The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New He-Man Netflix Series (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=61763)

Vegita-San 08-18-2019 04:35 PM

New He-Man Netflix Series
 
After the crap that is she-ra, I am VERY VERY scared.

Candy Kappa 08-18-2019 04:45 PM

She-ra is fantastic, you just lack taste.

I'm excited for a new show.

TurtleTitan97 08-18-2019 04:51 PM

Can confirm, She-Ra is awesome.

ABrown 08-18-2019 04:56 PM

"picking up from where the original 80's animated series left off". Hmm, well the last that was seen from that series was crossovers with She-Ra. So, I'm not sure what exactly what that will mean.

Me personally, I would've rather seen a continuation of the 2002 Mike Young Productions He-Man series. But that'll probably never happen.

The Netflix She-Ra series has been, interesting. But I wish it would've been an action cartoon. I would assume that this series will be.

JonesyKitty 08-18-2019 04:58 PM

I'll also say I actually enjoyed She-Ra. I did'nt think I would but my girlfriend likes it so I gave it a shot. We binged the whole series and by the end I actually really liked it. Only complaint was some of the animation looked cheap and shoddy occassionally.

Autbot_Benz 08-18-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Kappa (Post 1816167)
She-ra is fantastic, you just lack taste.

I'm excited for a new show.

no he doesn't lack taste he just hates women :lol:.

Anyway you got the super fanboy himself Kevin Smith as Showrunner so its gonna be good

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 08-18-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABrown (Post 1816169)
The Netflix She-Ra series has been, interesting. But I wish it would've been an action cartoon.

It is referred to as "action-adventure", "science fantasy", "magical girl" (is that really a genre, I would rather say concept) and "sword and planet".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She-Ra...esses_of_Power

Candy Kappa 08-18-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan (Post 1816176)
"magical girl" (is that really a genre, I would rather say concept)

It's a genre: The “magical girl” (mahou shoujo) genre is an anime genre that involves a female protagonist who is able to use magic. Typically, they are able to transform into some kind of magical superhero to defend against evil forces.

neatoman 08-18-2019 05:55 PM

Just gonna point out here that there has only really been three He-Man cartoons and two She-Ra in MotU's nearly 40 year history, and only the first He-Man was known commercially successful (the new She-Ra might be, but it's one of those streaming shows that treat 6 episodes as an entire season, so who really knows). Not to mention how the new She-Ra was the first MotU cartoon in 14 years. And the comics seems like they can't keep an ongoing for more than two years.

I'm not a fan of this franchise but it seems kind of odd to me that something can enjoy so much success for the first two years, then never manage to bounce back despite numerous attempts at a revival. Transformers cartoons have basically never had more than a two year gap between them since 1996, and all three concluded TMNT cartoons have 120+ episodes each. What's preventing MotU from catching on again?

Allio 08-18-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Kappa (Post 1816167)
She-ra is fantastic, you just lack taste.

I'm excited for a new show.

It’s an okay show at best

Vegita-San 08-18-2019 06:11 PM

it's best to ignore the trolls that still think it's 2016 :)


Anyway, as to success of series.. blame cartoon network for the 2002 shows downfall. I think that show could have easily run for 5 years if the toys where better and the time slot was stable.

TommyT 08-18-2019 07:22 PM

I’m having trouble with the Kevin Smith part. He’s about as anti action as it get’s, and basically dick and fart jokes. This is Michael Bay and TMNT all over again.

Vegita-San 08-18-2019 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 1816191)
I’m having trouble with the Kevin Smith part. He’s about as anti action as it get’s, and basically dick and fart jokes. This is Michael Bay and TMNT all over again.

yeah, that, and the description that makes it sound more like a teela quest series than a he-man series.

Too early to get interested yet.

TommyT 08-18-2019 08:17 PM

Teela is cool, but the set up sounds like He-Man will be missing for most of the show, while they try to find the Powersword.

I’m also not too excited for yet another re-imagining of this universe. He-Man worked as a weird show, with a whimsical internal logic that you just kind of accepted as a kid. The revamp in the 00’s tried way to hard to ground it, if you ask me.

Smith is not as terrible as the crazy person running She-ra, but equally unsuited to bring MOTU back. Smith doesn’t do absurd, he’s the guy who thought through super sperm, and its deadly effects on Lois Lane. He’ll want to explain the magic, not add to it. This is bad news all aroond.

newfan 08-19-2019 01:28 AM

I'll take a look for curiosity, I'd rather it didn't have the same animation as the She-Ra show but that isn't likely.

ZariusTwo 08-19-2019 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfan (Post 1816217)
I'll take a look for curiosity, I'd rather it didn't have the same animation as the She-Ra show but that isn't likely.

The people behind Castlevania are animating it, it's not going to look like She-Ra at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allio (Post 1816184)
It’s an okay show at best

yeah, the Katra and Adora stuff aside it's just...there really. People only make a big deal out of it because "muh representation"

AT-Man 08-19-2019 05:05 AM

First of all, the new She-Ra is great. I've got no idea what to expect from MOTU Revelation yet, so I'll just wait for more information. If it'll continue from where the Filmation show left off... more weekly episodes with little to no connective tissue?

TommyT 08-19-2019 08:31 AM

Pixel Dan interviewed Kevin Smith. He promised none of his ideas were going to be in this, and that they were just going to continue the show.

Skinrash 08-19-2019 12:54 PM

The quality of Kevin Smith's output seem to be very inconsistent. This could go either way.

drgon78 08-19-2019 01:02 PM

The new She-Ra is utter garbage and is She-Ra only in name. I don't care about Netflix, the only thing I even liked from them is Stranger Things.

AquaParade 08-19-2019 01:14 PM

Okay, so I heard Kevin Smith hinting about what this project could be, over the last couple months, on one of his talk-shows. I didn't want to say anything prematurely, which turned out to be a good thing, because I almost thought he was working on something for TMNT.

He kept saying it was a nostalgic property, not Marvel or DC, etc...Basically, it sounded like it could be a TMNT project. Honestly, even though He-Man is quite different from turtles, I feel like I wasn't far off with my guess, in a way.

Sounds crazy, but so did Kevin Smith working on He-Man and now we have it. Apparently it's inspired by the old He-Man promo and toy artwork. I could have almost imagined some Nick exec's trying to get the "new", lighthearted Kevin Smith to somewhat sterilize his stoner-humor and produce an 80's throwback to TMNT for netflix, based on the whacky, psychedelic artwork we saw on the original Playmates figures.

And I really feel like if you can't dive deep enough into the grit and danger that a "serious" version of TMNT requires, then you really should flip the switch and go 100% into the zany, whacky, colorful, psychedelic, potentially trippy side of TMNT. Like, I respect what 2k3 tried to do, but to me, it was caught in limbo. When you want to be serious, but you can't reflect on the the true consequences of violence, you're fighting a serious uphill battle. Best to go with the current in that case.

Autbot_Benz 08-19-2019 02:07 PM

https://i.imgur.com/kwIoCH4.jpg

All the usual whiny people on the internet are whining and crying woke just because Teela is the one who has to find the missing power sword. Its hilarious watching these people get their panties in a bunch.

ZariusTwo 08-19-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz (Post 1816261)
https://i.imgur.com/kwIoCH4.jpg

All the usual whiny people on the internet are whining and crying woke just because Teela is the one who has to find the missing power sword. Its hilarious watching these people get their panties in a bunch.

This is how masculinity dies...with thunderous laughter :roll:

Don't have a problem with Teela being the lead (hopefully Adam accompanies her on the quest and they connect more), but I do find it interesting why cucks always have to post how "amused" they are that people are expressing legit concern over more pro-female lead propaganda in their shows..like it gives them power or superiority over them. Not big, not clever. Women aren't even attracted to these kind of ass kissers, they're considered walkovers.

Vegita-San 08-19-2019 03:05 PM

Autbot really needs to pick a side. he can't keep straddling the fence and expect to walk out with a pair.


As for this show, it REALLY sounds like it's going to be a teela journey, with minimal he-man.

Either that, or He-Man will be STUCK He-Man until the power sword is found.
I can't imagine it being all adam all the time.

ZariusTwo 08-19-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegita-San (Post 1816266)
I can't imagine it being all adam all the time.

I can, it's a common criticism of the original show that Adam was more of a wallflower, quick witted, but lacking in courage as part of the facade, but on occasion (like in "The Game Master"), Adam had to step up when he didn't have the sword and Teela admits at the end that some of Adam's qualities are what she looks for in a man, I'd like to see more of what Adam's capable of around Teela without the sword.

Vegita-San 08-19-2019 03:54 PM

Very true.

it would be nice to see more of that, especially if she's let in on the secret.

TommyT 08-19-2019 08:54 PM

Letting Teela in on the secret is a mistake, unless she does become the Sorceress.

Anyone know if they ever resolved the green snake Teela and the one from Filmation?

sdp 08-19-2019 09:59 PM

So this Netflix reboot is actualllya sequel to the original show? It's not in continuity with the She-Ra Netflix show?

I don't understand that reasoning, is it planned to be aimed at 40 year olds? Is the concept of He-Man even able to be interesting for kids?

TommyT 08-19-2019 10:04 PM

Considering the massive fan response, a continuation was exactly the right move.

Autbot_Benz 08-19-2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1816308)
I don't understand that reasoning, is it planned to be aimed at 40 year olds?

Well for the fact its taking place after the original cartoon ended and then announced at Powercon the biggest He-Man convention should answer your question.

TommyT 08-19-2019 11:15 PM

I mean, I’m skeptical as hell, but, hell, why not make it for 40 year olds? I mean, is there any point in trying to get kids hyped? We’ll spend 10x the amont our parents did, on toys for us. It actually makes a lot of sense.

ZariusTwo 08-20-2019 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 1816304)
Letting Teela in on the secret is a mistake

How the hell is character advancement a mistake?

Zulithe 08-20-2019 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1816308)
Is the concept of He-Man even able to be interesting for kids?

I'm skeptical, but if they can make the right changes then maybe. I hope that it can work because usually they would just completely reboot and reimagine every aspect which can result in an unappealing monstrosity that barely resembles the original source -- kinda like Rise of the TMNT :tlol:

It's refreshing to see them just say they are going to continue the original. That way they have a built-in fanbase but can still make alterations to make the show more appetizing for a modern audience.

They showed off a new line of toys priced at 14.99 a figure (with much better articulation and detailing than the original MotU figures) and at that price point they are trying to target kids. Sooo... we'll see what happens.

sdp 08-20-2019 10:21 PM

I think He-Man is just too of its time to be able to grab new kids, a new show continuing off the old one is definitely not the way to go either, the 2002 show seemed to know what to do but it didn't work. And no, going for 40 year olds is not going to be a good strategy even if they have a lot of income, it takes more than just a dedicated niche fandom.

The original show is just so dated, why would they want to continue that, the tone of the new show would just clash with the original unless it's only a sequel in the sense of "similar events happened but in a cooler fashion". A shame that they're both Netflix series and He-Ra won't be in continuity with this one. I'm not too invested in He-Man didn't grow up on it, have always been mildly curious about it.

Wasn't the space Adventures of He-Man also a direct sequel?

TommyT 08-21-2019 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1816470)
I think He-Man is just too of its time to be able to grab new kids, a new show continuing off the old one is definitely not the way to go either, the 2002 show seemed to know what to do but it didn't work. And no, going for 40 year olds is not going to be a good strategy even if they have a lot of income, it takes more than just a dedicated niche fandom.

The original show is just so dated, why would they want to continue that, the tone of the new show would just clash with the original unless it's only a sequel in the sense of "similar events happened but in a cooler fashion". A shame that they're both Netflix series and He-Ra won't be in continuity with this one. I'm not too invested in He-Man didn't grow up on it, have always been mildly curious about it.

Wasn't the space Adventures of He-Man also a direct sequel?

I mean, that’s a fascinating opinion, but you’re clearly not the target demo. The response has been ridiculous. Nobody wondered why they brought back Star Wars, which is definitely of it’s time as well.

And right now, the 4 year old boys who were being ignored by their working moms in the 80’s are 40 year old men who are being ignored and put down by women all over again. Just like when they were helpless little boys, they want to scream

“i have the power”.

ZariusTwo 08-21-2019 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1816470)
The original show is just so dated

The original show had a lot of genuinely well written episodes. Paul Dini, JMS, Bob Forward, it had a lot of notable names working on it.
Quote:

why would they want to continue that
Because it has a fascinating lore that can be exploited.

Quote:

Wasn't the space Adventures of He-Man also a direct sequel?
It was, and to date is the only He-Man series to have a conclusion (though a second season was planned)

Coola Yagami 08-21-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 1816480)
I mean, that’s a fascinating opinion, but you’re clearly not the target demo. The response has been ridiculous. Nobody wondered why they brought back Star Wars, which is definitely of it’s time as well.

And right now, the 4 year old boys who were being ignored by their working moms in the 80’s are 40 year old men who are being ignored and put down by women all over again. Just like when they were helpless little boys, they want to scream

“i have the power”.

Pretty sure if a man yells out 'I have the power' nowadays he'll be surrounded by people yelling patriarchy, check your privilege, or just women in general saying 'no you don't'.

TommyT 08-21-2019 01:21 PM

Yeah, exactly why I think this show could find an audience in the over 40 crowd.

Andrew NDB 08-21-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1816265)
Don't have a problem with Teela being the lead (hopefully Adam accompanies her on the quest and they connect more), but I do find it interesting why cucks always have to post how "amused" they are that people are expressing legit concern over more pro-female lead propaganda in their shows..like it gives them power or superiority over them.

I tend to ignore it, but yeah, that's a thing. "You guys are losing your minds! LOLZ!!!"/"who's the snowflake now??" etc..

Eh, no.

Say, does this mean the "real" She-Ra could show up on the show?

Vegita-San 08-21-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1816490)
Pretty sure if a man yells out 'I have the power' nowadays he'll be surrounded by people yelling patriarchy, check your privilege, or just women in general saying 'no you don't'.

yep. People these days can smell an agenda a mile a way...or are at least attuned to the possability of it.

considering Teela was never a main character before... in that sense like Man At Arms, or He-Man where...the wording in there is a bit troubling.

But, like Zarius said, it could also mean that this will help expand adam's character more, so long as they actually care about story and don't go the she-na route.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.