The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Official 2014 Review Thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48565)

Puddinpop 08-04-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stugehen (Post 1321449)
I can't help but notice an apparent double standard here with review for TMNT vs Gaurdians of the Galaxy. I haven't seen TMNT yet so what I say should be taken in stride. But with GotG it's got such a high RT score with critics embracing its ludicracy and cheesy humor. But of course with the TMNT its too ridiculous to take seriously. Sure there's a fart joke in TMNT and that's stupid, but there were numerous dick jokes in GotG and no one bats an eye.

Don't forget the black light joke lol. I really enjoyed GOTG. I'll actually admit that it's my favorite Marvel film.. by far. But it had the same exact plot as Age of Extinction and both plots were very messy imo. TMNT and GOTG are equally as ludicrous to me.. But I totally agree with you 100%. The plot can have wholes and be extremely generic when it has the Marvel tag on it. If it has a Bay tag.. forget it. Double standards are very obvious. No way around it. Shell tightening.. offensive.. Black light semen joke? No problem.

Bry 08-04-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stugehen (Post 1321449)
I can't help but notice an apparent double standard here with review for TMNT vs Gaurdians of the Galaxy. I haven't seen TMNT yet so what I say should be taken in stride. But with GotG it's got such a high RT score with critics embracing its ludicracy and cheesy humor. But of course with the TMNT its too ridiculous to take seriously. Sure there's a fart joke in TMNT and that's stupid, but there were numerous dick jokes in GotG and no one bats an eye.

I think a part of that might be whether or not there's anything "more" to it than that. Two movies can have similar jokes and content, but one might tap into some "deeper" meaning or emotion than the other and feel like a fuller story. Or might handle that material in a different, more compelling/interesting way. At least in the opinion of the reviewer, at least.

The Boston Ninja Turtle 08-04-2014 01:29 PM

if i movie a driven by the jokes it becomes one of those "scary movie" type films

im not saying tmnt is like that but atleast from what ive heard the script is written around the st up of the "jokes"

guppy8466 08-04-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Farago (Post 1321456)
Official runtime of the movie is listed at 101 minutes. It's a tight, fast movie.

That's a little less than what I would like, but as long this movie does the franchise and fans justice and remain true to core elements I'm fine w that. Plus we're definitely getting a sequel and hopefully a trilogy out of this, they would be dumb not to. The release is getting so close! I can feel my shell tightening!

TigerClaw 08-04-2014 01:51 PM

Just noticed Rotten Tomatoes adding another review, So far 3 Fresh, 4 Rotten, Still at 50%, The newest review which is rotten, Coming from Topless Robot
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2014/08/...nitwits_in.php

Here's a quote from it.
Quote:

The way people have been talking about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, you'd think Michael Bay directed it. After seeing it, you may wish he had. I did.

The Boston Ninja Turtle 08-04-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1321473)
Just noticed Rotten Tomatoes adding another review, So far 3 Fresh, 4 Rotten, Still at 50%, The newest review which is rotten, Coming from Topless Robot
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2014/08/...nitwits_in.php

Here's a quote from it.

not to start nothing but thats actually not a positive review, the guy pretty much said it was crap and the only way its acceptable would be if bay himself directed it

TigerClaw 08-04-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle (Post 1321475)
not to start nothing but thats actually not a positive review, the guy pretty much said it was crap and the only way its acceptable would be if bay himself directed it

Which is why its seen as Rotten.

LincolnHawk 08-04-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guppy8466 (Post 1321471)
That's a little less than what I would like, but as long this movie does the franchise and fans justice and remain true to core elements I'm fine w that. Plus we're definitely getting a sequel and hopefully a trilogy out of this, they would be dumb not to. The release is getting so close! I can feel my shell tightening!

was hoping it was more aroud 120min

Radical Raph 08-04-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Official runtime of the movie is listed at 101 minutes. It's a tight, fast movie.

I wonder if this has anything to do with them having to cut certain scenes with Fichtner to accommodate him no longer playing Shredder.

Galactus 08-04-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guppy8466 (Post 1321471)

Well as a fan it doesn't feel like it's doing me or the franchise justice but hey I'm just one guy. Given the numbers it's predicted to make I'd say a sequel talk is a li'l optimistic.

In fact I'm not sure I'd want one unless they did a Hulk/Incredible Hulk were it's visually and tonaly different and be a case that as "well it can be a taken as a sequel or it could be taken as a reboot, it's up to you".

TigerClaw 08-04-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Honestly That's an even better Runtime then the previous movies.

TMNT 1990 = 1 Hour 33 Minutes
TMNT 2: The Secret of the Ooze = 1 Hour 28 Minutes
TMNT 3: Turtles in Time = 1 Hour 36 Minutes
TMNT 2007 = 1 Hour 27 Minutes
TMNT 2014 = 1 Hour 41 Minutes

The new film is practically the longest of all 5 films, Surpassing the running time of Turtles In Time.

Given the stuff that ended up in the cutting room floor

SwiftNinjaFox 08-04-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1321485)
Honestly That's an even better Runtime then the previous movies.

TMNT 1990 = 1 Hour 33 Minutes
TMNT 2: The Secret of the Ooze = 1 Hour 28 Minutes
TMNT 3: Turtles in Time = 1 Hour 36 Minutes
TMNT 2007 = 1 Hour 27 Minutes
TMNT 2014 = 1 Hour 41 Minutes

The new film is practically the longest of all 5 films, Surpassing the running time of Turtles In Time.

Given the stuff that ended up in the cutting room floor

Eh, and extra 5-9 minutes?

I've always wondered, does the run time include credits? I thought it did, which I would be there are way more credits on this one. Films these days seem to have much larger crews and CG heavy ones WAY more.

Plus Liebesman said it's about 90 minutes, didn't he? Figure 90 minutes + 10 minutes credits would make sense.

TigerClaw 08-04-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox (Post 1321488)
Eh, and extra 5-9 minutes?

I've always wondered, does the run time include credits? I thought it did, which I would be there are way more credits on this one. Films these days seem to have much larger crews and CG heavy ones WAY more.

Plus Liebesman said it's about 90 minutes, didn't he? Figure 90 minutes + 10 minutes credits would make sense.

Yeah Runtime typically include the credits and post credit scenes if there was any.

Warhorse 08-04-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radical Raph (Post 1321482)
I wonder if this has anything to do with them having to cut certain scenes with Fichtner to accommodate him no longer playing Shredder.

I heard they cut some scenes where April gets to kick some butt. If they cut scenes that involve the humans, I'm OK with that, it's when they cut scenes that can expand on the Turtles more is when I get pissed off. I still think the 1990 movie would have benefited more if there was some extra scenes on the farm concerning more Mikey and the getting back to training mode.

guppy8466 08-04-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galactus (Post 1321484)
Well as a fan it doesn't feel like it's doing me or the franchise justice but hey I'm just one guy. Given the numbers it's predicted to make I'd say a sequel talk is a li'l optimistic.

In fact I'm not sure I'd want one unless they did a Hulk/Incredible Hulk were it's visually and tonaly different and be a case that as "well it can be a taken as a sequel or it could be taken as a reboot, it's up to you".

I completely understand stand where people are put off by this new take. Me personally tho am pretty open minded to new takes on things, as long as it's done well. Not just taking something and just randomly taking out parts and replacing them with something else and just saying, bc I thought it would be cool. As long as they take the time to explain the changes they've made and fill us in to why they did throughout the movie or just in a quick scene. Nothing worse than walking out of a movie and thinking, 'wtf just happened?!'. If I knew how to add pics to my post this is where I would place willem Dafoe from the platoon movie poster

Vicky82 08-04-2014 03:56 PM

Gone down to 38% now :cry:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/teen..._turtles_2013/

TigerClaw 08-04-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky82 (Post 1321550)

Yep, 3 Fresh 5 Rotten, The review came from Cinemablend
http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/T...les-66268.html
Quote:

Entirely hollow, poorly put together, and will require an audience on its level of stupidity to survive. Don't be one of its supporters.

Bmaga123 08-04-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1321552)

It doesn't help when most critics are not fans of the Ninja Turtles and probably had there opinion made up well before seeing the film :-(

Radical Raph 08-04-2014 04:03 PM

Seriously, did most people expect it to get good reviews?

I was cautiously optimistic at best. I have a feeling most critics were already prepared to hate this thing. But the legitimate sounding critiques about awkward editing does have me a bit worried. Nothing pulls you out of a story like bad editing... or perhaps editing that was designed to hide certain story details...

voltron80 08-04-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmaga123 (Post 1321556)
It doesn't help when most critics are not fans of the Ninja Turtles and probably had there opinion made up well before seeing the film :-(

Regarding critics:

http://img.pandawhale.com/25451-tumb...u8gif-U9Pf.gif

Warboss74 08-04-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Give me a break.

LincolnHawk 08-04-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by voltron80 (Post 1321561)

The True Shredder said it best

Quote:

this is just a review about a person'a opinion about the movie. But to be fair I say that to the others on this thread complaining about the review or saying its horrible. Seriously it's just your opinion also and I really don't care about yours either. I'll make my own review of the movie and not let you or IGN make an ultimatum for me.

RaphaelinSTL 08-04-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1321552)

Call me crazy but I found that Cinemablend review hilarious. Dude clearly has a bone to pick.

Xav 08-04-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

And most critics must be hardcore fans of the Guardians of the Galaxy comics right?

LincolnHawk 08-04-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xav (Post 1321585)
and most critics must be hardcore fans of the guardians of the galaxy comics right?

bam!!!!!!!

Warhorse 08-04-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xav (Post 1321585)
And most critics must be hardcore fans of the Guardians of the Galaxy comics right?

Not sure what you mean here.

xChri5x 08-04-2014 05:01 PM

Rottentomatoes is notoriously harsh with most movies. IMDB ratings have a fairer assessment. Even though TMNT has a rating right now, usually they are higher when a movie is just coming out. I think it will settle in the 6 range... maybe around 6.5 which on IMDB is considered a "good" movie.

Warhorse 08-04-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xChri5x (Post 1321600)
Rottentomatoes is notoriously harsh with most movies. IMDB ratings have a fairer assessment. Even though TMNT has a rating right now, usually they are higher when a movie is just coming out. I think it will settle in the 6 range... maybe around 6.5 which on IMDB is considered a "good" movie.

Pft, IMDb? The site where the fan boys will vote 10 across the boards and the trolls vote 0. I'd rather stick with metascore.

Xav 08-04-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhorse (Post 1321598)
Not sure what you mean here.

If people are giving the film bad reviews because they not fans of the Turtles, than why is Guardians of the Galaxy getting such great reviews? Were those reviewers all fans of Guardians of the Galaxy before they saw the movie?

Commenter 42 08-04-2014 05:15 PM

The plants here will slowly and steadily whither and die over the next month, and I for one can hardly wait.

No amount of paid posters can hide the fact that this film is exactly what Eric Eisenberg stated it to be. He does indeed sound like a "fan" whose more than pissed that such an unholy piece of garbage was made from something he loved.

Once the paychecks stop flowing, things will get back to normal around here.

voltron80 08-04-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commenter 42 (Post 1321611)
The plants here will slowly and steadily whither and die over the next month, and I for one can hardly wait.

No amount of paid posters can hide the fact that this film is exactly what Eric Eisenberg stated it to be. He does indeed sound like a "fan" whose more than pissed that such an unholy piece of garbage was made from something he loved.

http://i.imgur.com/Hh9usBm.gif

I'm from the future and I went back to the year 2010 to create this account to fight with bubble blowing babies about their hurt feelings about a movie about four giant mutant turtles. If this movie does well I hope you guys hide the razor blades.

Commenter 42 08-04-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xav (Post 1321607)
If people are giving the film bad reviews because they not fans of the Turtles, than why is Guardians of the Galaxy getting such great reviews? Were those reviewers all fans of Guardians of the Galaxy before they saw the movie?

Exactly. I've seen GOTG. I knew NOTHING about the film going in. I wasn't particularly interested in the premise to start with, nore do i care about the whole Marvel Vs DC BS.

It's not a great movie, not by a long shot. That's a film I'd give a 7 out of 10.
I wasn't dissapointed, per say, but it isn't really aimed at adults, so I might be outside the demo.

This TMNT however, from all previews, looks to be impossibly bad. Forget the arguments over the design. The story sounds like absolute trash.

Commenter 42 08-04-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voltron80 (Post 1321617)
http://i.imgur.com/Hh9usBm.gif

I'm from the future and I went back to the year 2010 to create this account to fight with bubble blowing babies about their hurt feelings about a movie about four giant mutant turtles. If this movie does well I hope you guys hide the razor blades.

I want you to waste your money dude. Go ahead. buy the stupid, badly painted toys. Get the T-shirt. do it.

This is a movie made for idiots. Go be one of them.

So, because you made the account in 2010, you're not a plant? When PD picked up the rights in 2009...how's that math working for you?

Purse Grabbin Puke 08-04-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commenter 42 (Post 1321611)

I just bought myself a Ferrari with all my "plant" money. Paramount is paying me a kings ransom to talk positively about this movie.

Warhorse 08-04-2014 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xav (Post 1321607)

Hard to say. Marvel in itself is starting to be like particular directors, critic darlings who can do no wrong. But I can play the other side, where it could be the fact that the critics and the audience truly doesn't know anything about the property, they were easily able to go in with an open mind. They already saw the trailers that pretty much set up the characters, so either you're on board with a talking raccoon that can shoot guns, or you're not.

The Turtles, I often wonder if it is the typical stereo types of each of the brothers, and nothing too complex about them that might be a turn off for critics. Or that they can't take things serious that also might be another thing critics frown upon. I also wonder if the franchise not having some sort of a critical darling name attached to it might also be a deterrent. Could the movies have been better received if Singer, Raimi, Spielberg or Vaughn was attached instead?

SwiftNinjaFox 08-04-2014 05:36 PM

Ah yes, all the "wait until it's out" and "don't judge it til you've seen it" comments for months and now that reviews from those who've seen it are negative, we'll hear about how they made up their mind beforehand or had a grudge against it or something. :roll:

Seriously, it's TMNT. It's never done tremendously well with critics and despite its worldwide popularity across different mediums, it's never been box office blockbuster gold. Kind of surprised the ravenous supporters (note: ravenous supporters, not *all* people who are excited for it, just some) would expect otherwise from the Rotten Tomatoes scores rolling in early.

If it settles around 50%, it's the best rating a TMNT film has ever gotten.

And it's not like Transformers or even *shudder* Resident Evil are strutting high praise on aggregate rating sites.

It's probably a pretty straightforward brain dead popcorn flick without too much depth. At 90 minutes long, there's not a lot of time for depth. It's probably a string of action scenes and jokes.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. It just doesn't make it critically praise-worthy. If it's fun and doesn't distort things too much (already got a glimpse of the new origin from an article....bleh), I'll still have fun watching it.

voltron80 08-04-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commenter 42 (Post 1321620)
I want you to waste your money dude. Go ahead. buy the stupid, badly painted toys. Get the T-shirt. do it.

Stealing a line from one of your buddies why aren't you respecting my opinion?? For a while I've read the reason many of you think the movie will be bad and it ranges from dumb to damn that's dumb. If I like it what is it to you? I'm not telling you if you don't back this movie 100% then you're not a real fan and you're an evil, evil person. I like dealing with internet fans who hate change more than vampires hate crosses. But I will say this if this movie does well I hope someone removes the sharp items from the basement.

MajorViolence 08-04-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox (Post 1321628)
Ah yes, all the "wait until it's out" and "don't judge it til you've seen it" comments for months and now that reviews from those who've seen it are negative, we'll hear about how they made up their mind beforehand or had a grudge against it or something. :roll:

Quoted for truth.

Autbot_Benz 08-04-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

So, because you made the account in 2010, you're not a plant? When PD picked up the rights in 2009...how's that math working for you?

http://i60.tinypic.com/161l10o.jpg

terrorblade 08-04-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with this guy?