was awesome. So amazing. It is cool to see Bishop and Slash in "Mirage". I wonder if more would have been done with them if there had been more books.

Jester 09-22-2012 08:26 PM

Not sure I would disagree with Peter doing that. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's an interesting story, and I love Slash as much as anyone, but an alien Turtle who is locked in battle with an alien brain brings back too many flashbacks to the leaked Bay script. That and did it seem to anyone there were some panels missing. I mean, Slash just comes out of nowhere when he attacks the Utroms.

Archon_Turtle 09-22-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1000324)
Gary greenlit it but did Peter? I find it hard to believe PL would have Slash in Mirage continuity.

Remember that other Vol. 4 short story done by some College students? It was published but Peter rushed an editorial into the same issue to declare it non canon for some reason. I think this might be similar.

Canon status never entered the conversation. Mirage wasn't going to publish. GGM was going to publish. I was paying printing and publishing fees out of pocket. So the non-canon status was a given.

Jester 09-22-2012 09:00 PM

I guess a race of alien Turtles kinda makes sense. I know in the 4kids universe at least, the Triceratons always called the Turtles, "Terrapin Creatures", kind of implying that they'd seen something like them before our boys.

DrSpengler 09-22-2012 09:28 PM

I look at "Slash" as being in the same category as "This Mortal Shell". It was greenlit by the authorities and doesn't conflict with continuity, but it isn't "canon".

Though in this case, I don't really think "canon" is something anybody should feel too concerned with. Just a fun comic to take in and of itself.

And I wouldn't make too many parallels to the discarded movie script, either. Palmadise existed long before the Bay movie and obviously this story was completed well before that, too.

CyberCubed 09-22-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 1000346)
I guess a race of alien Turtles kinda makes sense. I know in the 4kids universe at least, the Triceratons always called the Turtles, "Terrapin Creatures", kind of implying that they'd seen something like them before our boys.

And in the original cartoon, there were two different alien Turtle planets...the one from Season 4 and the Turtleoids planet Kerma was from.

Although I like the origin of Slash being a mutant more than an alien turtle myself...

Machias Banshee 09-22-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle (Post 1000344)
Canon status never entered the conversation. Mirage wasn't going to publish. GGM was going to publish. I was paying printing and publishing fees out of pocket. So the non-canon status was a given.

Man, I remember when we were talking about that project. It would be so great if we could still do something along those lines... There's so much talent in the fandom, it's a shame to not put it towards something BIG like that.

Jester 09-22-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpengler (Post 1000359)
And I wouldn't make too many parallels to the discarded movie script, either. Palmadise existed long before the Bay movie and obviously this story was completed well before that, too.

It's more the Bay movie put a bad taste in my mouth regarding alien Turtles, is all.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed
And in the original cartoon, there were two different alien Turtle planets...the one from Season 4 and the Turtleoids planet Kerma was from.

See, the reason I brought it up is that the Triceratons are actually in the Slash short...that and I was hoping someone would say, "It's not just the 4Kids series, that was pulled from the Mirage version of the arc, as well." since I'm not sure if they called them that in the comics.

thingy 09-23-2012 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpengler (Post 1000121)
Anyway, Blogger shrinks the pages, but I think they're still legible enough.

Clicking on the thumbnail, then right-clicking and selecting "open image" brings up the pages at 1035x1600. Is that the full size? It seems plenty big enough.

DrSpengler 09-23-2012 09:29 AM

Oh, is that how you do it?

Good, I was worried the shrunken size was all you got (I remember when Blogger only let you click-to-enlarge the first image in each post).

Yep, that's the original size.

Ninjinister 09-23-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 1000334)
Not sure I would disagree with Peter doing that. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's an interesting story, and I love Slash as much as anyone, but an alien Turtle who is locked in battle with an alien brain brings back too many flashbacks to the leaked Bay script. That and did it seem to anyone there were some panels missing. I mean, Slash just comes out of nowhere when he attacks the Utroms.

I'm pretty sure it was stated that the leaked script was from Paramount before Bay's company even entered the picture.