The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   129 preview and discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=65026)

lonewarrior20 05-24-2022 02:36 PM

129 preview and discussion

https://majorspoilers.com/2022/05/24...ja-turtles-129

so, the frogs were just visiting from Florida when the bomb went off.

CyberCubed 05-24-2022 03:58 PM

So I guess this is the first series the Punk Frogs were humans before mutation. In both the original cartoon and Nick 2012 cartoon they were ordinary frogs that got mutated. They never appeared in the Archie comics so this was it beforehand.

superstaff 05-24-2022 06:35 PM

I still find the Venus plot super cringy and off-putting.

I don't get why they felt we needed two female mutant turtles, and both that take up so much space/prominence from the actual stars of the comic. Ugh.

Leo656 05-24-2022 06:38 PM

"bEcaUsE rePreSenTatiOn!"

superstaff 05-24-2022 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1931453)
"bEcaUsE rePreSenTatiOn!"

Oh, yeah.

TMNT never had interesting non-white, non-male, (non-human?) characters before Jennika came along! /s

They went on, and on that little girls need mutant female turtles to look up to. Jeez. I don't think kid me would've liked Jennika at all, and not just because I was already a huge fan of April. Jennika is just...a flatline.

ChosenOne 05-24-2022 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstaff (Post 1931461)
Oh, yeah.

TMNT never had interesting non-white, non-male, (non-human?) characters before Jennika came along! /s

They went on, and on that little girls need mutant female turtles to look up to. Jeez. I don't think kid me would've liked Jennika at all, and not just because I was already a huge fan of April. Jennika is just...a flatline.

Back in the day, April and Ninjara was all we needed.

Leo656 05-24-2022 08:05 PM

They were presented as straight. Not "progressive" enough in these modern times. It's not enough to have a prominent female character. It means nothing unless she licks beaver. Straight women only count as 5/8s Female anymore.

There's rules to these things, man. Try and keep up.

superstaff 05-24-2022 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1931465)
They were presented as straight. Not "progressive" enough in these modern times. It's not enough to have a prominent female character. It means nothing unless she licks beaver. Straight women only count as 5/8s Female anymore.

April's never been confirmed as 100% straight, so. :lol:

Leo656 05-24-2022 08:12 PM

All Women Are Gay, yes. They don't all practice, but they're all inherently swishy, sure.

Which is why I said April and Ninjara were presented as straight. :trazz: In that they only ever outspokenly pined for dudes.

Meanwhile, April lets Oyuki, a near-total stranger, just up and move in with her rent-free and almost no questions asked... uh huh. SOME of us knew what was really going on, there. "Bow-chicka-BOW-wowwwww..." :lol:

That's hot. That's a hot way to live.

ChosenOne 05-24-2022 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1931465)

There's rules to these things, man. Try and keep up.

Everything you just said, while sadly true, does the exact opposite of keeping me up. Figuratively speaking.

Leo656 05-24-2022 08:25 PM

What about the April/Oyuki scenario I proposed above? That certainly does a fine job of keeping me "up". HI-YOOOOOOO! :tgrin:

Zog The Magnificent 05-24-2022 08:30 PM

I like that every conversation eventually gets to this point. Usually it takes longer, but I suppose there would have to be more substance in the comic for us to talk about to delay it.

Leo656 05-24-2022 08:34 PM

I do my best! Tips are appreciated.

ChosenOne 05-24-2022 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1931476)
I do my best! Tips are appreciated.

Just the tips? :tlol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent (Post 1931475)
I like that every conversation eventually gets to this point. Usually it takes longer, but I suppose there would have to be more substance in the comic for us to talk about to delay it.

I call it Campbell's Law.

superstaff 05-24-2022 08:52 PM

I unironically liked April/Oyuki.

I think Adventures did a better job with the relationships than the recent IDW comics have, which is ironic since IDW has more 'shipping'. Believe me, I enjoy good romances... What the Mutant Town stuff's had...is not.

Leo656 05-24-2022 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChosenOne (Post 1931478)
Just the tips? :tlol:

Well I could certainly never take the whole thing. :trazz:

https://c.tenor.com/N6xoSxUMyjUAAAAC...ie-rimshot.gif

Leo656 05-24-2022 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstaff (Post 1931482)
I unironically liked April/Oyuki.

I think Adventures did a better job with the relationships than the recent IDW comics have, which is ironic since IDW has more 'shipping'. Believe me, I enjoy good romances... What the Mutant Town stuff's had...is not.

Definitely felt less forced in the Archie books. And considering how heavy-handed that series could be at times, that says something.

I never liked how Archie did the Raph/Ninjara break-up, though. That was terrible. She all but openly wishes to go hop in this other guy's bed, right in front of her current boyfriend... and yet RAPH is the bad guy for "losing his temper" and "having a bad attitude" and all that? UGH. None of that was believable, to me. At least not the book's insistence that Ninjara was "right" and Raph was "wrong". That's completely backwards. If your girlfriend is openly making bedroom eyes at another dude while knowing full well that it makes you uncomfortable, she's a slut and you're allowed to be cranky about it.

Which was a shame, because before that I really liked Ninjara. And I get they needed to force a break-up and everything, but that whole thing was just awful. In the back of my mind, I still can't really look at her without thinking of her as "The skank who used Raph's 'negative attitude' as an excuse to go f*ck some other guy", as women are wont to do. And the Furrlough story confirms that she didn't wait very long at all before hopping right on Mokoshan's dick once Raph was out of the picture. So again, how was Raph the bad guy for being suspicious in the first place?

Shame. But I mean... that is a thing some women do, so... I guess it was realistic. I just didn't like how it went down because it made me like Ninjara less and before that I'd had no problem with her.

Coola Yagami 05-24-2022 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1931485)

I never liked how Archie did the Raph/Ninjara break-up, though. That was terrible. She all but openly wishes to go hop in this other guy's bed, right in front of her current boyfriend... and yet RAPH is the bad guy for "losing his temper" and "having a bad attitude" and all that? UGH. None of that was believable, to me. At least not the book's insistence that Ninjara was "right" and Raph was "wrong". That's completely backwards. If your girlfriend is openly making bedroom eyes at another dude while knowing full well that it makes you uncomfortable, she's a slut and you're allowed to be cranky about it.

Reminds me of Macho Man, overly jealous and overly protective around Elizabeth so she wouldn't sleep with other guys. What's the first thing she does when she gets a bit of independence? Sleep with other guys. I don't condone Macho Man's methods but wow Elizabeth, you reeeeaalllly proved him wrong, ya skank.

superstaff 05-24-2022 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1931485)
Definitely felt less forced in the Archie books. And considering how heavy-handed that series could be at times, that says something.

Which was a shame, because before that I really liked Ninjara. And I get they needed to force a break-up and everything, but that whole thing was just awful. In the back of my mind, I still can't really look at her without thinking of her as "The skank who used Raph's 'negative attitude' as an excuse to go f*ck some other guy", as women are wont to do. And the Furrlough story confirms that she didn't wait very long at all before hopping right on Mokoshan's dick once Raph was out of the picture. So again, how was Raph the bad guy for being suspicious in the first place?

Shame. But I mean... that is a thing some women do, so... I guess it was realistic. I just didn't like how it went down because it made me like Ninjara less and before that I'd had no problem with her.

I felt the same way you did when I first read those comics some years ago, but...meh. I've been very forgiving especially given that was one of the few things I didn't like in the TMNT Adventures run. I still really like Ninjara, mostly because I tend to not hold bad writing against characters. If I did, I'd hate most DC and Marvel heroes by now...

Coola Yagami 05-24-2022 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstaff (Post 1931487)
I felt the same way you did when I first read those comics some years ago, but...meh. I've been very forgiving especially given that was one of the few things I didn't like in the TMNT Adventures run. I still really like Ninjara, mostly because I tend to not hold bad writing against characters. If I did, I'd hate most DC and Marvel heroes by now...

The part that bugs me the worst if they broke up even after Future Raph warned them about it. What a waste. And it was clear she was pretty much the love of his life by how hurt Future Raph was.

I always figured he got that other fix girl cause he realized even going back in time didn't fix things and it was meant to be.