The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How do you read TMNT Comics? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=65254)

AwakeTea 07-30-2022 01:49 PM

How do you read TMNT Comics?

How do you read TMNT Comics? And why?

Allio 07-30-2022 02:41 PM

Whatever is the cheapest way to get it while in physical form.

hypered1 07-30-2022 02:43 PM

I read each new issue digitally as they release and then purchase the hardcover collections when they release, partly to save space but mainly because it's easier to pick up a 15 - 20 volume than sifting through literally hundreds of individual issues.

CyberCubed 07-30-2022 02:55 PM

I used to get the single issues when they came out for the first 6-7 years of IDW's run, then I stopped and collected some trades. Then I started reading digital for the time being but I buy the collections afterward to have everything in proper order.

There's just no real point in buying single issues anymore.

Cowabung-Gal 07-30-2022 03:00 PM

I read them on a website for free because:

1.) It’s free. Need I say more?

2.) If I have a physical copy, it’s mainly for my collection. I don’t want to actually use the comic and degrade its value because I might sell it one day.

Zog The Magnificent 07-30-2022 06:17 PM

I always try to get the original issues where possible, and trades/collections where necessary. The most important thing is to have a physical copy. If you own something digitally, you don't own it, and it could one day vanish, or be edited, and there wouldn't be anything you could do about it. Also, I just like individual issues. I understand that trades and collections are superior and more efficient in terms of space they take up, durability, and higher quality paper, but I just like having the originals. It could have something to do with the whole idea of 1000 $1 bills looking more impressive than 10 $100 dollar bills. And of course, original issues is the only way to read the letters column when there is one.

Plus, my collection isn't really for selling, so I've never been concerned about that aspect. I collect them to read them, not as a commodity.

member_removed 07-31-2022 12:03 AM

I've been buying the Trades since "Change is Constant" came out. I usually order them on book depository (free shipping).

I kind of regret this now and wish I had went with the hardcover collections, but that wasn't really an option at that point.

I used to use Spenglers website for the suggested reading order and would swap between the numbered trades, Universe and the collected minis (I frigging miss the updates on that site :-?)

The Annuals are worst part for me, because they're not collected in trade form. So I need to hunt around local comic shops and buy them way in advance of reading them.

I finally read the 2020 annual the other day and then started Reborn vol 1. So just yesterday I was looking for a copy of the 2022 annual, luckily one of the 3 local stores in my city still had copies, that saved me an extra $10 in shipping.

AwakeTea 07-31-2022 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by member_removed (Post 1940023)
The Annuals are worst part for me, because they're not collected in trade form. So I need to hunt around local comic shops and buy them way in advance of reading them.

I finally read the 2020 annual the other day and then started Reborn vol 1. So just yesterday I was looking for a copy of the 2022 annual, luckily one of the 3 local stores in my city still had copies, that saved me an extra $10 in shipping.

Fortunately the 2020-2022 Annuals will be collected in trades in February 2023 (along with FCBD 2022 and Opening Moves). I guess better late than never.

Mechapod 07-31-2022 06:43 AM

Single issues for me. I enjoy the magazine/periodical format and also the individual covers, letter columns, and even the advertisements once they become nostalgia fodder.

Powder 07-31-2022 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechapod (Post 1940040)
Single issues for me. I enjoy the magazine/periodical format and also the individual covers, letter columns, and even the advertisements once they become nostalgia fodder.

This. There's no better way, especially considering the butchering some companies have done with classic material. Miscolored, pages missing, arbitrary alterations, etc.

Coola Yagami 07-31-2022 11:36 AM

In the dark, sobbing to myself, ashamed that the only thing in my miserable life that has some semblance of joy is reading a children's book about walking talking turtles while pathetically fantasizing about ****ing April O'Neil.

Oh um.. I mean, single issues, in physical form.

Nortock Diab 08-01-2022 03:04 AM

I'm all for single issues for several reasons:
1) Not every issue is collected
2) I'm a reader but also a collector who likes tracking hard to find issues
3) I love the nostalgia vibe of the single issues and I barely feel anything for collected books
4) I enjoy reading the letters page

I started buying the IDW run with their HC collection though. It was the easiest way to read the whole run in chronological order. Yet when #100 was getting closer I switched to single issues in order to read the book in physical form as soon as it was released.

Whenever a collected book is the only way to read a story, I would go for it.

Cowabung-Gal 08-01-2022 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1940053)
In the dark, sobbing to myself, ashamed that the only thing in my miserable life that has some semblance of joy is reading a children's book about walking talking turtles while pathetically fantasizing about ****ing April O'Neil.

Oh um.. I mean, single issues, in physical form.

If it’s any consolation, I still sleep with a rag doll that I’ve had since I was a baby.

Andrew NDB 08-01-2022 10:14 AM

I mean, lately? I don't, really.

Ninjinister 08-01-2022 11:21 AM

With my eyes, Bert.

Stu_Padasso 08-02-2022 10:59 PM

I “rediscovered“ the fandom through the older black and white comics and the IDW run only about a year ago, so trade paperbacks have been the quickest and more cost-effective way to catch up. Got The Last Ronin on hardcover, though.

AwakeTea 08-04-2022 11:24 PM

It actually took me a while to decide how I wanted to follow the comic.

I started by buying #125-127 and Annual 2021 as individual issues. While I loved reading TMNT in this format and appreciated that I’d be able to stay up to date, I didn’t like the idea of constantly checking release dates to learn when I could get my next small 22 page fix. I also don’t like storing individual comics very much as they have no spine to display.

My preferred method ended up being the beautifully convenient IDW Collections (especially the paperback version). Unfortunately while these were perfect for catching up on older issues, they were about 2 years behind the current, meaning I wouldn’t be able to participate in this community very much. That did count as a negative for me.

So then I looked into the trade paperbacks. With these I found that they were very comfortable to hold, current enough to participate in the forum, and convenient enough that I’d only have to buy 2-4 books a year. When I realized they didn’t contain every single issue I nearly decided against them. But then I learned about digital.

Digital is my least liked format, but it is very, very accessible. Because of this I figured that if I went the trade route... and the trades skipped something... I could always just spend $3 on Comixlogy to fill the gap and fulfill my curiosity.

So in conclusion: I’ve chosen to read everything post-100 via trade paperback, using digital only if something gets skipped over. At the same time I’ll be collecting pre-100 via the paperback editions of the IDW Collection. These will maybe replace my trades should they ever catch up.

So Trades/Collections/Digital.