The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Men In Black "Spin-Off" Coming In 2019 (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58859)

ZariusTwo 09-30-2017 04:38 AM

Men In Black International (2019)

Steven Spielberg will executive produce what is being described as a world-building "spin-off" in the mold of Jurassic World, with Matt Holloway & Art Marcum (Iron Man I, Transformers: The Last Knight) writing the script. Film is scheduled for May 17th 2019.

Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith are "not expected" to reprise their roles.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/men-in-b...um-1202179483/

drgon78 09-30-2017 05:24 AM

Personally I would prefer to see a Men in Black 4 with the original main characters.

Wildcat 09-30-2017 10:10 PM

Saw this yesterday. Love the MIB series. I’m glad it will acknowledge the first 3.

Krutch 09-30-2017 10:34 PM

Who wants to take bets it'll be Women in Black? :P

Autbot_Benz 09-30-2017 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krutch (Post 1719126)
Who wants to take bets it'll be Women in Black? :P

Well lets see

number 1 Its Sony

Number 2 its the trend of 2017 take a main property with guys and make them girls

Wildcat 10-01-2017 12:00 AM

I know Krutch meant it as a joke but there has already been major female characters in MIB. So if there’s another it’s nothing new here.

I will say I’m seeing some of the usual stupid comments like they should leave the series alone if it doesn’t include Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.

It’s ridiculous because people seem to arbitrarily choose when it’s ok for a series to continue without the original characters.

MIB (similar to ghostbusters, not to open a can of worms but obviously it’s what came to our mind already) is a business/organization/department that deals with aliens. Surely there’s room to expand. Especially not being a reboot.

Cure 10-01-2017 12:05 AM

I still wanna see the crossover with Jump Street, damn it.

Andrew NDB 10-01-2017 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cure (Post 1719135)
I still wanna see the crossover with Jump Street, damn it.

That was the only interesting idea. Men in Black 1 wasn't funny or even inherently good, highly overrated movie (though the concept is great)... and 2 was even worse. 3 was surprisingly good, but too little too late.

Probably the MiB people weren't willing to do any sort of hybrid MiB/Jump Street movie in hard R. And there'd really be no point in involving Jump Street without that. I really hope we get some kind of Jump Street 3, though, in spite of that.

dl316bh 10-01-2017 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat (Post 1719134)
I will say I’m seeing some of the usual stupid comments like they should leave the series alone if it doesn’t include Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.

Generally, I agree with the sentiment that comments like that are dumb and series can move forward with other characters or actors. But I do think MiB is a different case. I always thought the draw was Will Smith playing off Tommy Lee Jones. The MiB world is sort of interesting, but not necessarily enough to be the hook, in my opinion.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Quote:

Men in Black 1 wasn't funny or even inherently good, highly overrated movie (though the concept is great)... and 2 was even worse. 3 was surprisingly good, but too little too late.
I still like the first film, but I remember the second just being alright and never seeing the third. Do people over-rate 1? It always seemed like a case where everyone thinks it's a good movie, but were never rabid about how it was amazing or anything.

Andrew NDB 10-02-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl316bh (Post 1719148)
Do people over-rate 1? It always seemed like a case where everyone thinks it's a good movie, but were never rabid about how it was amazing or anything.

People overrate 1 all the time. They look back at it like it's this genre-redefining comic masterpiece. I didn't get one chuckle out of the whole movie and I was "prime age" for this when it came out. The ending went out with a fizzle, too. It's just a series of misses, strange choices, and big special effects.

I think it's a little bit like "Bad Boys," where it's very white guys trying to write a lot of "funny black man" dialogue and jokes and all of it falling flat. In a different movie that doesn't matter so much, but here, very much the "heart" and crux of these movies is how funny and endearing we find Will Smith to be.

sdp 10-02-2017 10:41 AM

I liked the first movie, but I was a kid, by the time the second one came out, I liked the cartoon as well. MIIB I didn't like that much but by the time it came out I was in my early teens so I cared for other stuff but I remember how heavily it was marketed. By the time MIIIB came out it had been long enough that I wanted to re-watch the other films and this one to see how they held up. Still haven't done it. Funny how both the sequel and animated show retconned the girl being Smith's new partner.

What is 21 Jump Street? The films any good? Does it make sense to have a crossover?

Prowler 10-02-2017 10:44 AM

I haven't watched MIB in years. All I remember from the first movie is the neuralyzer device.

Andrew NDB 10-02-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1719425)
Funny how both the sequel and animated show retconned the girl being Smith's new partner.

That is funny. I'd forgotten about that.

Quote:

What is 21 Jump Street? The films any good? Does it make sense to have a crossover?
They are hysterical to me, with a surprising amount of heart. Very well written. No, it doesn't make sense to have a crossover, but the ending/end credits montage of Jump Street 2 would have it make some semblance of sense.

ProphetofGanja 12-02-2017 09:34 AM

I really, really love this song from MIB 3

Coola Yagami 12-02-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat (Post 1719134)
I know Krutch meant it as a joke but there has already been major female characters in MIB. So if there’s another it’s nothing new here.

It’s ridiculous because people seem to arbitrarily choose when it’s ok for a series to continue without the original characters.

MIB (similar to ghostbusters, not to open a can of worms but obviously it’s what came to our mind already) is a business/organization/department that deals with aliens. Surely there’s room to expand. Especially not being a reboot.

But Ghostbusters isn't an organization. It's 4 guys. Unlike the IDW comics, the movies never went into them expanding past that. It's just 4 guys trying to make ends meet that team up whenever the world is going to hell.

MiB was established to be a huge organization with J and K being only 2 members among many. Having a few girls in there as long as you acknowledge the 3 movies and reference the characters (wasn't K considered a legend) then go for it.

Spike Spiegel 12-02-2017 08:35 PM

I was always a little miffed they never brought Linda Fiorentino back after the first film.

I don't mind one way or the other if they make more movies, but it would be very nice to see a full release of the animated series on DVD like they did with The Real Ghostbusters when the Feig version was released.

The first movie's slightly overrated, but not by much. I'd say it's the Ghostbusters of the '90s. And the third one is surprisingly good as well. The second one has some good slapstick and Lara Flynn Boyle in her prime...but that's about it.

ZariusTwo 12-05-2018 12:25 PM

The movie goes by MIBI: Men In Black International

http://collider.com/men-in-black-reboot-title/#images

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 12-05-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1784797)
The movie goes by MIBI: Men In Black International

http://collider.com/men-in-black-reboot-title/#images

We still talkin' bout Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson? Or is this some other spinoff?

ZariusTwo 12-05-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1784800)
We still talkin' bout Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson? Or is this some other spinoff?

If you'd bother to check the link, you'll know it's the same film

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 12-05-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1784816)
If you'd bother to check the link, you'll know it's the same film

Why bother myself when I can bother you? :tgrin: