The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Questions/Comments/Suggestions (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   [Question] Can we elect a new Moderator? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=62261)

TommyT 01-26-2020 09:29 PM

Can we elect a new Moderator?

I think its time for some fresh blood.
Can we get Andrew Mod powers? What about Oldmanwinters?
Cybercubed?

They all seem like appropriate Mods, and could help out the overworked current staff.

Can we put this to a vote?

Leo656 01-26-2020 10:39 PM

This forum is not a democracy. So it's highly unlikely.

Who gets to be a Mod and who doesn't is a closed-door process and the decisions are made by the Staff. Nobody's really sure how it works, but a few things everybody does know is, if a person asks, they'll never be chosen, and anyone who has "heat" or would be considered too controversial automatically won't be chosen. Temp-Bans also seem to permanently disqualify a person. So Andrew and Cubed wouldn't be considered.

I've even been suggested by a few people over the years, but the suits at Nickelodeon hate me and so do half the members here, so if I were made a Mod it's assured that either half the members would riot and then leave, or Nick would shut the place down.

So yeah, it's a whole big thing. And the guy who gives out the Mod Keys is a hermit. It's been this way for a long time and unlikely to change anytime soon.

Voltron 01-26-2020 11:14 PM

We shall consult the bones! Bring forth the sacrifice!

IMJ 01-26-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 1833265)
I think its time for some fresh blood.
Can we get Andrew Mod powers? What about Oldmanwinters?
Cybercubed?

They all seem like appropriate Mods, and could help out the overworked current staff.

Can we put this to a vote?

I've moderated a few boards in the past and I can tell you that it's not typically a user consensus thing.

Normally the admin appoints a guy, and I've also found that admins pick guys using their own judgement heuristics. So unfortunately if there's a mod you don't like, then chances are you'd just get another you don't like because the same judgement heuristics are going to be used to pick the next guy anyway.

I can tell you that moderators tend to inform board culture quite a bit though.... I can support that with countless examples both good and bad. The worst mods are the Napolean Dynamite types.... tough guy nerd with strong, cliche opinions who attack people, but then "friend-up" to other people to try and trick the group into thinking that the problem isn't actually him. Those guys are the worst (in real life too)....

Voltron 01-27-2020 12:12 AM

I nominate anyone without Voltron Derangement Syndrome. I need to know that whomever I'm working with isn't swayed by my irresistible charms, my rugged good looks, . . . my intriguing musk.

It wouldn't be fair to the other, wronger members of the forum.

IMJ 01-27-2020 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron (Post 1833279)
my rugged good looks, . . . my intriguing musk.

It wouldn't be fair to the other, wronger members of the forum.

We are on a message board. We don't see you and thank God we can't smell you. This is all on done in a virtual environment on computer.

Voltron 01-27-2020 12:27 AM

Jesus. . . he's showing the signs. It won't be long before he's gone stark raving.

Alright, people! Listen up! We've got a Reverse Bird Box scenario, here. Put on your blindfolds and don't look directly at me. We've already lost so many to the obsession that is. . .Voltron: The Rightest Moderator in the World. Trust me. It'll be like the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Except instead of the terrifying ghosts, you'll just see my radiant beauty. . . burning like the Sun.

FredWolfLeonardo 01-27-2020 02:01 AM

I think Voltron is a fine mod as is currently, and the forums don't seem to be that populated to warrant a new mod.

It's not like political discussions are being shut down here either (Well they are prohibited, but people have been discussing them with civility).

newfan 01-27-2020 02:22 AM

I just thought the mods just got together when there was a place for a new one and looked at people they found suitable.

Andrew NDB 01-27-2020 02:24 AM

I think we're at a point where political conversations should even be encouraged... in the proper channel.

In my GL board that I own and run, it's relegated to one forum within the board and if you don't want in, you can be removed from it. Simple.

Voltron 01-27-2020 03:49 AM

We've tried that before. It started off pretty well, then devolved into a tire fire. And this was during the Bush years, right at the start of the 24 hour news cycle.

This was a really well thought out and implemented plan, too. It was done in reverse to your style, though. You earned your way in, and it was easy to get banned.

Unfortunately, almost everyone got banned. And the people who didn't barely used that part of the forum anyway. On top of that, people banned from the political forum didn't leave their anger at the door. It carried over into the regular forums and made a huge mess of things.

In the end, the consensus was that this forum doesn't need a political forum, nor should we be discussing politics in general. Hence the ban.

The internet is a wonderful tool. But the anonymity nullifies the social contract we typically observe in public. Thus, there's not a lot of friendly debate. It's mostly just wandering about calling people names or regurgitating facebook memes as though that's really going to help.

I have to disagree with you. Politics should not be allowed on these boards. Interesting as they are, the cons outweigh the pros.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 01-27-2020 08:40 AM

Sounds like Voltron has some form of Voltron Derangement Syndrome. He thinks a wicked avatar makes for an irresistable musk. :tlol:

Candy Kappa 01-27-2020 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1833289)
I think we're at a point where political conversations should even be encouraged... in the proper channel.

I don't think The Volcanic Asteroid 2 Electric Boogaloo would be a good idea.

Dejablue 01-27-2020 01:51 PM

I elect myself to be mod, nay, admin of this forum. I will rule with a keratin plated fist...:ttwisted:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1833269)

I've even been suggested by a few people over the years, but the suits at Nickelodeon hate me and so do half the members here, so if I were made a Mod it's assured that either half the members would riot and then leave, or Nick would shut the place down.

Wait Nick has that kind of power here? Elect me to be admin and I will not allow it!

IMJ 01-27-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejablue (Post 1833327)
I elect myself to be mod, nay, admin of this forum. I will rule with a keratin plated fist...:ttwisted:

Wait Nick has that kind of power here? Elect me to be admin and I will not allow it!

But do you choke slam people? Leo choke slams people... it's hard to outdo that.... :o

TommyT 01-27-2020 02:50 PM

What's wrong with tire fires?

Outside of bot spam, I think the discussion of why pink hairs are out of control is a worth conversation, especially given todays climate.

I also think, the option to ignore a thread is a choice,, where outlawing conversations is very dictatorial.

Democratic ideals denounce demagoguery, and yet, we find ourselves being silenced for wrong-think.

All conversations are worth having, and up to the participants to begin and end, in my view.

So can we try Volcanic asteroid two -electric boo-galoo?

Leo656 01-27-2020 03:16 PM

Actually my finish is a modified DDT; I'm way too short to chokeslam anyone. :lol: Although I've taken a few, and Jesus, those things hurt. Legit the roughest bump I've ever taken besides a Power Bomb. Those also suck.

And yeah, once again (short version): I said some naughty things about the people behind "Rise" a while back and while none of it was technically against the rules, one of the co-runners leaned on the Mods to have me Temp-Banned "or else", and allegedly have threatened to have the place shut down other times as well for various reasons. One would think/hope they'd have better things to do, but apparently not.

TommyT 01-27-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1833337)
And yeah, once again (short version): I said some naughty things about the people behind "Rise" a while back and while none of it was technically against the rules, one of the co-runners leaned on the Mods to have me Temp-Banned "or else", and allegedly have threatened to have the place shut down other times as well for various reasons. One would think/hope they'd have better things to do, but apparently not.

Name names. It's best to always name names.

Leo656 01-27-2020 03:50 PM

Hah! I'm in enough trouble already. Also I forget which of the two goons it was specifically by name. :trazz:

The dude in question is kinda fat. That much I know. I was told exactly who it was by one of my Friends In High Places but I'd have to go back and check all my PMs to remember the name. Or I guess I could just look up who co-created Rise, but I'm at work right now and don't have that luxury.

I just remember being told who made the complaint, I looked them up and was like "Ah, yeah, that guy looks like a loser, it figures." :lol:

I'd also be a controversial Mod choice because I don't ass-kiss people who work on TMNT projects. I've met plenty of Real famous people so I don't automatically get all star-struck and kissy-face with people who work on comic books and cartoon shows. It's just how I am. Not that I'm not grateful for their contributions, but at the end of the day they're just nerds like the rest of 'em, albeit highly-successful ones.

TommyT 01-27-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1833344)
Hah! I'm in enough trouble already. Also I forget which of the two goons it was specifically by name. :trazz:

The dude in question is kinda fat. That much I know. I was told exactly who it was by one of my Friends In High Places but I'd have to go back and check all my PMs to remember the name.

https://cdn2us.denofgeek.com/sites/d...?itok=ozZ8d4qu

Left or right? Also, which of these two snowflakes would you bet is behind the sockpuppet account who just can't get enough of Rise?
I'll bet they are one in the same.