The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Music (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Can any American explain to me.. (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58833)

Krutch 09-27-2017 03:44 PM

Can any American explain to me..

...what they mean when they say "They sound very Canadian" when referring to a band?

I sometimes recommend a couple bands to friends across the border (Thousand Foot Krutch, Dream Jefferson, etc) and alot of them say they sound very Canadian but whenever I ask them to explain they cant seem to put it into words.

Anyone want to help clarify? What exactly does that mean because I hear no difference between American and Canadian music.

Powder 09-27-2017 03:47 PM

That's not a thing. Your American friends are probably just morons who think they're being funny.

ToTheNines 09-27-2017 03:51 PM

Yeah, they're trolling you.

plastroncafe 09-27-2017 04:08 PM

Do these bands sound like Nickelback?

The Deadman 09-27-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1718263)
Do these bands sound like Nickelback?

We have a seperate category for Nickelback: Douchebag.

triplexxx 09-27-2017 06:19 PM

Well, technically Canadian is American, after all, America's not a country, but a continent, or rather a dual-continent, of which Canada is part of, as is everything from top of Alaska to the bottom tip of Chile, so...

TurtleWA 09-27-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplexxx (Post 1718292)
Well, technically Canadian is American, after all, America's not a country, but a continent, or rather a dual-continent, of which Canada is part of, as is everything from top of Alaska to the bottom tip of Chile, so...

Would you look at Doctor Smarty-Pants over here. ;)

Krutch 09-27-2017 07:48 PM

Ah. So, it's just an American thing Americans do to troll Canadians? Cuz I've heard it multiple times from different people over the years.

Alrightythen. Thanks for clearing that up ;)

Prowler 09-28-2017 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplexxx (Post 1718292)

Well, tbh, I learned in geography at school that there's 5 oceans and 6 continents. The 6 continents being Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania, Antarctica and America. I had never heard of North America and South America being described as two separate continents until some years ago. I've always seen them as sub-continents instead. So why is America a sole continent for Europeans and not for Americans and Canadians? Odd. And I guess technically Europe and Asia could be considered the same continent? I mean there is the Eurasia term.

I think geographic definitions are quite political at times. When people talk about Asians they don't mean people from the Gulf or Israel but people from Japan, China, Thailand, etc.

But yeah, I'll always refer to NA/CA/SA as the Americas or the American continent. Can't help it.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 10-08-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1718393)
I had never heard of North America and South America being described as two separate continents until some years ago.

They're definately the same in geography and geology, but not always in anthropology. Or didn't you think of why there's CONCACAF and CONMEBOL?